Computer building help (renamed)

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Computer building help (renamed)

Postby Nothan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Typically for video cards I like to go with XFX or EVGA because of XFX's warranty and EVGA's step-up program/warranty. The most important thing to me when buying video cards is warranty. I like XFX's double lifetime warranty since that pretty much lets you sell the card if you wanted to and the new owner would still be under warranty. But, personally speaking, by the time I need to utilize the warranty, I'd rather buy a new and better video card :P

Also, if anything, you don't want to skimp on a power supply. Get a good quality one. I remember years back, I had a no-name power supply and one day it literally started exhausting smoke from the rear. Another friend had a no-name power supply as well and his had a loud pop with a blue spark and likely caught fire.

Corsair TX/HX series are good if you don't need the AX series. The TX and HX series are the same thing except the TX series is non-modular, so you'd be stuck with a bunch of excess wires/connectors if you don't use them, but it is the cheapest. I used to use Antec ones, but they had this strange coil whine, or something that sounded like coil whine from 3 different ones. I stopped buying them after that and went with an Enermax which worked great, then switched to a Corsair on my current system.

I think most people nowadays would get a SSD for OS/most played games and something like a 1TB drive for storage. I heard good things about OCZ Vertex drives. I currently have a Raptor 300GB for my main drive and a 1TB WD Black for my storage/other games. I actually have 2 Intel X-25M SSDs I got for cheap, but I've been too lazy to put them in. One of them is going in my laptop though. I'm probably going to give my current desktop to my brother and build myself a completely new system soon, so no hurry to put in my SSDs yet.

You don't need a sound card unless you are an audiophile and have a bad ass sound system to utilize it. On board sound would suit you fine.

Pick a decent sized case with good ventilation. I'd recommend a Coolermaster HAF922. It's not too big and has excellent air flow.

Finally, if you are going to overclock, pick up a good aftermarket cooler. If I were to overclock I'd probably get a Noctua NH-D14 or a Prolimatech Megahalems. Probably the Megahalems because the NH-D14 may have RAM clearance issues if you have heatsinks on your RAM sticks (Corsair Dominators have these and you'd have to remove them to get the NH-D14 to fit).
Nothan

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:17 am

I don't mind the wall of text, cause it preempts some of my questions :D. I'll do some searching for 7200 rpm HDD, I didn't know what coolspin meant, and it just was a big HDD to me, but now I have some focus :).

As far as the PSU, do most come with the switch for 110/220 volt, or is that something I'll have to look for specifically (bouncing between countries with the military, it's definitely something I'll want available.)

I'll see what I can come up with based on what you've said above, and we'll go from there, I'm sure there will be other questions, but thanks for all the help so far!
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:01 am

HDD possibilities (from cheapest to most expensive):

No. 1
No. 2
No. 3
No. 4

Also... am I correct on what these slots (red boxes) are? And what are the other slots (yellow/blue boxes)?
Attachments
MoBo connections.png
MoBo connections.png (234.94 KiB) Viewed 910 times
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:38 am

It looks like those red & yellow marked boxes are PCI and PCI-E slots.

Your motherboard's manual should have an annotated diagram of the board, telling you exactly what goes where and how to connect everything up.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:56 am

Could someone give me input on the mobos I have listed? I'm leaning towards the Z68 just because it's cheaper, but I honestly don't know if it would be worth spending the extra $30-50 for one of the P67s.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:54 am

Mkay, other than the MoBo, I think I've got everything pretty much narrowed down, so once I make a final decision on the MoBo, and (hopefully) get someone knowledgeable in this area to give it a quick once-over and see if there are any compatability issues, then I can start ordering stuff!
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Talaii » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:35 am

Looks like:

Of the Asus boards, the P8P67 Pro is better than the Sabertooth (more power phases, looks identical otherwise), so I wouldn't waste $20 on a layer of black stuff covering the motherboard.

Asus have a much better UEFI (BIOS) than the gigabyte boards, and also let you control the fans from the BIOS (the gigabyte boards let you control fan speeds from a windows utility, but you need to have that software running).

Either way, if you're not planning on pushing for a massive overclock, and you're not planning on running Crossfire (two graphics cards), then you don't need such an expensive board. The Asus P8P67 LE is only $130 (rather than $180), and frankly, you probably won't notice the difference. It won't let you add a second graphics card later; and it has a few less Sata 6G/s ports (I doubt you'll use four, let alone six); but those seem to be the only drawbacks.
Talaii

Previous

Return to Tech Stuff