Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Postby Invisusira » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Trying to remember what some of the longer (30-60 min) boss fights were in WoW, at level of course. 4 horsemen (L60), chromagg, twin emps, and LK all come to mind. Anyone got some times?
Invisusira

Re: Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Postby tullock » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13 am

You forgot to mention heigan25, Oh God the pain.
tullock
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:18 am

Azuregos, especially if done with a disorganized PUG raid.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby RedAces » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:31 am

LK: ~15mins
Chromaggus: I think I had a 20 min kill? -.-
Twink Emperors: My firstkill was 10secs after enrage... so 15mins 10sec.
not level appropriate: Viscidus at level 80 with a full group. But only 1 Frostmage... by the time he shattered the first time, he didn't go vulnerable (not enough melee hits?!) because everyone was asleep. At the 2nd shatter we managed to get him split up, but couldn't finish him (he was at 1 hp). So third time's the charm... It took ages!
RedAces

Postby Treck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:35 am

Rag?
Treck

Postby Chicken » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:23 am

Treck wrote:Rag?
I was going to respond on the usual tactics saying it was pretty much a wipe if he submerged a second time, but then I remembered the new Rag being a pretty long encounter.

E: Illidan was pretty long as well originally. I can't remember the exact time, but I do remember Blizzard accidentally setting his enrage timer to 15 minutes with one patch and that causing issues for people who'd newly reached him around that time.
Last edited by Chicken on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:24 am

Kael'thas25?

5 phases, each 2-3 minutes long.

Morogrim tidewalker was a good 10 minutes (but it felt like 20 because it was sooo boring)

CAn we count the trash waves in MH as part of the boss encounter, as you had to repeat them if you wiped at the boss? The bosses were arguably fairly simple (possibly to offset this?). Would make Azgalor probably one of the longest fights ever (8 trash waves @ 2-3 minutes each + 5-6 minutes of boss fight = over 20 minutes).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:43 am

I clearly remember using Bloodlust twice on Illidan, I think the first kill took 17-18 mins if not more.

Long but awesome fight, still my favourite of the whole game so far.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:51 am

:(

honestly the only one i can think of is LK, and i got my KS when he was 83....still took like 10 min though

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Treck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:24 am

Chicken wrote:I was going to respond on the usual tactics saying it was pretty much a wipe if he submerged a second time, but then I remembered the new Rag being a pretty long encounter.

Enrage 18min :S

Alyzrazor is also a pretty long encounter, and its very annoying that you have to do it fine 3 times in a row, and people tent to start failing after doing it perfectly 2 times :P
I think it doesnt have an enrage, but she doesnt lift off after the 3rd time she lands.
Treck

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:01 pm

4H was a 15m or 20m berserk wasn't it? I can't think of any boss fights that were genuinely 30 minutes long, even if classic Nef attempts felt like it.

Chromaggus was hideously long, but I don't think it was longer than 15min and probably had a berserk. Original Hakkar was stupidly long as well; that might have been one fight without a timer.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:15 pm

The longest I've ever done is a 45 minute Heigan fight on 25 man. But that's not encounter design... that's just retards in a raid who don't know how to dance.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Original Hakkar was stupidly long as well; that might have been one fight without a timer

Hakkar went berserk after 10 minutes. Our first kill was about 5 seconds into berserk with a single mage standing.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:55 pm

It looks like Hakkar did not have a berserk until patch 1.9.3 which is when he was changed significantly to be a shorter fight where the DPS actually had a purpose. Before then, you had nothing to do but heal piddly tank damage, pull serpents once in a while, and watch the boss kill himself with corrupted blood.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 am

I'm glad WoW never took this approach...

Btw, not sure if that's a fully working link as it's blocked at work, and I had to edit the google search link. Let me know and I'll try to fix it :D.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General