[10] Lord Rhyolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Lord Rhyolith

Postby Epimer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 am

domipal wrote:also.. anyone else feel like this fight is the new chimaeron of firelands with the seemingly rng factor with the active volcanoes? or is it just my raid that is bad at steering

No, but then Chimaeron was never RNG. I haven't been the one steering the legs, but I know that we were having huge trouble with it to begin with followed by consistently no trouble at all by the time we killed it, which was 20 wipes or so over two nights. So I suspect it's just another one of those fights where pseudo-RNG is mostly eliminated by familiarity with the encounter (like Al'Akir normal mode).
Epimer

Postby Lumenactio » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:20 am

Felt like they fixed this to me tonight.

Opening week we killed him in about 6 or 8 attempts. Last week we spent 2 hours wiping, like 20 wipes and ended up skipping him and going and spending some time on Alysrazor instead.

Tonight we 2 shot him with the identical raid make up.

I can't believe that we can go from learning him in an hour, to 2 hours of wipes, to 2 shots with the same team every week and not have had something change server side.
Lumenactio

Postby Lehvin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:29 am

We killed him with ease previous week and had A LOT of trouble yesterday. He just seems to be turning however he wants. We have 2 DPS constantly on the turning duty and sometimes he turns with a snap and sometimes he just walks straight with all my DPS cooldowns bursted. Its retarded. IF were in trouble, our mage is usually helping to turn him, but sometimes even that isn't enough. Hes Turning bar just goes up and down whenever it wants. And i know that DPS isn't screwing up, since I'm the one calling out which leg to zerg and after the wipes, I'm always checking Recount for DPS done on the legs. Its usually all how it should be. The boss doesn't seem to care tho and turns randomly.

Anyone else noticing a kind of wierd turning nonsense after the hotfix?
Lehvin

Postby Lumenactio » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 am

We killed him post reset tonight, by the way. I saved him just incase they did more hotfixes to him. (We're in Australia so the reset happened mid raid)

Not sure if they did... but at one point our dps had him do a 90 degree turn almost. And on Sunday night when we were trying him, just a few days ago, he turned like a sick cow carrying another sick cow.
Lumenactio

Postby Rokh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:15 pm

for p2, do you stack on the tank or stack 20-30 yards away ?
Rokh

Postby Lumenactio » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 pm

He falls over dead so fast in P2 that we barely get time to stack. We just kill him. We popped hero at like 35% legs the other night and still had 6 seconds on hero when he died. :\ So next week we'll do it at 40%.
Lumenactio

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 pm

As mentioned in the frustration thread

Rhryolith felt buggy as hell last night. In part due to the targetting bug that is still pending to be fixed (and Blizz has admitted it needs a client patch to do so) and because despite Blizz' claims, Rhyolith loves activating volcanos BEHIND him.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby timoseewho » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Is it bad practice to have him go over INACTIVE volcanoes?
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 20-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:26 pm

timoseewho wrote:Is it bad practice to have him go over INACTIVE volcanoes?

VERY!

Every time he steps on an inactive one, he gains a buff that increases fire damage to the whole raid
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 pm

The dmg buff lasts ~ 15-30 secs or something, i'm not certain, but it does stack if you continue to walk over inactive volcanoes, and it will drop off if you avoid them for a little while. But if you pick up several stacks just before a stomp, your healers will curse you out.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby timoseewho » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
timoseewho wrote:Is it bad practice to have him go over INACTIVE volcanoes?

VERY!

Every time he steps on an inactive one, he gains a buff that increases fire damage to the whole raid

So we're currently working on this on heroic, and my main drivers (2 DPS) keep insisting that inactive volcanoes need to be taken out otherwise they become active at bad times (ie. the moment the boss passes them). They're right about it, but I'm just thinking, if there are no active volcanoes, should they go out of the way to avoid inactive ones? Or if there's an inactive one close to an active one, should we try to get them both? I think I'll give it a try tonight telling them to avoid it as much as they can.

The main reason I don't care about running over inactive volcanoes right now is because what's wiping us isn't exactly the AoE damage coming out, but just not being able to push the boss into P2 in time, but maybe avoiding inactive volcanoes can indirectly help us in this department?
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 20-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby Astronomic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:19 am

Just down him for our 1st time last night. What made the difference for us was putting a triangle over the head of the resto sham so all our ranged/healers could stay in his general area which made aoe healing alot easier.

Also people not getting hit by magma flow helps x.x
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby rodos » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Well, after 20 wipes on this guy last night, and only seeing P2 once, I think we're doing something terribly wrong here.

Apart from a few random magma flow fails, things just seem to fall apart around the time he loses all his damage reduction stacks. I suspect it's a combination of running over too many dormant volcanoes (saw the +dmg buff stacked to 9 at one point) and dps on the legs being too low and prolonging P1. The one time we got to P2 it was at 6:20, so he already had 2 stacks of Superheated and we wiped almost immediately.

Is all the dps on the legs supposed to come from the steering team, or should adds be down quickly enough for all dps to spend some time on the boss? Using 3 dps full time on the legs seemed to leave us short on the adds.

We're running 1 tank, 3 heals.
rodos

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:14 pm

I think they may have messed up with the tuning when they did their "hotfixes." Instead of going in there and knocking this guy out like before, we ended up getting one shot by the stomp after the phase change. Managed to keep 5 of us alive by using DG + Aura Mastery + Rallying Cry (lol).

It definitely felt over-tuned.
Jeremoot

Postby Hotspur » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:55 am

Can anyone confirm that the Adds only spawn at ranged player locations? If this is so, this would be a strong case for keeping ranged dps / heals stacked up to the side.

And Hi!

Hotspur
Hotspur

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)