Remove Advertisements

Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:53 am

I'm sure Kael's speech is longer than Saurfang's, especially if you count all of "phase 1" as part of his bullshit speech :P

Shannox is only about a 5min fight on Heroic, so it's exempt from being considered overlong in my book. Illidari Council takes the cake for longest feeling boss, where on multiple occasions I recall staring at the Berserk timer rather than the health bars, hoping one of them would come up and not caring which...

Relwynd wrote:Definitely Chromagg for me. I was on dispel duty from full to dead, since I was one of the few that actually didn't suck in that guild. All I remember was watching debuffs on grid and hitting a mana pot every few minutes...

Chromaggus and Hakkar were the classic fights where I taped down a key repeater on decursive (rank 1 FoL for Hakkar) and got some sleep. Good times... sort of.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:44 am

Treck wrote:I really did like that fight, and yes the last part was the hardest part, but the fight wasnt that long was it?

Iron Council always took 10-15 minutes with my guild's dps, heh. I know we were getting 2 Heroisms in. Then again I don't think we did hard mode early on, so that may only have been normal (it was definately the first hard mode we did, though, and I think while Ulduar was current).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby culhag » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:49 am

Relwynd wrote:Definitely Chromagg for me. I was on dispel duty from full to dead, since I was one of the few that actually didn't suck in that guild. All I remember was watching debuffs on grid and hitting a mana pot every few minutes...

Not sucking at dispels is a sad thing to get noticed for.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:54 am

culhag wrote:

Not sucking at dispels is a sad thing to get noticed for.

Does make me sad to think of what the rest of the guild might be like. Then again, I don't have any raiding experience pre-BC (priest was 53 when BC came out) so maybe dispelling was harder than I'm imagining :roll:
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 am

Dispelling in Vanilla consisted in pressing 1 button. I was as well on dispell duty on Chromaggus, Lucifron and shit like that (was a Priest back then), so I remember it as an enjoyable thing as I could actually look what was going on around me rather than staring at 40 health bars.

You didn't even need to target, Decursive did that automatically. Actually thinking of it, I had an addon that did the same with heals, automatically targetting the lowest HP target, so I was always top on healing meters with the minimum effort possible.

So not sucking at dispelling meant the ability of putting some repeater on and go to sleep as Psiven said.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby culhag » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:26 am

It was different than now, but not really more difficult.
On some encounters the raid was flooded with debuffs and some people (usually paladins) were tasked with dispelling for the whole fight.
At the time, the add-on Decursive was literally a button you could mash to dispell people without any thought required. But if you wanted to do the job well, doing it "by hand" allowed to do some triage, which could sometime prove vital.
For example on Chromagus the people with multiple debuffs already were the highest priority to prevent them from transforming into drakonids.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:47 am

PsiVen wrote:I'm sure Kael's speech is longer than Saurfang's, especially if you count all of "phase 1" as part of his bullshit speech :P
Well, if you count phase 1 as the start of the fight instead I'm pretty sure the longest speech order would in fact be: Saurfang (Horde) > Kael'thas > Saurfang (Alliance). While it's nice the first time through as Horde that Saurfang Sr. gets some more interaction with his son... It gets annoying to have a cutscene of over one minute take place before every single pull.
Chicken

Postby Astronomic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:36 am

Well Heroic Rag looks pretty long, they nerfed the enrage timer from 15 to 18 mins so im guessing the fight is 15-18 mins long. The hardest part seems to come at the end. And in Paragon's message after the kill they say they did over 500 attempts on him D:
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby tinalt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:32 am

Chicken wrote:
PsiVen wrote:I'm sure Kael's speech is longer than Saurfang's, especially if you count all of "phase 1" as part of his bullshit speech :P
Well, if you count phase 1 as the start of the fight instead I'm pretty sure the longest speech order would in fact be: Saurfang (Horde) > Kael'thas > Saurfang (Alliance). While it's nice the first time through as Horde that Saurfang Sr. gets some more interaction with his son... It gets annoying to have a cutscene of over one minute take place before every single pull.

My boy died at the wrath gate...
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:35 am

HAHAHAHA DWARVES

(Okay, so I've never seen the Horde version.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:59 am

KysenMurrin wrote:(Okay, so I've never seen the Horde version.)

Basically it's Saurfang Senior telling all the story of his son blablabla zzzzzzzz
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:43 am

Saurfang's speech is about 1min 40 on horde side >.>

nowadays the speech is longer than the actual fight.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Shathus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:51 am

I remember when we had a new person in our group fighting LK, I would just explain the fight to them quickly during the Tirion speech. Saved time for all involved.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:20 am

Longest boss encounter in Cataclysm I've seen so far is either Nefarian or Cho'gall.

But only because of the raid leader's detailed explanations of what happens when, and what to do when.

My method is a 5 second, "do this, go here, kill that, win" method.

His is a long dissertation worthy of a PhD candidate.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:34 am

When did you start raiding in lurkers?
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General