Divine Shield not dropping stacks in Firelands?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Divine Shield not dropping stacks in Firelands?

Postby Gabe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:04 am

As the topic says.

While working on our kill on HC Shannox, after a bungling the attempt to freeze Riplimb I think four times in a row and being left with a Jagged Tear stack in double digits, to avoid dying I hit up my DS macro, but I'm still left with the stacks. At this point our MT gets gibbed though and we wipe it. Got him down a few pulls later without problems so forgot all about this.

Until yesterday when we're on Ragna and my fellow tank bites it. I figure NP, I can handle this for a while, take up to 8 stacks of Burning Wound and bubble... and am left with the stacks again and die shortly.

Is this a new design from Blizz to devalue Divine Shield or am I just seeing things? We have no logs from either of the kills so can't check from there and tried searching this forum for info but found none, though I'll be the first to admit my forum-fu being somewhat lacking.
Gabe

Re: Divine Shield not dropping stacks in Firelands?

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:17 am

A lot of mechanics were made so that you cannot Divine shield it to ignore it.
This to prevent paladins from beeing overpowered, so that they wouldnt get stacked.
Treck

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:53 am

Same thing they did a long time ago to neuter Stoneform in raids. /sigh
I realise it's necessary for balance but it's always a shame when you lose some nice ability.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Chanserv » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:55 am

Yea It won't bubble the stacks away... but if you are far enough away from every one, you can bubble (he will go chase next highest on threat) wait a sec or 2 and cancel it, if you needed a moment or so to drop your stacks.
Chanserv

Postby Gabe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:18 am

Treck wrote:A lot of mechanics were made so that you cannot Divine shield it to ignore it.
This to prevent paladins from beeing overpowered, so that they wouldnt get stacked.

Figured this was the case. Thanks for the confirmation.

I have to admit that this bums me out somewhat. I didn't think it that imbalanced as it was at best a temporary reprieve in most fights, buying a few more extra moments in an emergency.

It also begs the question: How many unique Paladin tools does that leave us? LoH, DG and WoG? LoH is nice and you can pry it off my cold dead hands but DG is not nearly as useful anymore with the 30 yard range and CD on WoG changed it from a spell with a major impact on a fight to a decent tool in a bind.

The new Holy Shield is nice and I like it but I feel it made our blocking a bit more similar to Warrior's.

Those are cool but they're just mostly self healing and a bit more control over our DR, where as Warriors have AoE slows, stuns and taunt, can handle a bunch of boss mechanics more deftly with Heroic Leap, Charge and Intervene and they arguably have more flexible cooldowns as well.

All that doesn't make me want to play a warrior, it just makes me feel that with the loss of DS stack dropping we're pretty badly losing the arms race. Though I suppose having heard the complaints from the druid and DK communities we're still not that badly off.
Last edited by Gabe on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe

Postby Sagara » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:31 am

Do note you can, as offered, use DP to win the 3-5 seconds when Rip is running back for your guts, or to clear the stack of + fire damage.

Not as fancy as what we did to Halfus+Slate, but it honestly was a bit TOO much.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 am

Divine Shield feels less "divine" every raid tier.

To quote some more failures of the skill, it doesnt absorb the damage from Bethilac explosion, doesnt remove the Torment stacks on Baleroc, doesnt remove seeds on Majordomo, stuff like that.

I think the skills it actually works on are going to be the exception rather than the standard. They should change the description to "sometimes make you immune to all damage".

Well, at least it works on Alystrazor tornados, that's all I need.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:59 am

Worldie wrote:Divine Shield feels less "divine" every raid tier.

To quote some more failures of the skill, it doesnt absorb the damage from Bethilac explosion, doesnt remove the Torment stacks on Baleroc, doesnt remove seeds on Majordomo, stuff like that.

I think the skills it actually works on are going to be the exception rather than the standard. They should change the description to "sometimes make you immune to all damage".

Groumph. That's less fun. Beth'tilac, I MIGHT understand. Baleroc, okay, it allow you to bubble without wrecking the healers. Majordomo? WTF?

To quote a certain someone, if you need me, I'll be in the angry room.

Sagara

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:11 am

Worldie wrote:To quote some more failures of the skill, it doesnt absorb the damage from Bethilac explosion, doesnt remove the Torment stacks on Baleroc, doesnt remove seeds on Majordomo, stuff like that.

Actually, it DOES work on Majordomo seeds, and while it doesnt remove the burning orbs stacks it does make you immune to the damage.
And Alyzrazor tornados is really easy to circle around.
Treck

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:38 am

You sure? I could swear i bubbled it and didn't do shit.

I'll try again today just to be sure, now I'm curious.

And Alystrazor tornados aren't very easy to cycle around if your PC is not so strong like mine :( Half of the times I end up getting caught offguard by a tornado I haven't seen, bubble <3
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:54 am

Does divine Shield prevent the damage of the torment stacks? Wouldn't stopping torment stacking up be a bad thing, because the healers would then not be able to stack up the healing buffs to keep up with the damage the tanks are receiving?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:20 am

From what I've seen it stops you from taking damage but the debuff keeps stacking.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:48 am

Worldie wrote:And Alystrazor tornados aren't very easy to cycle around if your PC is not so strong like mine :( Half of the times I end up getting caught offguard by a tornado I haven't seen, bubble <3

You just follow one and then as soon as one pass you on any side, you start following thatone, and then repeat untill boss goes down.
Easy to do even with Hatchling hitting you.
Treck

Postby Sagara » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:49 am

Treck wrote:You just follow one and then as soon as one pass you on any side, you start following thatone, and then repeat untill boss goes down.

:shock: So simple, yet so elegant... Consider yourself plagiarized this very second!

Sagara

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:16 am

Sagara wrote:
Treck wrote:You just follow one and then as soon as one pass you on any side, you start following thatone, and then repeat untill boss goes down.

:shock: So simple, yet so elegant... Consider yourself plagiarized this very second!

There is another way? *boggle*
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Next

Return to General