The age-old debate: DBM vs. BigWigs.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: The age-old debate: DBM vs. BigWigs.

Postby warden » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:43 am

One of the primary factors on boss mods is the guild that is leading the development; Bigwigs has access to a lot of logs and development lead-in from some of the high-end european guilds (Ensidia, Paragon), IIRC, which sometimes leads to it being updated a day or so faster... on the flip side, many of these guilds do their own in-house versions that don't get released to the public in the interest of protecting their lessons-learned on progression.

We do a lot of the tweaking on DBM (and don't raid on tuesday). A couple other guilds that are more progressed help with logs (Thanks Karn), but having access to a more progressed 25 man guild's logs would speed DBM development by a LOT, and that guild would probably be at an advantage in the fact that they could request specific features from the Devs... If anyone in the top-25 (25 man) or so would like to consider taking us up on this, please let me know and I'll have Mysticalos get with you. He keeps these private (doesn't even share them with the guild as a whole), and as a 3-night-a-week guild, we're not actively threatening the rankings of top 25 guilds :P

There are other minor things if you only get your mods off of curse (some releases take longer to approve and push to the client than others), but that's the crux of it. I know a lot of the theory behind DBM is to have timers/warnings for almost everything, but make them very easy to turn off if you don't like that particular one. Also, I prefer DBM from a tanking perspective, as Mysticalos is a tank. It's apparent in the little details... ie DBM's shadowblaze timers on H Nef were far more accurate. Personally I'm not going to claim any credit with they hard work these addon devs do; I've helped with some alpha testing and such, but their coding ability is wildly beyond mine.

Hope that answers some questions,
Ds

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 am

My problem with DBM isn't the functionality, it's the ugliness and not-so-great options menu. (Though it has been a long time since I've tried it.)

Back in WotLK the issue with DxE was that it was being developed and maintained by a single person, which meant that while it tended to work very well once updated, the updates sometimes took time, and of course that's the reason it also stopped being updated entirely just before Cataclysm. Anyone know what the situation is with it now (is it the same person maintaining it again)?

The one I've been using for Cataclysm is KLE, which is built on the DxE core and pretty much identical to it.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:00 am

Typically I stick with DBM. I started using DXE on Anub when it was the only one with correct timers for that shadowjump bullshit interruptable attack the adds did, and BigWigs on Nef when it was the only one with Shadowblaze timers. Right now I'm back to just DBM until I find something with incorrect timers.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Digren » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:41 am

Skye1013 wrote:If only the over/under TP debate or Republican/Democrat party splits were as easily solved by adding in a third option XD.

I remove the tube, and unroll TP from the center of the roll out one end.

And DXE was awesome. It picks from pretty funny sounds for some events, but that was easily configurable back to sounds I preferred, at least in WotLK.
Digren

Postby theckhd » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 am

Actually, the DXE sounds were the one thing I absolutely hated about that mod. My first impression was that the dev had a young child, because it seemed like the sounds were chosen to mimic Fisher Price toys. I had to go in and change them all to "normal" sounds before I was able to tolerate the mod in Wrath.

I'm back to DBM now, and I've been fairly happy with it. My only complaint is that as a tank, there are a lot of timers/warnings turned on by default that I don't actually need, so my first encounter with a boss usually ends up being a huge information overload clusterfuck. As I get more familiar with the fight, I start turning off the ones that I don't need just to clear up screen space and mental bandwidth. But I get the idea - I'd much rather have an exhaustive list with too many options than have too few and not be able to track an ability I do care about.

I also don't raid until Fri/Sat, so not updating on Tuesday doesn't affect me in the slightest.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby RedAces » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:49 am

I used DXE at the end of Wrath and it was awesome, I really loved it! But Cata has came and DXE has gone... so I took BigWigs again (used it since preBC) and it got me good through T11 content.
As DXE was revived I tried it ... but it failed me horribly on H Nef (no reset on Wipe and therefor NO bars / timers whatsoever on the next try). I had to ask the rogue to announce every shadowblaze for me -.- So I deleted it again...
4.2 came and I'm using BW... 2 weeks are past and there are barely any timers on BW for the fights ...
DBM has a "TRAP ON ME!"-spam, BW doesnt,
DBM has correct Berserktimer, BW doesnt (I panicked at our alys firstkill and said "all DPS go flying, she enrages soon!" But we had 4 more mins on the berserk timer...-.-),
also BW had NO timers beyond P1 @ Raggi last week. And this week just barely anything useful...
So... I'll try out DXE tonight and if it fails me (again! :(( ) I'll switch to DBM.
RedAces

Postby Kelaan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:05 am

Teranoid wrote:Didn't know DXE was back. My favorite boss mod by far.

DXE's back on the map? I'll be in my bunk.
Kelaan

Postby Gracerath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:43 am

I've been using BigWigs since TBC. I've never tried DBM or DXE. I've seen some raid videos of people using them and they were WAY too flashy for my taste. I'm sure a lot of that is all configurable but BigWigs was nice and simple right out of the box and the more time I have to spend setting up a mod, the more I hate it (I'm looking at you, Pitbull)

I have had a few problems with BigWigs in the past though. Sometimes the bossmod just would not load up for the boss we were on and it required logging out and back in (reloading UI didn't work) or it lacked / wasn't turned on by default certain no brainer things. Like who is being chased by a slime on the Omnitron Defense System in BWD. I had the little box check marked for the slime warnings but I never got one to appear. There were a few other fights in the past that had similar issues. You'd have the box checked for the warning but wouldn't get one. It was probably just a screwup on my end but I just said hell with it and learned to deal with it over time without the warning.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:44 pm

I use DBM for one main reason (disclaimer: I haven't tried newer versions of other mods since somewhere cataclysm release).

It lets you color code the bars as I want. For example, my bars start out blue, and as they run out, they eventually fade over to red. I do NOT like color coded bars per ability. I like to quickly glance for "the red bars" and go from there.

See this screenshot for example:
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Syncognition » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm

theckhd wrote:My only complaint is that as a tank, there are a lot of timers/warnings turned on by default that I don't actually need, so my first encounter with a boss usually ends up being a huge information overload clusterfuck. As I get more familiar with the fight, I start turning off the ones that I don't need just to clear up screen space and mental bandwidth. But I get the idea - I'd much rather have an exhaustive list with too many options than have too few and not be able to track an ability I do care about.

As both a main tank and primary combat raid lead, I like DBM for similar reasons. Unfortunately, There is very rarely anything I can afford to turn off since I am calling out every ability except for healer specific ones (which my gf/raid healer takes care of).

theckhd wrote:I also don't raid until Fri/Sat, so not updating on Tuesday doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Same.
Syncognition

Postby Central » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 am

Paper, seeing your ui again really reminded me I need to install that raid cooldown mod. Those bars for raid cds and external cds are amazing.
Central

Postby Vrimmel » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:35 am

Central wrote:Paper, seeing your ui again really reminded me I need to install that raid cooldown mod. Those bars for raid cds and external cds are amazing.

This is what I was reminded of.

Vrimmel

Postby Loras » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:29 am

Same, hehe. No offense, just - that interfance. My eyes. :)
Loras

Postby Volitaire » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 am

Central wrote:Paper, seeing your ui again really reminded me I need to install that raid cooldown mod. Those bars for raid cds and external cds are amazing.

Those timers are probably the most powerful tool that any bossmod can include and yet it isn't default on DBM. It really should be I think.
<Blood Runs Cold> - Stormrage(US) Alliance 10-man 13/13HM
Late Night 12am-3am EST Tues-Thurs, Sunday
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/volitaire
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/Hamstring2568
Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ire/simple
Volitaire

Postby Winkle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:53 am

Bandit2568 wrote:

Those timers are probably the most powerful tool that any bossmod can include and yet it isn't default on DBM. It really should be I think.

Raid CD's aren't included in Boss Mods beacuse that's not hat boss mods track. If you want to track raid CD's use something like Hermes.
Winkle

PreviousNext

Return to General