[10] baleroc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] baleroc

Postby MomysLidlMonsta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:05 am

I just wanted to note, that he isn't affected by the DW miss penalty :(
MomysLidlMonsta

Postby BF-Alamexia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:34 am

Long time reader, new poster. (Well I might've posted on an older account once, I don't remember.)

Anyways, I'd like to point out from experience something super lame that happened to me when my guild was working on it. Someone asked about it earlier as well and I don't think anybody clarified. TL:DR at the end:

We did the 2 tank strategy as our DPS is pretty solid. My off-tank who would just soak the Decimation Strikes has been a Death Knight, so most of the time it seems he parries the attacks that come his way. I wasn't paying attention one time. I wasn't topped off health-wise and and I had 3 Holy Power and Sacred Duty going and I hit SoTR while my off-tank was supposed to be tanking and ended up pulling hate. My off-tank didn't taunt immediately back. But it was okay, I thought, all I had to do was Divine Shield, right? He would drop target and just hit my off-tank instead... Nope. He killed me through Bubble. I guess it makes sense with the mechanics of the fight. Still, it's a bit counter-intuitive.

TL,DR: Decimating Strike deals damage through Divine Shield.

[22:11:08.457] Alamexia casts Divine Shield
[22:11:09.841] Alamexia's Divine Shield fades from Alamexia
[22:11:10.241] Baleroc Decimating Strike Alamexia 613017 (O: 86149)
[22:11:10.258] Alamexia dies

Since I'm talking about Baelroc here, I figure Flask of Steelskin isn't very great. If you are Main Tanking that extra 450 stamina just doesn't seem that great when you are near a million health. I try to use elixirs on this fight instead (and STR flask if tanking Decimating Strike would be best, obviously.)
BF-Alamexia

Postby Rokh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:47 am

I dont want to clump up the forums with a new thread, but this is pretty slick.

I havent seen heroic for this guy, so i dont know if this works, but me and my other tank tried something last night and it totaly trivialised Decimating strike.

Just trade off the strikes.

Off tank takes the 1st one, main tank takes the 2nd one (even if the off tank dodges you want the MT to take the 2nd one) then the off tank takes the 3rd.

it was sooooo easy for even 1 healer to heal a strike to full hp with like 8 seconds to do it.. made the encounter a joke.
Rokh

Postby Calleana » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks for the idea Rokh, we shall we be trying this on Thursday. Just a quick question what did you do about the first decimation? We often found this happened just after the normal decimation tank got his third stack, so the other tank wouldn't be ready to take any hits unless I'm missing something?
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Ghastard » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:37 am

We basically use the same strat that was mentioned earlier. 2 tanks, first OT starts on boss, gets a few stacks, then MT takes over. OT takes decimation blade if possible. The tanking part is very easy.

Healing / dps need to shine for this fight. Our rotation goes a lil something like this:
-We have 5 dps for this fight, 3 heals
-1 healer goes first, and heals all 5 dps as they rotate thru shard soaking
-That healer then calls out in vent when they on the 5th dps, so the next heals knows to come in after
-Once a healer has healed the 5 dps in that rotation, they are now on tank healing duty
-1st healer is back on dps/shard soaking healing duty once the 3rd healer is done, and it rotates

First night we tried it, it took a few attempts obviously; however, once the dps have their rotation down so the healers know who will be soaking the shard....he becomes easy on normal mode.
Ghastard

Postby Rokh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 am

@ Calleana

On the pull our off tank only does 2 stacks, that brings him to like 265k

Then I taunt and will have 2 stacks before the 1st "blade" attack is chosen.

Never really thought about a tank not having hp for the first hit, both myself and my off tank are fans of stam stacking (we both use mastery elixirs and resistance elixirs and run around 205k raidbuffed with about 90% CTC) but I guess if you need to you can always use AD for a strike if your not above the 250k mark.
Rokh

Postby Calleana » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks for the advice Rokh, Ardent defender is a good idea, my Druid co tank is slightly under geared which I believe is why were going for 3 but I'll see if we can scrape a by at 2. Druid has so far ended up with a good run of Dodges with the decimating strikes, however your strategy seems more consistent.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Ocin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Was working on this tonight for the first time and it seems like it would be easier to solo tank this fight. The only times we had tank deaths were after we lost a DPS to the Torment debuff stacking too high and then things started to unravel and bodies piled up.

My question is, would a DK be a better solo tank on this fight? I have a really good blood DK in guild, but his schedule is going to be rocky for a bit, so I don't want to force this on him just yet unless it makes the fight much easier.

If it's me solo tanking this fight I need to know how you all are gearing. Are you stacking avoidance or sticking with mastery?

Edit: We have no SPs
Ocin

Postby Kishandra » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Baleroc has 3 modes of attacking: normal attacks (2/3 of the time), inferno blade (1/6 of the time), and decimation blade (1/6) of the time. By far the most dangerous of the three is decimation blade, it will account for more than half of tank deaths even though it's up a small amount of time. Normal attacks will account for the other half.

Paladin tanks with block cap are far and away better on the normal melee damage portion than the DK. Paladins also rock the decimation blade portion of the attack because of the ridiculously overpowered ardent defender ability. Dks are sort of better as a dedicated decimation soaker tank because they can build up a huge blood shield between blades and basically absorb the entire first deci blade hit. Not sure how dks compare to pallies on inferno blade but it's not enough of a danger to be relevant.

Firelands is the paladin OP tier. Except possibly riplimb kiting on shannox.
Kishandra

Postby Ezelyn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:42 am

Kishandra wrote:Not sure how dks compare to pallies on inferno blade but it's not enough of a danger to be relevant.

Not very fair comparaison. You talk about normal strikes (which can't be a danger) but you don't argue on inferno blades because "it's not enough of a danger to be relevant".
If the point of view is to speak about danger in this fight, DK > Paladin, they rule the decimation blade with selfheal + shield + better avoidance (dancing blade)

Firelands is the paladin OP tier.

Really ? i prefer DK on domo (OP deathstrike mechanic on scorpion phase), shannox (soak immo traps without taking the dot), Baleroc (see top) and for alizrazor since the hotfix on deathstrike (they rule the dps)

We could argue a lot on that. But for me, the OP tankadin tiers was before the WoG CD.
Ezelyn

Postby frontallobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 am

Revised Healer Strat helped us get him on farm
=====================================================
Have someone with nice defensive cooldowns take the entire (30s?) first crystal. Do this by using healer CDs, (I sanc-ed him), etc. This gives the healers an insane amount of stacks to start the encounter with. Our disc priest nailed him at about 26 stacks with penance and hit 75 healing buff stacks out the gate. It really make this encounter pretty easy. (1 tanking btw)
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Ocin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Are there any prot pallys solo tanking this fight? I posted a few hours back, but I haven't heard anything that I haven't heard on the official forums as far as advice.
Ocin

Postby frontallobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:45 pm

I am solo tanking this fight, yes. (prot pally - 372 ilvl equippd - i still like mirror for inferno blade tbh)
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Novariety » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 pm

Ocin wrote:Are there any prot pallys solo tanking this fight? I posted a few hours back, but I haven't heard anything that I haven't heard on the official forums as far as advice.

I am solo tanking him, the gear I am wearing now is what I wore on last weeks kill minus the Mirrored Boots I would have been wearing the Gryphon Boots at that stage. WTB a new set of shoulders please.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... e/advanced

Not sure about advise but if it looks like the healers arent going to get me up before the next decimation blade, I get one of the dps warriors (on this fight we have 2 as our other tank respecs) to taunt as long as he isn't taking one of the crystals.
Novariety

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 pm

The only thing I need to know is how long the crystal stays up each time. It would be invaluable to know because basically we dont want to send a 3rd person in there for 2 stacks of the crystal. Plus it will help my shadow priest solo the first one.

We are going to be one tanking, 2 healing this week just for practice doing it how we will do it the HM way. Also I believe that a good point for healers to switch off between tank healing and stack building would be in between each crystal.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)