Remove Advertisements

[10] baleroc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] baleroc

Postby Ezelyn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:20 am

Arincia wrote:here's an interesting tactic i read. I'm just wondering if I'm overlooking something on it to see how healers are keeping the stacks up doing it this way. Going to be trying this boss this weekend and just wondering how viable it could be. (like can you keep stacks up constantly or do they reset forcing you to rebuild them up)

Can someone copy/past the strategy ? can't acces on MMO :D

Is it possible for a DK to taunt and AMS one of the hits?

Can't mitigate, he will be one shot by the strike.
Ezelyn

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:15 am

Can someone copy/past the strategy ? can't acces on MMO :D

with pleasure

My guild, <Reagan Smash> on US-Malygos got out server first kill on this guy last night (and are one of the first 5 guilds in the world to get the achievement; Share the Pain) using a strategy that, well, basically makes the fight a no-brainer.

What is required to make this strategy work;

SHADOW PRIESTS! - Atleast one, preferably 2 (10 man)

How this strategy works;

Throughout the boss fight, pink colored crystals will spawn and attach to the closest player via a 'laser beam' as I like to call it. The goal for this strategy is to let your shadow priest(s) take as many stacks of Torment as possible in order to give your healers as many stacks of the healing buff as possible at the very beginning of the fight when tank healing is fairly simple. We had 2 shadow priests in our first 10 man kill and they were both able to stay on one crystal for its entire duration (25 stacks of Torment). The hardest part about this strategy is timing your shadow priests timing their dispersion so the 25th tick of Torment doesn't kill them.

It's probably worth noting that we used 5 people in a 'rotation' to handle all the crystals, this is how we worked it.

Crystal 1 - Shadow#1 priest takes 25 stacks of Torment using dispersion.
Crystal 2 - Shadow#2 priest takes 25 stacks of Torment using dispersion.
Crystal 3 - 3 dps rotate on this crystal, the first two dps taking 9 stacks of Torment and the 3rd dps getting 7 stacks.
Crystal 4 - Shadow#1 priest takes 25 stacks of Torment using dispersion.
Crystal 5 - Shadow#2 priest takes 25 stacks of Torment using dispersion.
Crystal 6 - 3 dps rotate on this crystal, the first two dps taking 9 stacks of Torment and the 3rd dps getting 7 stacks.

If your shadow priests are using Glyph of Dispersion that cycle can continue until the boss is dead, which is actually unnecessary once your healers have 100-125+ stacks of Vital Spark. Our 3 healers ended the fight with just under 200 stacks of Vital Spark.

What needs to happen;

When a crystal spawns have one of your shadow priests go stand next to it. Healers will need to constantly be healing this person while they are healing the tank (which is why it's best to focus on this strategy early into the fight when tank healing is easy). As soon as your shadow priest hits 19 stacks of Torment they will need to use dispersion (or they will probably get one shot). If they time it properly their dispersion will last until the crystal has despawned. If you have more than one shadow priest in your raid then repeat this for the next crystal as well.

Our shadow priests were both able to take 25 stacks of Torment off the first 2 crystals, which made our healers end up with ~100 stacks of Vital Spark, so when they switched over to healing the tank the could use smaller, more mana-efficient heals such as Holy Light and Heal to keep the tank alive.

I'll post our kill video once we get it uploaded.

---------- Post added 2011-06-30 at 01:04 PM ----------

Kill video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RQCpCsAb34

Apologies for the sound quality at the very beginning of the video.

I'm rather skeptical as to getting people to take all 25 stacks of torment (but I guess id it works, then it works)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Ezelyn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:52 am

Pyrea wrote:with pleasure

Thx.

- can someone really go with 16-18stacks and still be healable without burning awesome amount of mana ? sounds weird to me, when i solo heal someone going to 12 stacks, it's Divine light spam...
- "Healers will need to constantly be healing this person while they are healing the tank" is that real ? because quite all strats (and i had the same feeling) precises this : "However you can only gain vital spark stacks by dropping the vital flame buff, which means you essentially can't heal the tank while gaining stacks"

So yes, that's work (video) but i think his explanation arn't very clear about tank healing and shard healing repartition.
Ezelyn

Postby frontallobe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:38 am

Weird melee deaths question:

I had a kitty druid die 3 out of 6 attempts to Baleroc instead of the Crystals (they are listed differently in death recount log). But... when we were attempting 2 tanking I just stood in front and was never cleaved or meleed while a DK main tanked. Any guesses how this kitty is getting waxxed by Baleroc 50% of the time?

Melee when he puts a crystal down?
Side cleaves?

I can't figure out how he's getting meleed. Any thoughts?

(We eventually killed it with just me main tanking but the kitty died that attempt too)
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Arincia » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:47 am

Yeah seems to abuse shadow priest dispersion (-90% damage taken) to push the stacks up that high. Anyways any suggestions on how many healers or tanks? (heard 1 tank 2 heals and 2 tanks 3 heals just trying to see if there's a consensus on whats easier to initially start off with)
Arincia

Postby Arincia » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Another question does anyone know if a healadon beacon works as a direct heal for getting the healing buff?
Arincia

Postby frontallobe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:01 pm

We did 3 healers, 1 tank (359 team)
Crystals we did a 5 dps rotation with them switching out at like 7-10 stacks per
Last edited by frontallobe on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
frontallobe

Postby Finkum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:07 pm

We used 1 tank/3 heals and had our shadow priest soak the entire first crystal (always 25 stacks as far as I can tell), using several cooldowns to keep the damage healable (because of how Decimation Blade works you rarely need these cooldowns for the tank). We used Power Word Barrier at ~ 8 stacks, Hand of Sac at ~ 12, Pain Suppression at ~15 and at 20 stacks the priest would pop Dispersion, which lasts until the Torment stack falls off. This was a bit of a pain to coordinate so I ended up downloading SlashIn and just writing a macro that whispers people at the appropriate point to use their CDs, and pop the macro as soon as I see the first Torment stack appear.

The net result was that our discipline priest, who because of the required cooldowns was Torment healing for the whole first crystal, ended up with 60ish Spark stacks before he ever swapped onto tank healing, which makes everything much more comfortable - he can take two "turns" on the tank in a row, allowing the other healers to catch up with Sparks and largely trivialising Decimation Blade.

In retrospect I think going with 2 tanks would have been simpler and safer, but I wanted to see if we could make this approach work :)
Finkum

Postby Winkle » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:13 am

Finkum wrote:We used 1 tank/3 heals and had our shadow priest soak the entire first crystal (always 25 stacks as far as I can tell), using several cooldowns to keep the damage healable (because of how Decimation Blade works you rarely need these cooldowns for the tank). We used Power Word Barrier at ~ 8 stacks, Hand of Sac at ~ 12, Pain Suppression at ~15 and at 20 stacks the priest would pop Dispersion, which lasts until the Torment stack falls off. This was a bit of a pain to coordinate so I ended up downloading SlashIn and just writing a macro that whispers people at the appropriate point to use their CDs, and pop the macro as soon as I see the first Torment stack appear.

The net result was that our discipline priest, who because of the required cooldowns was Torment healing for the whole first crystal, ended up with 60ish Spark stacks before he ever swapped onto tank healing, which makes everything much more comfortable - he can take two "turns" on the tank in a row, allowing the other healers to catch up with Sparks and largely trivialising Decimation Blade.

In retrospect I think going with 2 tanks would have been simpler and safer, but I wanted to see if we could make this approach work :)

Any chance you could copy and paste the macro here?

Probably trying this for the 1st time tonight but we do have a Spriest and i have slashin, it sounds like getting him to take 25 stacks will really simplify the fight.
Winkle

Postby Tebin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Well we got this guy tonight after quite a few tries, a few screw ups with getting DPS on a good cycle, and healers on one too. Getting a smooth swap of healers was critical for our success, and judicious use of cooldowns also helped (never before have I loved LoH so much!). I think having the healers switch at the right time was critical, since there are some hairy periods where he just dishes out a world of pain.

Just a wee tip - if you've still got mirror of broken images left over from last tier, I found it to be pretty handy when he gets his fire sword shit on the go.

Did anyone else have problems with him becoming taunt immune every now and again? We wiped a few times when he decided it wouldn't work, I even got an 'immune' flashing up so I knew it wasn't just him fixating or finishing a cast...really annoying.
Tebin

Postby Finkum » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Winkle wrote:Any chance you could copy and paste the macro here?

Probably trying this for the 1st time tonight but we do have a Spriest and i have slashin, it sounds like getting him to take 25 stacks will really simplify the fight.

I'm working from memory as I can't access the macro from this computer, but it's pretty simple:

/in 5 /w DiscPriest PW:B in 1
/in 6 /w DiscPriest now!
/in 10 /w Pally HoS in 1
/in 11 /w Pally now!
/in 13 /w DiscPriest PS in 1
/in 14 /w DiscPriest now!
/in 18 /w ShadowPriest Disperse in 1
/in 19 /w ShadowPriest now!

And as I say you activate it the second you see the first stack of Torment show up (I have it set to show as center icon in Grid - you will either need something similar, or you will need to assign the macro click duty to someone who does).

I will note that shadow priests, while the ideal choice for this task, are not the only option. In our alts run we successfully used a tank to soak the first crystal (and then proceeded to use the 2-tank strat), and I'm fairly sure a retribution paladin with glyphed DP, especially if they have the Mirror +resist on-use trinket, would work too.
Finkum

Postby frontallobe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:29 am

Just a wee tip - if you've still got mirror of broken images left over from last tier, I found it to be pretty handy when he gets his fire sword shit on the go.
-- I use that as well as DP glyphed for magic damage to essentially nullify the flame sword barrages (every 60s both are up). I'll be sad to give that trinket up. It's so damn handy.
frontallobe

Postby Aerron » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:18 am

frontallobe wrote:
-- I use that as well as DP glyphed for magic damage to essentially nullify the flame sword barrages (every 60s both are up). I'll be sad to give that trinket up. It's so damn handy.

I generaly Aura-dance over to Resist aura from Devo (only pally in the raid and no Shaman) and then pop TB. I barely see my health bar move.
Aerron

Postby Lumenactio » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 am

Anyone else rejig gear for this? We're 1 tanking it, and after a couple Oblivion Blade problems last week I reforged for avoidance and double avoidance trinkets. It added just over 5 percent avoidance I believe. Last week we got him for our first kill in 6 wipes (post reforge, about 6 before hand where I would get smashed by the Oblivion blade) or so and tonight we 1 shot him.

It's weird having a lower mastery, but since the rest of the fight is a joke the only annoying part single tank were those 3 hits during oblivion blade.

Thought I'd mention it, others may find that helps get them over the hump. Damage over all for the fight is higher, but that 5% gave me just that little something extra to make it past the deaths. Now that my healers have the feel for spark healing, I'll be going back to Mastery. But for a first kill or whatever... every little bit!
Lumenactio

Postby Aerron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Yeah, I rework my gear, depending on which tank job I'm doing.

If I'm taking the Desolation, I'm stacking avoidance, including a Titanic flask for the Parry. I also use the TB STR trinket that I picked up for my dps set, also for the parry.

If I'm the MT and taking the Inferno, then I use the TB resist trinket, make sure my DP is glyphed, etc.
Aerron

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)