Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Shoju » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:24 am

Contrary to popular belief, Mainland China is not what is holding back Pandaren from being in the game.

There are absolutely no laws in China that make this a problem, and there is at least 1 chinese MMORPG, and 1 MMOPvP style game that include Pandas as characters.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby halabar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:30 am

Shoju wrote:Contrary to popular belief, Mainland China is not what is holding back Pandaren from being in the game.

There are absolutely no laws in China that make this a problem, and there is at least 1 chinese MMORPG, and 1 MMOPvP style game that include Pandas as characters.


Considering the number of things they ban now.. (time travel, for example... Back to the Future and Terminator are persona non grata..) it wouldn't suprise me if they protested for some reason or another. They really don't need laws.. :D
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Dantriges » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 am

Centaur could be a bit problematic. Don´t know if the game would support clothing for them.
Would the long lower body be a problem then?
Can I wear a second set of boots eh hoofshoes like the draenei?

Would be funny somehow if you had an inbuilt mount or could even carry another guy.
Ogres could be one of the guys from Ogri´la. The others are a bit too slow in their thining process. Would they join the Alliance then? They have a long relationship with ors. No idea if they actually abused them during the wars.
Last edited by Dantriges on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dantriges
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Shoju » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 am

The Problem with Pandaren is simply a representational issue that culture jammed the race into a venerable Chinese animal, and fuedal japanese stylings.

Panda = Chinese
Samurai culture / weaponry / dress = Japanese.

They have taken steps and measures to correct this, and the Pandaren in game pet is a nice nod to the change, but the pandaren race as illustrated in early warcraft era items would have been offensive, but not illegal.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby alayire » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:52 am

Shoju wrote:The Problem with Pandaren is simply a representational issue that culture jammed the race into a venerable Chinese animal, and fuedal japanese stylings.

Panda = Chinese
Samurai culture / weaponry / dress = Japanese.

They have taken steps and measures to correct this, and the Pandaren in game pet is a nice nod to the change, but the pandaren race as illustrated in early warcraft era items would have been offensive, but not illegal.

uhm .. I'm a bit confused.
the Pandaren I know of from Warcraft is the Pandaren brew master hero from The Frozen Throne. I simply fail to see how he is a Japanese culture reference when he is a bare knuckle fighting drunken monk? O.o
[edit]Actually .. doesn't he wield a boo stick even?? I'm confusing him a bit with the Panda from Dota and the other Panda from HoN.
Even his outfit really looks Chinese to me, him and his 3 elemental avatars from his ultimate.

maybe I'm missing something here and there were other Pandaren references? O.o
Last edited by alayire on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
alayire
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:43 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby alayire » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:01 am

Shoju wrote:My original hope was that perhaps even just a "tribe" of satyrs joined the Horde. Maybe some tribe already in game, or even better, a tribe we haven't met. They break free of Xavius and realize the folley of their ways. They join the Horde because the Nelves don't trust them, and want to KoS.

For the Alliance, I was thinking about Ogres, though... they are REALLY big.

It is a shame that they want the silhouettes to be so noticeable. I would love to be able to choose Satyr / Ogre and then choose which faction I roll with.

Say.... you have a starting area similar to the Worgen area. Alliance and Horde both rushing in from opposite sides, looking for something other than the race that is there. It would work better with the Satyr, because it could be some thing they need to fend off the legion, and you kill the 'lead' satyr in the final quest, and gain part / half / all of the artifact from killing him, and you can then give it, or have used the help of, the faction that you wish to join. It would be a REALLY cool starting zone, and would introduce incredible player choice.


Personally, I would love this if implemented.
I really doubt Alliance will ever get Ogres since they have been part of the old Horde and have close ties to the new Horde as well. that and they are a shamanistic race to begin with. but that won't happen anyway .. Blizzard has already stated ogres won't become a playable class.

On the same note, Satyrs joining the Alliance makes much more sense since their only tie to the Horde is quite slim at best (the legion corruption approach). breaking free of a curse and being forgiven by the NE seems more manageable.

also Centaurs don't need to ride a land mount, I mean look at worgens. However flying mounts lol. not going to happen.
alayire
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:43 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:01 am

I think we're about done with new races. There aren't really any obvious candidates, and they won't want to bloat things with too many options.

(Wood nymphs, Centaur, Tol'vir are out because they can't use mounts. Ogres are too large. Naga have no legs to display leg and boot armor. Elementals tend to be have no legs. Faceless Ones would need to be redesigned to be more humanoid, ditto Drakonid and Giants. Elemental Ascendants would maybe be too human in silhouette with full armor on.

Satyr and Furbolg are possibly the only existing races that could fit as a playable one with minimal design work. Then again they could always pull a Draenei and have a new design based only loosely on existing things.)

Edit: Then again the Maloriak Dragonkin design might work. A bunch of mini-Maloriaks running around would be interesting to see. Damn, now I've thought of that I want to see it.

Edit2: Haha. Apparently there's suggestions out there that the Maloriak/Chromatic Prototype model was actually based on an unused player race concept.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4778
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Dantriges » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 am

Seems what´s left are high elves if they don´t care about blood elves on the other side, furbolgs, ogres and satyrs. Earthen could be an idea. vrykul perhaps but probably too big for most normal doors. Perhaps as something completely new they could introduce some elemental touched guys. Guys who got infused by free floating energies and as a small dark secret disillusioned Twilight Cultists who look for a new home after master is gone. Blizzard really likes to introduce races who are cursed/different or have other fundamental issues in some way. So they are following the tradition of the Forsaken, Blood Elves and Worgen.

They introduce something new every expansion. They probably want to introdue something new every xpac, so another race or class. A new race is easier, but a new class would have a bigger impact and perhaps interest more people who are bored with the old ones. the problem is that we already have 10 classes and 30 specs and they are already a bit difficult to balance. And probably a new class is too much.
Dantriges
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:44 am

alayire wrote:I really doubt Alliance will ever get Ogres since they have been part of the old Horde and have close ties to the new Horde as well. that and they are a shamanistic race to begin with. but that won't happen anyway .. Blizzard has already stated ogres won't become a playable class.

On the same note, Satyrs joining the Alliance makes much more sense since their only tie to the Horde is quite slim at best (the legion corruption approach). breaking free of a curse and being forgiven by the NE seems more manageable.

also Centaurs don't need to ride a land mount, I mean look at worgens. However flying mounts lol. not going to happen.


Wait... You think the Night Elves forgiving the Satyr is more plausible than them joining the horde because the orcs understand the demonic corruption of the legion? Seriously? I admit I don't read nearly as much as others on the boards, but from the knowledge I do have, the Night Elves forgiving the Satyr is as likely to happen as a Garrosh and Varian becoming Ozzy and Hariet style Life Mates storyline.

Ogres would take more work to make "fit" as a player race, but you could use a "the Horde abandoned us here" type thing, and the Gnomes decide that they think they would be Epic Land mounts and become friends with them. Plus, The Ogres could get Mekkatorque out of Gnomer... [sarcasm]

I don't know if you have noticed, but.... There are a couple of shaman totin' races in the alliance now.

But yes, if Blizz said they wont, then they wont... for now. They are HUGE, and that does bring about all kinds of problems.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 am

Following my previous post, I now want Satyr in the Horde and Chromatic Prototype dragons in the Alliance. Dear Blizzard: Make it so.


(More seriously, I wonder if maybe the balance between Kalimdor and EK needs to be considered. Is it time for another Kalimdor Alliance race and EK Horde? Satyr would most likely come from Kalimdor (but so would Furbolg!).)
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4778
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:25 am

There are Satyr in parts of EK aren't there? I could have sworn I saw some during TBC somewhere.....

I like the Chromatic Prototype dragonkin things too! It would give me an alliance race I could stick with too.... so that would be cool.


Make it so blizz. Make it so.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 am

I can't remember off hand ever seeing satyr in EK. Maybe in the blasted lands, but definitely nowhere else.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 am

There's the one Satyr in Duskwood that people used to kite to stormwind, but I think that's it.

Reading more on the dragons, seems they're called "Dragonmen" in the game files, and they use the same skeleton and animations as Worgen, which means they'd have to be changed to be playable.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4778
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 am

That's because all the satyr on EK are Rogues.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby alayire » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:43 am

Shoju wrote:
alayire wrote:I really doubt Alliance will ever get Ogres since they have been part of the old Horde and have close ties to the new Horde as well. that and they are a shamanistic race to begin with. but that won't happen anyway .. Blizzard has already stated ogres won't become a playable class.

On the same note, Satyrs joining the Alliance makes much more sense since their only tie to the Horde is quite slim at best (the legion corruption approach). breaking free of a curse and being forgiven by the NE seems more manageable.

also Centaurs don't need to ride a land mount, I mean look at worgens. However flying mounts lol. not going to happen.


Wait... You think the Night Elves forgiving the Satyr is more plausible than them joining the horde because the orcs understand the demonic corruption of the legion? Seriously? I admit I don't read nearly as much as others on the boards, but from the knowledge I do have, the Night Elves forgiving the Satyr is as likely to happen as a Garrosh and Varian becoming Ozzy and Hariet style Life Mates storyline.

Ogres would take more work to make "fit" as a player race, but you could use a "the Horde abandoned us here" type thing, and the Gnomes decide that they think they would be Epic Land mounts and become friends with them. Plus, The Ogres could get Mekkatorque out of Gnomer... [sarcasm]

I don't know if you have noticed, but.... There are a couple of shaman totin' races in the alliance now.

But yes, if Blizz said they wont, then they wont... for now. They are HUGE, and that does bring about all kinds of problems.

a) the satyrs had no connection to the horde whatsoever. no background(with them being Night Elves), no interaction even when the orcs were under the influence of the Burning Legion. while on the other hand they do have history with the Night Elves.
I'm saying that this "escape from the Legion grasp" is too far fetched to make an orc even blink. Not saying the Night Elves forgiving the Satyrs is likely, I'm saying that if they forgive them somehow .. like say being actively involved in their freedom/liberation, it's more likely they will join the Alliance then joining the Horde that they have no connection/contact with?
Of course .. on the other hand, if by chance an orc shaman or a tauren druid helps them liberate/free themselves that would be another story altogether. But as it stands now from my point of view it's more likely they would join the Alliance then the Horde.

b)the Ogres. you are stretching things with the Gnomes and such. and furthermore, while there are shamans amidst the Alliance, none of the Alliance races are shamanistic witch the ogre, orc and troll races most certainly are. that is a huge difference. let us not forget how the shamans were introduced to the Alliance in the first place.
alayire
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:43 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:05 am

The Dwarves are indeed a shamanistic race. You're thinknig of it in terms of the Draenei, who learned Shamanism from observing the pre-Legion Orcs on Draenor, but in current lore the Wildhammer Clan have a long independant heritage of Shamanism.

Regarding the Satyr, I think there are equally plausible stories could be made to link them to both sides. The Horde gaining control over more than half of Ashenvale and still being on the offensive puts the Satyr presence there at risk, and they now have Orc forces surrounding them and the Night Elves pushed further away. It's the perfect opportunity for them to reach out to the Horde - enemy of my enemy - and guarantee their own survival.

Just as an example.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4778
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Aerron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

At which point did the Satyr's split from the NEs? Before or after the High Elves? I've always been under the impression that it was around the same time as the Naga split/changed/whatever.

If the Satyrs split from the NE before the High Elf schism, then they'd have as much of a connection to the elves of Silvermoon as they would the NE.
Aerron
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Shoju » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 pm

alayire wrote:a) the satyrs had no connection to the horde whatsoever. no background(with them being Night Elves), no interaction even when the orcs were under the influence of the Burning Legion. while on the other hand they do have history with the Night Elves.
I'm saying that this "escape from the Legion grasp" is too far fetched to make an orc even blink. Not saying the Night Elves forgiving the Satyrs is likely, I'm saying that if they forgive them somehow .. like say being actively involved in their freedom/liberation, it's more likely they will join the Alliance then joining the Horde that they have no connection/contact with?
Of course .. on the other hand, if by chance an orc shaman or a tauren druid helps them liberate/free themselves that would be another story altogether. But as it stands now from my point of view it's more likely they would join the Alliance then the Horde.

b)the Ogres. you are stretching things with the Gnomes and such. and furthermore, while there are shamans amidst the Alliance, none of the Alliance races are shamanistic witch the ogre, orc and troll races most certainly are. that is a huge difference. let us not forget how the shamans were introduced to the Alliance in the first place.


A.) You're right. No connection, no shared experiences :roll: I forgot there are no orcs that ever were 'slaves' and manipulated at the hands of the burning legion.... That is completely far fetched...... :roll: while on the other hand, the race that they BETRAYED who has been HUNTING and EXTERMINATING them somehow finding a way to forgive them isn't far fetched at all.........

B.) Yes, the Gnomes thing was an OBVIOUS Stretch, meant for sarcasm.... I thought the part where I said the Gnomes thought they would be epic ground mounts gave it away....

and yes. The Dwarves (wildhammer in particular) are incredibly Shamanistic.



EDIT:
@Aerron.

I believe (and I'm a little fuzzy here) that the High Elves were still High Elves and not naga when it happened, as I thought that Xavius had ties to Azshara for some reason. Trusted advisor or something. I will have to check on that.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Aerron wrote:At which point did the Satyr's split from the NEs? Before or after the High Elves? I've always been under the impression that it was around the same time as the Naga split/changed/whatever.

If the Satyrs split from the NE before the High Elf schism, then they'd have as much of a connection to the elves of Silvermoon as they would the NE.


Satyrs were created by Sargeras from loyal NE mages during the War of the Ancients. The difference is that Satyrs were explicitly and instantaneously modified by magic whereas High Elves changed (evolved?) over thousands of years. It's not so much a "split" as it is an affliction (kind of like the Worgen curse, but on a much worse scale).
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6040
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Shoju wrote:I believe (and I'm a little fuzzy here) that the High Elves were still High Elves and not naga when it happened, as I thought that Xavius had ties to Azshara for some reason. Trusted advisor or something. I will have to check on that.

Xavius was indeed Queen Azshara's trusted advisor, yes.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6040
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Shoju » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:22 pm

HEY LOOK! SHOJU WAS RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby bldavis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Shoju wrote:HEY LOOK! SHOJU WAS RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING

it was a fluke....
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:30 am

bldavis wrote:
Shoju wrote:HEY LOOK! SHOJU WAS RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING

it was a fluke....

Keep spouting random stuff and you're bound to be right eventually... :D
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3514
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby alayire » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:18 am

Shoju wrote:A.) You're right. No connection, no shared experiences :roll: I forgot there are no orcs that ever were 'slaves' and manipulated at the hands of the burning legion.... That is completely far fetched...... :roll: while on the other hand, the race that they BETRAYED who has been HUNTING and EXTERMINATING them somehow finding a way to forgive them isn't far fetched at all.........

B.) Yes, the Gnomes thing was an OBVIOUS Stretch, meant for sarcasm.... I thought the part where I said the Gnomes thought they would be epic ground mounts gave it away....

and yes. The Dwarves (wildhammer in particular) are incredibly Shamanistic.
it seems that you and I have a different understanding of what connection means. the orcs had no interaction with the satyrs and I spelled it out specifically. one rarely allies with a race with whom it had no prior interaction.
You are assuming there will be interaction and as such there will be a connection.
On the other hand I merely pointed that interaction between the elves and satyrs existed and still exists. you cry out that it's hostile interaction, I'm pointing out that it merely exists.
for there to be any alliance with whomever the Satyrs, or at least part of them need to renounce their ways. If said event would implicate any of the 2 parties (Alliance, specifically NE or Horde) it can go both ways. I'm assuming it's more likely the NE then the Orcs because they have interest in the matter. The Horde atm have none. that is exactly my train of thought.

and yes the WildHammer clan lore seems to show they are shamanistic. the other 2 clans are most certainly not. It's a gray area granted.
but I'd like to point something out to you: the Taurens have tribes that are druidic like Mistrunner and Runetotem. they also have (I'd say that they have stretched this thin) tribes that have recently embraced the Light. yet the Taurens are a shamanistic race.
alayire
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:43 am

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Aerron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:04 am

alayire wrote:I'm assuming it's more likely the NE then the Orcs because they have interest in the matter. The Horde atm have none. that is exactly my train of thought.


Again, you're ignoring the fact that the Horde has as many Elves with as much of a connection to the Satyrs as the Alliance.
Aerron
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest