[25HM] Shannox

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25HM] Shannox

Postby fafhrd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:16 am

Darielle wrote:
We spent a good 2-3 hours last night seeing if we could kill Rageface (on 10 heroic), before coming to the obvious conclusion that we're probably not supposed to kill him given he has 20 million more health than the boss. We did get pretty pro at forcing his stacks to reset though via traps and distance, but at the rate we were going it would have been a 20+ minute kill, which I think is past enrage.

Considering he has the achieve that needs you to kite him to pretty much every corner of the instance, I don't even know if he has a zerk timer.

I've heard the enrage is 15 minutes, at least on heroic. Kiting him should be quick I think, so it shouldn't add much to the kill time on normal, so not sure the enrage would be an issue regardless unless all your dps are arcane mages or something.

Anyway, given all the time we put into controlling the dogs while killing Rageface on tuesday, Shannox more or less fell over dead on Wednesday when we did the same thing but directed the dps into Shannox instead. The fight really seems to be 90% not letting Rageface kill anyone or the tank debuff kill a tank, while you burn down the boss. Ryolith is now kicking our asses by a ridiculous margin, so it again feels like we're missing something critical.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby towelliee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LefjJVNlQKI

I explain positioning in the beginning before the fight starts. But we use Lifegrips from priests, just rotating them to make for easier riplimb kite path.
towelliee

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:21 am

warden wrote:We did the arcane mage thing too. Once people realized that when the dog is trapped, get the hell away from him, it was easy. We also had a rogue on full-time immo trap disarm duty, and it helped a ton in preventing wary buffs. If someone is getting targeted by Rage (not face rage), a BoP will not break the fixate, but will buy them a few seconds to get to a trap.

Do you think that would be possible on 10 man to have the rogue on immo trap duty?

If there is no enrage or that long of an enrage I feel like it may be better.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Darielle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 am

Do you think that would be possible on 10 man to have the rogue on immo trap duty?

If there is no enrage or that long of an enrage I feel like it may be better.

Disarming traps requires Stealth, and you have the http://www.wowhead.com/spell=101114 debuff, so I doubt it will be worth it.Frankly, I don't think it's worth it on 25-man either.
Darielle

Postby Kerriodos » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:25 am

One piece of advice for you Riplimb tanks: do not trap as soon as the spear targeting reticule goes out. There is a few second delay before he actually throws it, and a delay longer-still before the dog runs for the spear. I was positioning myself beside traps and trapping him right away, and Jagged Tear wasn't falling off consistently enough unless the Shannox tank kited like a boss. Once I realized I was trapping too early and left myself a bit of a run to get to the trap (meaning he was trapped later, THEN had further to go to pick up the spear) it started falling off very consistently and we killed it within 2 attempts. You will need to learn how far you're able to move him before he will go running for the spear, though.
Kerriodos

Postby warden » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 am

Being able to disarm one trap every ~15 seconds was definately worth it to us on 25. It probably would not be on 10, because that is a larger portion of the raid's dps (even our rogue swapped back to the boss during the sub-30% burn). The key point of disarming the traps wasn't because people were stepping in them... it was because it was getting very annoying to see Rageface clip an immo trap running to a crystal one. The rogue doubled as a spotter for crystal traps, and the percieved added control was invaluable to us. If you're not using a rogue, using a larger area to kite him around, thereby preventing such a concentration of immo traps in one area would probably accomplish the same thing.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Boèndal » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrL-J9iGawg&feature=channel_video_title Our Riplimb Tank PoV, we actually made some mistakes. But in general was an easy kill.
Boèndal

Postby Kishandra » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Dunno if it's said before but rogues can disarm traps out of stealth, for Shannox only. The jittery debuff doesn't seem to do anything besides preventing them from disarming in that time frame.

2-3 rogues can keep the ground around melee pretty much clear and devoid of traps, which is a very good thing since it's much easier to maneuver/kite shannox without attempting to circle around three immo traps.
Kishandra

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:50 pm

It might be different on Heroic, but Shannox-10 went berserk at the 10min mark yesterday.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:06 am

Not to cause to much debate, but you guys would say this is easier than normal rag right? I cleared FL but guildies didn't and I was just gonna do HM shannox after killed other bosses this week.

I'm paranoid we'll fail, but it doesn't seem hard at all.

Also rogues can for sure disarm immo trap out of stealth on this fight?

Is it better to just assign two players to breaking rage face? 1 as a back up to make sure they know to kite him? I was thinking that it would be better to have multipe ppl on it to increase the chance of a quicker 30k hit.( for 10 man)

Also happy thoughts towards my BH this week!!
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Ezelyn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:59 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:Not to cause to much debate, but you guys would say this is easier than normal rag right? I cleared FL but guildies didn't and I was just gonna do HM shannox after killed other bosses this week.

If it's easier (i don't really agree on this), it's definitively not easier for people which can't clean Firelands/have to learn fight mechanics. It's less permissive than normal mod (more dammages).

And you can put as many dps as you want on the 30k crit, but the more people do that, the less they hurt Shannox. Be carefull with enrage :D
Ezelyn

Postby pdrayton » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:54 am

We run 3 tanks in the raid team, we started the night wanting a 3rd tank fighting for threat on Shannox but in the end the DK tank (me) spent the fight in blood spec soaking traps via AMS, TB trinket, or just taking advantage of a large health pool and many defensive CDs + Death Strike/VB to heal myself back up afterwards.
pdrayton

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I would say that if you're doing normal mode "the right way" already, Heroic Shannox is easier than Rag because the only learning curve is dealing with heavier damage.

There's no way you're going to be limited by the berserk on Shannox. You could probably bring ten healers and still make it; the field of traps would get a bit silly though.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:55 pm

All of our mages have vanished. Until we can find an arcane mage, what would be the least worst secondary option?

I hate the idea of parking a DK or Rogue or SP on Riplimb because they're basically picking their nose for a good portion of the fight, and doing DPS to an ignorable target. Glyphed shadowflame is 6s duration 13s cd, so not ideal. Concussive shot?

Any ideas would be helpful, as I'm not very familiar with slowing effects.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:48 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Until we can find an arcane mage, what would be the least worst secondary option?

We use a MM hunter.
culhag
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)