[10HM] Lord Ryolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10HM] Lord Ryolith

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Is there some trick to dpsing his legs quickly or something? Even with 3 dps assigned to legs full time, we seem woefully behind on dpsing them. We have no problems with turning the boss and taking out volcanoes, that's fine. We're not letting that many Liquid Obsidians through to increase his armor stacks, although we could certainly do better on that front. But we're still only getting the legs to about 65-70% by about 5 minutes into the fight, whereas the guilds that are killing this have pushed them to 25%, entered P2 and killed the boss by then. Our DPS generally aren't as good as say Spike Flail's, but we're in the same ballpark on most fights, but on this one we're ridiculously behind.

We're fairly efficient at steering into volcanoes so the armor stacks are going down fairly well, so dps should be no more disadvantaged than other guild's. Yet we're still about 40% behind on damage.
Last edited by fafhrd on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Re: [10HM] Lord Ryolith

Postby BennyHill » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 pm

We had two dedicated dps for adds. One for the smaller ones, and one for the sparks. Everyone else should be on the feet the entire time. Sometimes I had to call out for another dps to nuke them down before the smaller adds started charging people. Don't forget to make sure everyone is topped off before you push P2.
BennyHill

Postby BennyHill » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:53 am

So I totally underestimated this boss. After working on him for a night and thinking we were close to a kill, I feel like our raid is almost undergeared. These changes just make him spin widly at best. Have you had any luck? Two healing P1 seems to help with leg dps, but we barely survive into P2. Our best attempt has gotten him to 6%.
BennyHill

Postby Sundance » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:48 am

@fafhrd: Haven't attempted HC yet. But will tommorow. What we did on normal to speed everything up was to have 3 melee(2+tankOS) on the legs steering them. In the event that the 2 ranged kill all adds they took 1 leg each to speed up the DPS but not fuck up the steering. We also 3 healed it on normal but are probably gonna go with 2 healers on hc giving us shorter phases.

If anyone that have killed it got any input, tricks or tips that'd be splendid.
Heímdall of <Helios> @ Argent Dawn - EU
Sundance

Postby Técaro » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:12 am

We went from 3 to 2healing it, with 2 dedicated leg dps and a ranged who only switches to sparks. We can manage to get to p2 around 5mins, give or take a few seconds but we seem to struggle mightily with consistent and proper volcanokilling. As well as some people religiously getting hit by the streams. Our DPS complain about how wacked out the actual steering is, but I honestly can't comment on that as I'm tied up with fragments and sparks 95% of the time. We're going to try to have the ranged steer instead of the melee next time, but if anyone has tips and tricks I'd appreciate it greatly.
The only way we push P2 is popping hero when the 4th spark spawns and everyone nuking the legs btw, that might help you out a chunk. You shouldn't actually need hero if you get into P2 without Superheated and with 2-3 raidcds.
Técaro

Postby fafhrd » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:56 am

We haven't been back yet, won't till Sunday so I've mostly been gathering info. We're going to try getting more aoe/dots to hit the legs.

I was steering it the other day on my hunter with 2 melee, and steering honestly didn't seem difficult at all. This was the day of the hotfix, I'm not sure if the changes were active or not when we were raiding in the evening - Obsidian Armor stacks were going down nicely, the problem was that health was not. I was also ignoring Molten Armor stacks which was probably making healing harder, we'll need to pay more attention to that. Focus will be on blowing whatever we have to get into P2 before superheated starts stacking.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Kishandra » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Our composition and assignments for 25m kill (which you can probably divide by 2.5 for 10):

2 tanks, one on sparks and one on fragments
6 healers
11 ranged dps
6 melee dps

Our strategy ignored the liquid obsidians. Sure, some of them went through and increased armor stacks but if you concentrate and kill them, you have almost as much of a chance as letting them through anyway with dps wasted. We try to bring fragments to clumps of obsidians when the call to aoe goes out and most of them die that way, or are just kited indefinitely since rhyolith is faster than the obsidians (especially if you put down frost traps + earthbinds).

The melee dps were hitting the legs nonstop, with some cleaves if fragments are very close, while ranged would multidot legs when possible. After the 3rd spark is dead, boss is around 50-60% hp with a low number of armor stacks (maybe 20-30). We pop hero and burn him, ignoring everything but the next wave of fragments. It quickly gets him to 25% which gets him to despawn all adds. After that it's a simple burn with rotating raid cds for 20-30 seconds while he dies.

1-2 raid cds on first stomp after transition, bh trinkets on second stomp, and everything else you got for the third. Generally even if third stomp takes out 90% of the raid dots will push him over.
Kishandra

Postby MomysLidlMonsta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:56 am

We had 1 tank, 2 healers, 7dps there. 4 of the dps were constantly on the legs, 1 dps killed the fragments almost by alone (we had a demo lock, but dks work just as well, if not better, because they take less damage). 1dps for the sparks and 2 more switched to the sparks when he didn't have any cds ready. We managed to kill him in under 5 minutes both times.
If you want to 3 heal I'd cut aways some dps from the sparks, because you can afford to let it stack higher for more dps.
MomysLidlMonsta

Postby Venox » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:28 am

Hi Guys,
how do you handle the Fragment Tanking in the 25man version?I tried it at our 25man raid on thursday, but i am not sure about the position of tanking them. First I tried to collect them and tank them at the boss while DPS can start DPS when Spawns so we loose no time, have AoE near the legs for extra DPS. Later I tried to tank them in a static position (like the middle) sothat I do not have to pull them right after boss and AoE can be more effective while standing on one position. How did other in here handle the tanking? Is a DK Tank with a death&Decay which can be positioned anywhere better ? I even have a AoE-Prot specc with aoe glyphs. Thanks in advance!
Venox

Postby Kerriodos » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:20 am

Venox wrote:Hi Guys,
how do you handle the Fragment Tanking in the 25man version?I tried it at our 25man raid on thursday, but i am not sure about the position of tanking them. First I tried to collect them and tank them at the boss while DPS can start DPS when Spawns so we loose no time, have AoE near the legs for extra DPS. Later I tried to tank them in a static position (like the middle) sothat I do not have to pull them right after boss and AoE can be more effective while standing on one position. How did other in here handle the tanking? Is a DK Tank with a death&Decay which can be positioned anywhere better ? I even have a AoE-Prot specc with aoe glyphs. Thanks in advance!

This question is probably more appropriately placed in the 25 man thread: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=31875. Nonetheless, here's my answer: We tanked the fragments on the ooze pack (oozes were slowed and essentially being kited by the boss), allowing them to be AoE'd down at the same time.

Regarding the tanking setup, we run the same tank composition--Pally/DK that is. For learning attempts we had me, the paladin, tanking fragments with the DK on sparks. After a few spark tank death we switched and everything seemed to be much smoother. DnD burst threat is very high, and much easier to position than paladin AoE. Additionally, Death Grip makes getting a straggler back into the pack much faster, since chances are they're all snared. On top of that, the paladin's damage intake on the spark will be more linear and a distracted healer is less likely to cause a death.
Kerriodos

Postby RedAces » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:28 am

We had 2 heals and 1 tank. I tanked the sparks outside of the group and the first pack of fragments after a spark (where the spark isn't killed yet) were tanked by the demo lock / the frost dk. We always aoe'd them down in the middle of 2+ oozes and we had me and a retri stunning the oozes per Holy Wrath glyph. If there were 3 oozes in a tight spot the demo did a few hellfires.

After the third spark is killed all dps except 1 shadow switched to the boss (shadow bombing the last set of fragments) and burning him to P2.
We killed him with only the 2 shadows alive in dispersion... ^^ what a messy-kill.
RedAces

Postby Técaro » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:06 pm

We did pretty much the same thing as RedAces, just with a hero as the fourth spark spawns and everyone nuking. Went with a Rallying Cry+Tranq on the first stomp, divine sac on the second, he was dead just after the third with 6 people up. We had our enhancement shaman do the steering, warrior on legs full time, dk on fragments+legs and ret pala on legs/ fragments when a spark was up. Two healers, two ranged. If you can do the driving properly it shouldn't be a huge problem really.
On an additional note, not sure if it's intended that way but Deep Wounds does full damage, disregarding the armor. Helps a bit for leg dps.
Técaro

Postby VikrumthePally » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 am

So after trying this boss for a few hours I can safely say he's pretty rough. I am curious how:

A.) You guys who are using DPS to tank the Frags -- How did that go? I am assuming they probably got roughed up pretty hard?
B.) When those that are making the final push around the 4th spark/BL, what is his damage reducing stack usually sitting around? Stack count or % reduced.
VikrumthePally

Postby RedAces » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:41 pm

VikrumthePally wrote:So after trying this boss for a few hours I can safely say he's pretty rough. I am curious how:

Yes its a hard dps check (like 1/2 of the fights in FL) and a hard awareness check (don't get hit by 1231312 Magma line curling around you and still do enough damage!).

VikrumthePally wrote:A.) You guys who are using DPS to tank the Frags -- How did that go? I am assuming they probably got roughed up pretty hard?

The only group that they had to tank for a few seconds are the fragments after the spark, b/c the spark lived too long. A plate-wearer or a demolock (in meta) can tank them with relative ease.

VikrumthePally wrote:B.) When those that are making the final push around the 4th spark/BL, what is his damage reducing stack usually sitting around? Stack count or % reduced.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/dftf ... 49&e=10773 was our (first) kill. He had 16 stacks by the time the 3rd spark died and we lusted.
RedAces

Postby cncaudata » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:18 am

What are you doing to obsidium fragments to stop them from adding to his armor? I am pretty sure this is killing our dps - you had 17 hit the boss on your kill, our best attempts have around 40. This means we don't push him fast enough and superheated kills us (when we can get there... we are also having problems getting the right comp on add-killing/tanking).

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2c4i8p2y5450gf0z/sum/healingDone/?s=3229&e=3554

Edit: It looks like you answered that in a previous post, Holy Wrath and aoe on them... I'd still love input.
cncaudata

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)