Remove Advertisements

Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:58 pm

I had a 28 minute Heigen 10 dance once.
All bar 1 of the retarded dps dropped dead on the first fast phase, as did 1 of the 2 healers.

So from about 80% to 50% it was me tanking with 1 healer and 1 dps.
Course somewhere around 50% to 40% the sole dps has to have a brain freeze and die.

Yay for 2 manning it the rest of the way.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Amirya » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 pm

I had a 40 minute Heigan 10 dance once.

Warrior tank, shadow priest, my druid healer. Kept asking the priest to dispel the diseases. So she kept dispelling them off of herself. The tank? Nah. The healer? No. Just herself.

We wound up wiping when he was at 7% because the tank moved *just* out of range, and I finally went oom trying to heal her and me through the disease the shadow priest wouldn't dispel.

She didn't make that mistake the second time we danced.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 am

Nothan wrote:1. Kael'Thas was by far the longest fight I've ever done. I remember it took nearly half an hour and we actually wiped one night at 4% because the tanks shield despawned, followed by everyone else's weapons shortly there after.

Oh we had that too on one of our learning nights.

But i believe the weapons duration was 15 minutes, not 30. Can't possibly imagine Kael lasting 30 mins as we only used Bloodlust twice on it. (with the second coming off CD at 15% or so)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 am

The weapons despawn after 15 minutes.

P1 was about 5 min before the nerf, 2 after the nerf. Not timed.
P2 was 2 minutes, timed. About 30 seconds overflow to P3, when the weapon bodies despawned.
P3 was 3 minutes, timed. Capernian usually was close to full and the engineer and the fear dude were about to die when P4 activated.
P4 and P5 were both about 3-4 minutes iirc. I think we got 3 or 4 eggs in P4 and 3 or 4 gravity reversals in P5.

Epic Heigan dances were always good for a laugh, we would get disco music played in teamspeak :)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Calleana » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 am

We used to listen to the Mortal combat soundtrack during Heigan, made the fight a bit more bearable.

I think the longest fights I recall were Vashji & Kael.

Shannox is pretty long, particularly to get right the way to P2 and then have you MT stand in a inferno trap and go splat :(
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:38 am

I think our first Nefarian kill (in vanilla) lasted well over 30mn.
Well, I don't know the exact time, but one guy who died at the transition to P2 went afk, and when he came back we were finishing Nef and he told us he had been away for 30mn...
Our comp was very healer heavy.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Astronomic » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:43 am

For those who reference a boss time with how often they used blood/hero, wasnt it a 10 min CD with a 5 minute sated back then, which ment with multiple shaman you could do it every 5 minutes?

Also had that PvP style fight in ToC go for 15mins once... L2interupt homies
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Chicken » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 am

Astronomic wrote:For those who reference a boss time with how often they used blood/hero, wasnt it a 10 min CD with a 5 minute sated back then, which ment with multiple shaman you could do it every 5 minutes?
In TBC there was no sated, bloodlust was only used on the current 5-man group the shaman was in though. Leading to the "fun" of rotating the shamans through the highest DPS (usually melee) group to further boost them. You did accurately describe the behavior in pre-Ulduar WotLK though, but all encounters from WotLK we've seen posted here were released after that change... Which is understandable since the 3.0 Naxx and the other two encounters available at the time all weren't all that long.
Chicken

Postby culhag » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 am

Astronomic wrote:For those who reference a boss time with how often they used blood/hero, wasnt it a 10 min CD with a 5 minute sated back then, which ment with multiple shaman you could do it every 5 minutes?

That was the case in early WotLK.
I think in BC it was just 10mn CD with no debuff afterwards, which is why you could stack shamans and rotate them in a group of dps to keep them buffed the longest you could.

[E] got beat by Chicken. :(
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Astronomic » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:07 am

My memmory's almost as fuzzy as my bear.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby fafhrd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Treck wrote:What makes a long encounter feel even a lot longer is how the learningcurve of the different phases go.
Illidan was all about p2 control.
Sure there was parasites and some other stuff to deal with, but if you made it through the fire adds, the fight just got easier and easier.

Kael was the same, even if the fight was very long, it wasnt the end of the fight that was the hardest part.
Meaning that once you got past it, you were pretty close to killing it anyway.

Long encounters are pretty enjoyable imo as long as you dont wipe there a few times.
Oneshotting 15min encounters is a lot more fun that oneshotting 3-4 min fights.

Fights that are +15min long, and every phase is harder than the last, is just frustrating, working 15min to reach the next phase where you have to start progressing isnt very good design imo :P (or atleast not that enjoyable imo :P)

Worst for this was heroic Iron Council (or whatever their actual name was) in Ulduar. 4-5 minutes of everyone playing perfectly, bosses low... then suddenly a tank would fall over dead, boss would heal and it's a wipe. Repeat all night.

FL normal doesn't seem to have any such fight thankfully - Rag is long, but very varied and doesn't have the difficulty concentrated late in the fight, and doesn't have any instant raid wipes. Heroic Ryolith and Beth seem to have hard parts at the end with 1-2 deaths probably meaning a wipe anyway, but they're short fights. Cho'gall heroic might have been annoying on 25 I guess? On 10H the last phase wasn't that hard so didn't get annoying, same for Ascendant Council 10H vs 25H.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Treck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:02 pm

fafhrd wrote:Worst for this was heroic Iron Council (or whatever their actual name was) in Ulduar. 4-5 minutes of everyone playing perfectly, bosses low... then suddenly a tank would fall over dead, boss would heal and it's a wipe. Repeat all night.

I really did like that fight, and yes the last part was the hardest part, but the fight wasnt that long was it?
Its fun when a fight gets harder and harder, but it depends a lot on how long the fight is overall aswell.

fafhrd wrote:FL normal doesn't seem to have any such fight thankfully - Rag is long, but very varied and doesn't have the difficulty concentrated late in the fight, and doesn't have any instant raid wipes. Heroic Ryolith and Beth seem to have hard parts at the end with 1-2 deaths probably meaning a wipe anyway, but they're short fights. Cho'gall heroic might have been annoying on 25 I guess? On 10H the last phase wasn't that hard so didn't get annoying, same for Ascendant Council 10H vs 25H.

Rag is long, and normal is a nice fight.
Heroic is a whole other story.

Ryolith and Beth step up a big when you reach the later phases, and is frustrating but it does make it all the more epic when you get it down (ryolith is a bit fucked up tho).
Chogall on 25man hc was a nice fight really, even tho the last phase wasnt to hard.
Once you reached the last phase (it wasnt that easy reaching it) so it was nice that the fight was easier at that point, but you still had to focus a lot for the rest of the fight, reminded me a lot of lich king, p3 a lot easier than p2, but you still need to keep up the rest of the fight.
Council was annoying, as p2 wasnt hard, but frustrating, then p3 was hard.
Treck

Postby fafhrd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Treck wrote:
fafhrd wrote:Worst for this was heroic Iron Council (or whatever their actual name was) in Ulduar. 4-5 minutes of everyone playing perfectly, bosses low... then suddenly a tank would fall over dead, boss would heal and it's a wipe. Repeat all night.

I really did like that fight, and yes the last part was the hardest part, but the fight wasnt that long was it?

I just remember it feeling like forever, because until the point the tank died it was mostly just standing in 1 or 2 positions while trying to fill every GCD just right... all night. But none of it mattered since the tank dying was completely unrelated.

I suppose Heroic Anub was another fight with a bunch of phases to learn and a hard one at the end that tended to suddenly turn into a wipe. I got to do fun stuff like MDing multiple adds and killing orbs so never got bored, but I imagine if I were just dpsing it would have felt like Iron Council again.

Speaking of TOC, Heroic Faction Champs was probably the longest fight I can think of. We'd often spend 20 minutes killing them, I'm sure we probably broke 25 sometimes. Could definitely do it faster if you did it better but... we didn't.

After that I think Illidan or the old Rag, or stuff like graveyard zerged Azuregos.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Are you counting the dialog time on Illidan or just the actual fight?

Speaking of dialogs, I wonder which has the longest time from start to first engagement. Saurfang perhaps?
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Relwynd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Definitely Chromagg for me. I was on dispel duty from full to dead, since I was one of the few that actually didn't suck in that guild. All I remember was watching debuffs on grid and hitting a mana pot every few minutes...
Relwynd

PreviousNext

Return to General