[10] Shannox

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Shannox

Postby Raive » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:10 pm

I've never had an issue with rageface hitting a trap causing riplimb to get the wary buff (the one that stops them from triggering traps) however, quite often when riplimb is running back to me after returning the spear to the boss he'll step on one of the immolation traps that have inevitably been placed on melee. Generally the wary buff falls off before the next spear throw so its a non issue however.

I've found it helpful to tank him 15 to 25 yards (approximately of course) away from the crystal trap I plan to keep him in when the CD for the throw spear is about to come up (directly away from the boss in comparison to the trap), as soon as I see the circle I full on run to the location of the trap to get riplimb trapped, this causes him to not only be trapped but have to run a good 20 yards to the spear, then the additional distance to the boss.

With this I've never had much of a problem dropping stacks on either me or the main tank on shannox.
Raive

Postby Rokh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:19 am

So can the boss not build of stacks when he doesnt have his spear? or how does everyone get the stacks to fade off the MT?

Right now my guild is using 3 tanks, 2 on the boss, 1 just running rip around from trap to trap... But I wouldnt mind speeding up the fight if we can just 2 tank it.
Rokh

Postby Winkle » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 am

Rokh wrote:So can the boss not build of stacks when he doesnt have his spear? or how does everyone get the stacks to fade off the MT?

Right now my guild is using 3 tanks, 2 on the boss, 1 just running rip around from trap to trap... But I wouldnt mind speeding up the fight if we can just 2 tank it.

Shannox only applies the dot/bleed when he is holding the spear.

General tactic to remove bleed of both tanks is:

1) Shannox begins casting hurl spear
2) Riplimb tank traps riplimb in a crystal trap
3) Dot/bleed begins to fall off both tanks
4) Crystal trap break, Riplimb fetches spear, slow riplimb further with slows.
5) Riplimb returns spear but dot/bleed has reset.
Winkle

Postby Epimer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:52 am

Or tank Riplimb at or near to maximum range without incurring Separation Anxiety, and you can rely on slows alone to provide enough time to reset stacks on both. This method isn't reliant on finding the one Crystal Prison trap among a sea of Immolation traps.
Epimer

Postby Aerron » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:40 am

Winkle wrote:General tactic to remove bleed of both tanks is:

1) Shannox begins casting hurl spear
2) Riplimb tank traps riplimb in a crystal trap
3) Dot/bleed begins to fall off both tanks
4) Crystal trap break, Riplimb fetches spear, slow riplimb further with slows.
5) Riplimb returns spear but dot/bleed has reset.

I'd also recommend that the Shannox tank kite the boss out a little bit after the spear is thrown, to make Riplimb have to run farther. Kite him laterally, so that you avoid Separation Anxiety. Sometimes the dot falling off is a matter of 1-3 seconds, and kiting him a bit can help you get that.
Aerron

Postby Shathus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:29 am

Has it been determined what actually spawns him?

Was having a discussion about it and have heard everything from:
1) Just kill trash til he spawns
2) Kill ~1500 rep worth of trash
3) Kill 2 of every type of mob (this isn't true, or only counts certain types of mobs since we never killed any turtles)
4) Various other combinations of killing things.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 am

Shathus wrote:Has it been determined what actually spawns him?

3) Kill 2 of every type of mob (this isn't true, or only counts certain types of mobs since we never killed any turtles)

I'm thinking there are certain packs that are tied to his spawn (which ones exactly I'm not sure, perhaps it's random). Last night we cleared almost the whole circle around the road starting from the entrance -> Beth'tilac -> Baleroc and we were almost to Rhyolith before Shannox actually spawned. We skipped a lot of the unnecessary trash though so the fixed amount of rep might be possible too.
baleogthefierce

Postby Aerron » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:40 am

Shathus wrote:Has it been determined what actually spawns him?

You can pretty much rule out number 3. While my raid does kill turtles, we usually only kill one of the Pyrelord packs.

And I think #2 is suspect. But whatever the mechanic, it is not random. We've gotten to the point in our raid where we can confidently say "okay, he's going to spawn after this pull."
Aerron

Postby theckhd » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:51 pm

During our trash farming to honored on Tues/Wed of last week, we managed to spawn him with all sorts of combinations of trash, including ones where we skipped all turtle and pyrelord packs. So the turtles and pyrelords are completely irrelevant.

We found that he spawned pretty quickly when we killed the salamander packs up on the plateau (I'm sure you know what area I'm talking about, right before Alys and Ryolith). But iirc we were able to spawn him without setting foot on that plateau as well.

My best guess is that it's a simple point-based system. Something like "Scorpions/Surgers are worth 1 point, Giants/Core Hounds are worth 2, Salamanders are worth 3, etc. Boss spawns when 20 points worth of trash is cleared." My money would be on #2, with the point value being linked to the potential rep reward of each mob type.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby agetro » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:59 am

Yea did a few trash runs myself, and he spawned all times w/o having to get on that path with all the salamanders. Spiders, Dogs, Corehounds, Salamanders were all dead on that main front area. Turtles and Pyrelords were optional.
agetro

Postby kovaras » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:01 am

Sharing alternate strat, encounter analysis, and video for 10-man normal mode of this encounter --> http://raidbriefing.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... an-nm.html
kovaras

Postby Dragondin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:20 am

http://raidbriefing.blogspot.com/2011/07/shannox-10-man-nm.html wrote:6. Both dogs will get Frenzied Devotion buff IF they witness Shannox reach 30%. Since Rageface should already be dead, Riplimb tank need to make sure ONE of the following while Shannox is moving into 30%:
a) Riplimb is in a trap
b) Riplimb is not looking at Shannox's direction.

Is this really right? Would riplimb not get the frenzied devotion buff if he is trapped?
Dragondin

Postby kovaras » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:18 am

Frankly, i'm not 100% certain yet as to what will not trigger the Frenzied Devotion on Riplimb yet.

Getting him in a trap and not looking at Shannox seems to make most sense with the "Witness" part from the tooltips.

However after a closer look, there's a high chance that it's "Dogged Determination" buff on Riplimb that's actually preventing the Frenzied Devotion to trigger.
kovaras

Postby Dane » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:14 am

Ok, didn't see this already posted...but it's late, and I'm sleepy, so I just skimmed.

We JUST had our progression kill tonight. People've been fuckin' slackers making it to raids lately, and we were having NO luck (or skill) with traps. Here's what we did instead, and it worked perfectly.

1) Tank Rip and Shannon (guild pet name for him...makes him less scary, right? :D ) as far apart as you can without Separation Anxiety.
2) Wait for the spear throw circle to appear.
3) Start kiting Rip to Shan.
4) Riplimb then has to run back to the spear, THEN to the boss.

It was simple, locations of traps didn't matter, and it didn't once fail.

I haven't looked into heroic, so maybe this is a bad habit to get into, but if anyone is having any problems, this is a very easy way to reliably drop your stacks.
Dane

Postby agetro » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:51 am

Yup we did this, and the OT on Rip was doing a great job of kiting Rip into a frost trap to give more time. Also if you do it right, the MT can kite Shannox fast enough to prevent Rip from returning the Spear immediately.
agetro

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)