Remove Advertisements

Wow partially shutting down my net...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Wow partially shutting down my net...

Postby Arjuna » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 am

Hey all!

I am having a weird problem...

Sometimes when I start wow my net crashes. But not completely, I can still listen to spotify and other things, but Firefox, wow, my laptop, my smartphone, they all can't connect to the net somehow...

Anyone recognize this? I find it very weird that a connection can be so...selective...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Re: Wow partially shutting down my net...

Postby Forgrim » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:14 pm

HOLY HELL.

I had this same problem a couple months ago and it randomly happened every now and then (not in the past month or two tho). It was after some sort of patch, and then whenever I started WoW, my entire network would slow to an absolute crawl. Shut WoW off and poof, back to normal.

My fixes were destroying my caches, and interface folders and building them back up (which helped sometimes)

but i've been totally fixed after i changed my router setting to be a dmz server for my personal pc.

I don't know, I still technically haven't fixed it, I just worked around it. It was hell on my raids tho

I should also mention, I believed the problem was tukui/elvui, but i'm using elvui and don't have the problems these days so i don't know.
Forgrim

Postby Arjuna » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:22 am

The mystery deepens...

It seems I can't access facebook after I tried to login today(got a "you have been disconnected from the server when trying). But Maintankadin and the guild webpage is just fine...

VERY mysterious!
Arjuna

Postby lythac » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:06 am

Do you load the game through the Launcher? Try doing it without (if you do).
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Arjuna » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:06 am

lythac wrote:Do you load the game through the Launcher? Try doing it without (if you do).

I'll try it out next time, thanx!
Arjuna

Postby Syncognition » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 am

WoW has a P2P option for patch distribution. If it is anything like many other P2P programs, it creates a ton of open connections to upload to other clients. This can choke many consumer networking devices (routers, DSL/Cable modems, etc.) that aren't designed to handle as many connections or saturate your bandwidth. The result is often browser timeouts and high latency. Data that is already streaming is sometimes ok because of buffering. It is just the initial request that tends to have problems. At least that has been my experience with it. Disabling P2P transfer might help.
Syncognition

Postby Holyblaze » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Yeah..since 4.2 I can not use my Launcher and must go into WoW folder and launch from there. Never had an issue at all until this last patch. Now launch ANY program sucks ballz!!!!!!! So slow. Loading anything web takes 10 days as well! WTF over!

Ima have to see if my P2P is still off!
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 am

It's just blizzards way of slowing taking over da interwebs.

<Insert Evil Chipmunk Laugh>
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Taeron » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:37 am

There is a network section under ingame options, available via the game menu. If I remember correctly, there is just one checkbox under Network that is for improving network connection. Try having that box unchecked if your net is having problems during gameplay.
Taeron

Postby Arjuna » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:43 am

Taeron wrote:There is a network section under ingame options, available via the game menu. If I remember correctly, there is just one checkbox under Network that is for improving network connection. Try having that box unchecked if your net is having problems during gameplay.

It's not during gameplay I'm having problems, it's when connecting.

Anyway, I have ditched the launcher and now it's working normally...
Arjuna

Postby Winkle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:47 am

Since 4.2 I've hat problems with the launcher sometimes disconnecting me from the interwebs, a router reset fixes the issue, but is annoying.
Winkle

Postby Shathus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Not to hijack this thread (ok well I do mean to), a guildie has been having bad lag issues since the patch. I think they've done everything but reinstall WoW, but her husband is having the same issue. While still possible, it seems unlikely that it would affect both of their computers. In talking with Blizzard and their ISP, everyone just points fingers are each other.

Bought a new router this weekend which didn't seem to help things. Blizzard had her run a tracert and things seem to start out ok, but response times die as the ping gets 'closer' to Blizzard. They're both very frustrated, and I didn't know if anyone else had had similar issues and done anything that may have resolved it.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Return to General