Remove Advertisements

Questions for those that play Rift

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Questions for those that play Rift

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 am

Ok, so I've got a level 32 Rogue (Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Saboteur) and I haven't had any issues tanking thus far, with either threat or incoming damage. To be fair though, I have a pocket healer that I trust (he's been my best friend since highschool, and played a resto druid in WoW starting some time during classic.) We have a tendency to run around and duo Rifts (his words about me and Rifts "They're like magnets to you.") Honestly, if you can get into a good Rifting group, it's a fairly fast way to level.

I will say this, if I hadn't started with the Rogue, I don't know that I would be nearly as hooked as I am. It basically combines a lot of things that I really like from different WoW classes/specs into one character. Shadowstep, Blink (targetable and non-targetable on separate cds), ability to tank, fairly decent self heals (when aoe farming anyway... build up combo points on a low hp mob, let it die without spending them, let your talent heal you for like 40% of your hp {based off the number of combo points}.)

I absolutely LOVE the "dual-speccing" moreso even than WoWs. I've entered a number of dungeons that I'd start as dps or support (saboteur & bard respectively) and the tank will be complete fail, or for whatever reason they'll drop group. So instead of sitting around waiting for another tank or whatever, I'll swap over to my tank spec, and we'll 4 man the rest of the dungeon. I've actually done that a couple of times on my first run-through of a particular instance, though again, having my pocket heals friend (sometimes he's dps, but w/e) that has run them all, definitely improves that aspect.

I'd have to say my least favorite part, is actually a somewhat fun thing, but can be annoying: the soul trees. Having only recently started, they seem very overwhelming, and without any knowledge of the game, it's hard to decide what may or may not be a good talent (though with exactly 51 possible points in each tree, and the final "root" ability being at 51 points, you'll likely have every talent in the tree {unless you don't want that final root ability, and that's a very definite possibility.}) As it is right now, I'm trying to decide what I want my other 3 roles to be. I've fairly well settled on RS tanking and Sab dps, but I'm not sure where I want to go from there. I tried out the Bard, but it's far too many timers to watch for me to enjoy it, and it isn't able to main heal.

Oh, and since someone asked and I didn't see a response:

Warrior (Tank/DPS options)
Cleric ("Tank"/DPS/Heals options)
Mage (DPS/Heals/Support options)
Rogue ("Tank"/DPS/Support options)

I put Tank in quotes because I've seen them work so far up to lvl 32, but from what I've heard, they aren't well-rounded enough for everything at end-game. Sure you can have them MT for specific fights, but they aren't as flexible as Warriors to be able to cover any scenario. Also, I'm unsure if Clerics/Warriors have Support options, but what I have listed are for sure.

Sorry for the wall-o-text, but those are my observations thus far :)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 am

Punkss2 wrote:Shard transfers that are FREE.

Transfer from everywhere to everywhere? Last I heard was that select shards are open for transfers (from or to). Did this change ?
RedAces

Postby Flex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 am

Last I heard the transfers are based on server population and balances so to approved servers wrapped in a bundle of touchy feely "We feel you should play with your friends" marketing.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby RedAces » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 am

So exactly like the wow Free Server Transfer? And all the fanboys were laughing because of "greedy blizzard" and "good Rift"....
RedAces

Postby Nothan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Punkss2 wrote:Patch 1.3 going live this morning. Should be interesting. Mages getting the nerf hammer finally, clerics still gonna be OPed as hell. Warriors get the nerf bat, again, and rogues about the same from what I can tell. Thank god the Valor(resilience sp?) changes arent going live. Shard transfers that are FREE. I think guild banks if I heard right. New PVE instances.

Any other changes anyone know about?

EDIT: Oh yeah, some of the graphic/display bugs are supposed to be getting fixed, allowing people to run at better settings/FPS.

The annoying graphic bug I keep having is the mobs eventually turn invisible and I can only target them with tab. Only takes a reload of the game to fix but annoying none the less. Also, I just hit 50 on my cleric and was trying out a raid rift since there was a pug. I was kind of disappointed as my frame rate dropped to ~10fps standing in melee which caused me to die to some mechanics I couldn't move out of fast enough because it was way too choppy. Seems like it really only happens when I'm up close with all the effects going off. My settings are quite low already and my computer is good enough that it should be able to handle it at decent settings no problem.

Oh, as another annoying graphical issue. I HAVE to have a flash video loaded in the background (youtube or whatever) in order to keep my video card temperature below 70. If I close the youtube tab, the temperatures will rise steadily and spike to as high as 95 I've seen in an action heavy environment. I'm not sure why this happens and I have never heard of anyone else with this problem. I have an Radeon 5870 btw.
Nothan

Postby Punkss2 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:23 am

The Free Transfers are working this way: You can transfer ANY character(Edit: above lvl 15) from ANY shard. It's the destination shards that are limited, and yes I'm pretty sure it's due to faction balances.

I have yet to be able to play since the patch that they said would take down the servers for approx 60 min turned into over 4 hours lol.

Guild banks didnt go live yet as they are working a bug out. There is a world event going on that will award new loot and all that, but I havent had much time to check it out. They said they learned from the 1.2 patch/event so we shall see. There is supposed to be a sweet looking pirate hat that you can get, do want!
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Aerron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:35 am

Skye1013 wrote:I put Tank in quotes because I've seen them work so far up to lvl 32, but from what I've heard, they aren't well-rounded enough for everything at end-game. Sure you can have them MT for specific fights, but they aren't as flexible as Warriors to be able to cover any scenario. Also, I'm unsure if Clerics/Warriors have Support options, but what I have listed are for sure.

Warriors have a support option, in the Warlord soul. Although the Warlord is no gimp when it comes to tanking either.

The issue with Cleric/Rogue endgame tanking, as you said comes down to the fact that the Warrior is just so dang flexible. Have a fight that requires more AoE aggro than normal? Warrior pops a Reaver soul into his mix. Magic heavy fight? Turn on a Role that has Void Knight included.

Whereas the Justicar (cleric tank) and the Riftstalker are always going to be, well, the Justicar and Riftstalker.

The solution will be to somehow work on the synergy between the cleric/rogue tanking souls and the other souls available to them. Maybe a fight where the tank has to handle most of his own healing? Justicar/Sentinel/Purifier set up, maybe.

Game's still young, I have every confidence they'll work it out.
Aerron

Postby Flex » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 am

Aerron wrote:Game's still young, I have every confidence they'll work it out.

WoW's 7 years old and they haven't yet ;p
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Aerron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:09 am

Flex wrote:
Aerron wrote:Game's still young, I have every confidence they'll work it out.

WoW's 7 years old and they haven't yet ;p

heh, true. But at least we're in a much better place than beginning/mid TBC where it seemed like there was this unwritten rule of "pallies for AoE fights, Bears for fights with a lot of spike damage, Warriors for everything else."
Aerron

Postby Nothan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 am

I was hoping maybe LFG would actually pop now that free transfers have started, but I suppose yesterday wasn’t a good day. First, there was a zone event in Shimmersand and when we were on the last elite mob, the server crashed out of the blue when it was at like 10%. That sucked, since I really just needed that one win to get another epic greater essence. Then LFG for some reason got disabled on my server so I couldn't queue for anything. Ended up playing my rogue which is a lot more fun now that I can shadowstep/charge and melt mobs non stop.

I made a warrior too just to have one. Eventually I will level it, possibly even before my 40 mage which seems to be just collecting dust. I don't know, for me it seems the cookie cutter necro/lock takes too much time to kill things and feels to squishy when killing multiple mobs at once and I don't find it all too fun.

The world event dailies are really easy. The only thing I want is the epic necklace (500 marks) regardless of whether it's good or not since I can't ever get a dungeon group :P There is also a epic source machine that's more expensive, hoping I can get that too before the event is done.
Nothan

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:12 am

I've finally "settled" on what will likely be my melee dps spec with my rogue! Nightblade/Riftstalker (currently 25/26, but most of the rest of my points will likely be in Nightblade.) I've found I just can't give up the Riftstalker's abilities to move all over the field in a blink of an eye. So I found a melee soul that I'm enjoying, and picked up all of the dps (and a few survival talents) from Riftstalker, and I'm pretty happy with the current outcome.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Punkss2 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:47 am

Loving the warrior changes. Nice to be able to actually kill people in PVP now. I'm sure it will get nerfed. I love how mages are still complaining about getting nerfed, then I get instant squirled, hit for half my hp..in about 2 GCDs....then bam I'm dead.

As for Waves of Madness, so far so good. I want the mount, dont know why, it's so damn ugly...but that may be why I want it...lol. I've gotten 3 Abyssal banners.

On a good news note, I attained Rank 5 but had no valor to buy anything lol. Back to the valor grind, yay!
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 am

I'm finding that the more I level, the less I like how the gear looks... Thankfully the wardrobe function makes it bearable, though I hate opening my char screen and seeing what my gear actually looks like :(.

Side note: Bard is starting to grow on me now that I have more of the abilities to play with (lvl 43.) I'm still annoyed with having to keep up so many different Motifs (3 "mandatory" ones, with 2 to help healers out a little bit, along with 2 Codas that provide debuffs make for a lot of 30 second timers to keep track of. Think Slice and Dice/Hunger for Blood x7)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:29 am

I bought the game for 10$ during the summer Steam sale. I figured for 10 bucks, it is worth the month of game time included with the purchase.

I'm no stranger to MMO's but I'm going into this game mostly blind. I haven't looked up any specs or read any details for classes on any forums. Right now I think I'm a Bard/Riftstalker/Ranger. No idea if that is a good or bad combo but I went into the game wanting to be a bard. When it came time to choose my next two classes, my thought process was that Riftstalker sounded interesting because the description seemed to fixate on mobility and that sounded fun and for Ranger, I figured I'd be soloing a lot and probably not playing past the free month, so having some sort of ranged attacks + pet might be a good idea. Also the bard does a lot of buffing, so being able to buff the pet might work well together. I dunno.

I'm on some RP-PVP server, Sunrest I think? I have no idea why I chose that. I don't particularly like RPing and I sure as hell don't care for PVP. The starter area for Defiant was pretty cool. I can't decide the best way to spend my month though. Focus on one character or make a few alts and experience a bunch of different stuff.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Astronomic » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:52 am

bard/sab/ranger is a pretty sweet solo build. Also since u can have quite a few specs in this game you can have a seperate bard spec for dungeons and a more dps one for soloing.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

PreviousNext

Return to General