Remove Advertisements

[10] Lord Rhyolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Lord Rhyolith

Postby Shathus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 am

Forgrim wrote:
Epimer wrote:Can anyone confirm either way about Concussive Stomp and jumping? We saw some full resists last night, but I could not for the life of me reliably time a jump to avoid it, despite trying for nearly every cast over 8 attempts. As were the rest of the raid.

I'm fully prepared for "Yes it's possible, you guys just suck" but I'm starting to wonder if people were just assuming it could be jumped based on coincidental resists while bunny-hopping.

I'm also waiting for a confirm of yes, you can jump this because well...i decided to try so i was bunny hopping the ENTIRE attempt we killed it. And I got hit by every single stomp. I'm gonna call shen's til i see a log that says otherwise.

Then i'll admit I suck.

I've never done the fight, so maybe this isn't helpful, but could it be like the Molten Behemoths from the dailies area in that you just have to run out a bit and then back in? Says it's a 3 second cast time, so it's basically like the shatter from Ozruk. Maybe he casts it too often to be prudent, but seems like a possibility?
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:47 am

That would work for the knockback potentially, but the damaging part has a wide enough range to hit the entire area you fight him in. As for jumping: I'm pretty sure that's just an urban legend helped along by the occasional full resist happening right when someone has jumped. Perhaps it worked on the PTR, but on live it doesn't work.
Chicken

Postby maurok » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:51 pm

I play on a casual 10m (3x 2hrs per week), and we just got our rhyolith kill, but I have the feeling that next week we'll take another couple of ours to kill him again =[
So, is my group bad at steering the boss, or is there some sort of RNG on this fight?

everyone was hitting the right leg at the right moment, the adds were dying fast(ish), but almost every try there was one active volcano appearing far from the boss (usually on his back) and that would make our ignite stacks go to the roof, and them we wiped.
The first try that didn't happen, we got our kill.

is there something we might be missing ? is our dps too low for some reason and p1 is taking longer than it should (thus, more room for RNG)?

any insight would help...

Here is the log of our kill (and many wipes):
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3ln4x51d1y7i0qfv/sum/damageDone/?s=7293&e=7594
maurok

Postby Metherlance » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 am

Chicken wrote:That would work for the knockback potentially, but the damaging part has a wide enough range to hit the entire area you fight him in. As for jumping: I'm pretty sure that's just an urban legend helped along by the occasional full resist happening right when someone has jumped. Perhaps it worked on the PTR, but on live it doesn't work.

Yep, this is correct.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby Tebin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:25 am

maurok wrote:everyone was hitting the right leg at the right moment, the adds were dying fast(ish), but almost every try there was one active volcano appearing far from the boss (usually on his back) and that would make our ignite stacks go to the roof, and them we wiped.
The first try that didn't happen, we got our kill.

This is how it felt for us. Good that they learnt from kara that fights with huge RNG like that are realy fun :roll:

Patch notes for today look like they're trying to address it:

Lord Rhyolith
Lord Rhyolith can now be quickly snapped from left to right, or right to left, if the appropriate amount of damage is dealt to the opposite foot.
Lord Rhyolith now prefers to activate volcanoes that are in front of him over volcanoes that are behind him.
Lord Rhyolith now spawns slightly further back on his platform, allowing players to stand on the edge of the terrain and not aggro him.
Lord Rhyolith no longer despawns when reaching the end of the encounter area, and does not despawn when casting Drink Magma from any of the possible locations.
Lord Rhyolith now summons in volcanoes when intended, and it is no longer possible for the first set of volcanoes to be ignored.

Tebin

Postby frontallobe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:34 am

Looks like they took a bit of RNG out with yesterday's hot fix.

Lord Rhyolith
Lord Rhyolith can now be quickly snapped from left to right, or right to left, if the appropriate amount of damage is dealt to the opposite foot.
Lord Rhyolith now prefers to activate volcanoes that are in front of him over volcanoes that are behind him.
Lord Rhyolith now spawns slightly further back on his platform, allowing players to stand on the edge of the terrain and not aggro him.
Lord Rhyolith no longer despawns when reaching the end of the encounter area, and does not despawn when casting Drink Magma from any of the possible locations.
Lord Rhyolith now summons in volcanoes when intended, and it is no longer possible for the first set of volcanoes to be ignored.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby maurok » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 am

But if I killed him yesterday night, the hotfix was already applied, right?

anyway, he was still activating volcanos on his back
maurok

Postby frontallobe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:47 am

We did as well but since the eternal embers weren't epic yet I'm thinking we killed him pre RNG and you as well. Just a guess though.
frontallobe

Postby Lumenactio » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Anyone have any dramas with this guy this week? I think it took us like 6 or 7 goes last week to kill him on our first night. And last night we spent over an hour wiping. Same team. Same people on legs. Same caller for steering. He just didn't like to turn. Or he'd ignite a volcano right behind him and it'd take us ages to turn him by which point we'd be 12 or 13 stacked and the next stop would kill us. The turn bar seemed really resistant to turning, overall it just seemed much less controlable and much more RNG then it did last week.

We had both our melee (DK and Rogue) and 1 caster (who floated between legs and sparks when called) on the legs just like last week.

It was quite frustrating. We 6 shot Baleroc for our first kill, 1 shot Shannox, 1 shot Beth'tilic and then spent over an hour on a guy we killed last week already.
Lumenactio

Postby Finkum » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 pm

We've been having big problems with his glacial turning speed as well. It baffles me that some raid groups go through and 1-shot this guy and we just chain-wipe because we can't stomp enough of the active volcanoes in a timely fashion.

Some people say that it's the frequency of hits that determine how quickly his direction bar changes; others say it's damage done - knowing conclusively one way or the other would make things a bit easier!
Finkum

Postby Ezelyn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:51 am

Finkum wrote:Some people say that it's the frequency of hits that determine how quickly his direction bar changes; others say it's damage done - knowing conclusively one way or the other would make things a bit easier!

it cant be dammage.
He starts (started since hotfix) with 90% dammage reduction and you can move him. But when he goes to 10%, he would be horrible to control...

at start you can pull 2k dps on him by person. If 6k dps (so you would be using 3 people) can make him turn. YOu can't control when you pull 18k dps by people before p2. (3 hits => 90°)

I would say it's frequency of hits, or maybe time spend on DPS (by this, a rogue can't turn him alone as a unholy dk+ retladin would do)
Ezelyn

Postby Sagara » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:57 am

Could it be the DPS as applied before the debuff?
Would cancel out the problems early and late.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Arincia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am

Sorta off topic but is there a trick to get past the trash/gauntlet for this boss without wiping a few times? Been very frustrating for my group having to wipe 2-3 times on this trash to get to the boss.
Arincia

Postby frontallobe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 am

Send someone up to the top with Sprint it ends the waves then just Aoe tank the little guys while OT picks up big guy. that's what we did at least.
frontallobe

Postby Arincia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 am

Yeah we end up doing that but problem we have is that we keep having 2 random raid members getting silenced for 10-20 seconds when fighting the big guy at the top and it ends up causing wipes.
Arincia

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)