Remove Advertisements

[25HM] Shannox

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25HM] Shannox

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:07 am

Got a few looks at this last night in spite of some awesome connectivity problems, had a 35% pull by the end of the night so we're getting close. I thought I'd share a few observations and see if anyone else had some pro tips.

Obviously Rageface has far too many HP to kill. On top of his normal Face Rage damage (which can be nasty) he gets the stacking buff from successful melee attacks. We had the best success using frequent crystal traps on Rageface and then slowing him/running away from him after the trap broke, which gave the buff time to fall off. It also seemed that the majority of the time he would aggro to the person who broke his Face Rage with a 45k+ attack (we had mages doing it, so he was usually chasing them when not in the middle of a rage).

Riplimb and the Jagged Tear debuff gave us some real problems, but eventually we were able to consistently get the debuff to fall off by trapping him right as the spear was thrown. Basically my sequence of events would be to 1) start tanking him ~60 yards from the boss 2) locate the nearest crystal trap (ranged are spread out pretty close to me so there are usually traps nearby) 3) move Riplimb about 20 yards from the trap 4) wait for the spear throw target to appear (red zone) and take off running to the trap 5) trap Riplimb and run back to ~60 yards from the boss. We found that the only time Riplimb was slowable was when he was running to pick up the spear. Once he picks it up, he gains Dogged Determination and can't really be slowed effectively. We also noticed that if Riplimb failed to pick up the spear within a certain amount of time (like if we trapped him while the spear is on the ground), he would also gain a sprint. A few times we played with having me life gripped/sprinted away from the spot where the spear was targeted, which gave Riplimb even more distance to cover (this seems like a place where Warrior mobility would be incredibly strong) and were able to reset the debuff without trapping Riplimb.

Overall very fun fight to tank, lots of movement required to trap/slow/kite the dogs long enough to reset the necessary buffs/debuffs.

*edit*
By the end I was also saving major cooldowns for ~8 seconds before the spear throw because several times I was roflstomped by the combination of Limb Rip, melee swing, DoT tick, and the spear throw.
baleogthefierce

Re: [25HM] Shannox

Postby Jonlo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:42 am

How were you handling Jagged Tear?

We were having problems with the Shannox Tank losing their stack all night, brought in a 3rd tank to 2 tank Shannox, and then just managed threat really well, we one shot it on that attempt.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 am

Jonlo wrote:We were having problems with the Shannox Tank losing their stack all night, brought in a 3rd tank to 2 tank Shannox, and then just managed threat really well, we one shot it on that attempt.

Wait, loosing the stacks was a problem for you?
Usually thats a good thing.

This is definately the halfus of this tier.
Mechanic wise, its easier than normalmode.
You just faceroll the boss, with one dpser on the dog that runs around, and a tank running around with the 2nd dog.
They dont enrage when shanox hit 30%, so its really only one phase. I dont even remember if i saw that aoe fire explosion there was on normalmode.
Treck

Postby Meloree » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:15 am

You can kite Riplimb for ages, too. We had a tank-death at 25%, right as a spear toss went out, and I just kited Shannox away from Riplimb for the remainder of the fight.

Bad fight is bad.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Jonlo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 am

Treck wrote:
Jonlo wrote:We were having problems with the Shannox Tank losing their stack all night, brought in a 3rd tank to 2 tank Shannox, and then just managed threat really well, we one shot it on that attempt.

Wait, loosing the stacks was a problem for you?
Usually thats a good thing.

This is definately the halfus of this tier.
Mechanic wise, its easier than normalmode.
You just faceroll the boss, with one dpser on the dog that runs around, and a tank running around with the 2nd dog.
They dont enrage when shanox hit 30%, so its really only one phase. I dont even remember if i saw that aoe fire explosion there was on normalmode.

Sorry, we had problems with the Shannox tank NOT losing their stacks.

And yes, once we adjusted the strategy this is easier than normal mode Shannox.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:31 am

Jonlo wrote:Sorry, we had problems with the Shannox tank NOT losing their stacks.

And yes, once we adjusted the strategy this is easier than normal mode Shannox.

We found that generally if the Riplimb tank or the Shannox tank missed dropping their stack, we would get it the next round. There is some wiggle room depending on when Shannox applies the debuff and throws his spear, but we never had the stacks fail to reset more than once if the Riplimb tank is resetting the debuff every time.
baleogthefierce

Postby timoseewho » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 am

Do you kill Riplimb at all? Or do you leave both dogs up the whole fight and just burn Shannox? Can both dogs be permanently slowed? Are there any slows that don't affect them?
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:35 am

timoseewho wrote:Do you kill Riplimb at all? Or do you leave both dogs up the whole fight and just burn Shannox? Can both dogs be permanently slowed? Are there any slows that don't affect them?

Just leave both dogs alive, killing Riplimb only lasts for 30 seconds and prevents you from being able to reset Jagged Tear on the Shannox tank (on top of the 30% buff he gets if a dog dies).

As for slows, Rageface appeared to be vulnerable to snares at all times, while Riplimb appeared to only be vulnerable for the time when he is running to pick up the spear.
baleogthefierce

Postby Arianne » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:27 am

I don't think our riplimb tank was getting their debuff reset very frequently either because I saw a 7 stack up I think. We just burned down Shannox super fast and tank swapped to reset the stacks (which took til about 4-5 stacks). Granted, we'd just swapped the feral to riplimb the attempt before that, so it was probably a matter of not doing riplimb quite correct every time, but it seemed like throwing tanks at it worked. We had also 3 tanked it last week so we were somewhat used to doing it that way.

It felt a lot easier than normal though honestly, because he doesn't do lava wave and there's no 'burn' portion of the fight without killing the dogs. Probably just that killing the dogs is the 'wrong' strat to do even on normal (unless you want to burn down rageface and deal with the static 30% because the face rage is killing random players).
Arianne

Postby Chicken » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:46 am

Considering that on normal mode the dogs gain a 400% damage and 200% attack speed increase when Shannox hits 30% while they don't on heroic, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to kill them on normal.
Chicken

Postby Arianne » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about devotion. Dunno, it may be easier to kite/trap riplimb during the last 30% of shannox's health than deal with lava wave? Definitely think that in heroic when Shannox goes sub-30% he should still lava wave because otherwise heroic mode felt easier than normal (once everyone started to move away from rageface consistently and we could reset his stacks). Though my perception is probably skewed because I was sitting for most of the night and only came in on the kill attempt when we decided to 3 tank again.
Arianne

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Chicken wrote:Considering that on normal mode the dogs gain a 400% damage and 200% attack speed increase when Shannox hits 30% while they don't on heroic, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to kill them on normal.

I wish we realized that last night :/

We spent a good 2-3 hours last night seeing if we could kill Rageface (on 10 heroic), before coming to the obvious conclusion that we're probably not supposed to kill him given he has 20 million more health than the boss. We did get pretty pro at forcing his stacks to reset though via traps and distance, but at the rate we were going it would have been a 20+ minute kill, which I think is past enrage.

Then we came up with a rather complicated by elegant system of having a hunter always break Face Rages, duck out to max range and deterrence whenever possible to keep stacks from getting high, but looking at kill logs even that seems more than people are bothering with - most look like they just kill the boss, and reset stats whenever an opportunity presents itself.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Boèndal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:02 am

Rageface follows for 10-15 secs the player who interrupted him. Our Arcane Mages were on that duty and had blink + iceblock if something goes wrong. We tried to trap him everytime he wasnt prevented due to his debuff. So you have 10 secs trap + 10 to kite to let the buff run out, pretty easy with blink/movespeed etc.
Boèndal

Postby Darielle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:42 am

We spent a good 2-3 hours last night seeing if we could kill Rageface (on 10 heroic), before coming to the obvious conclusion that we're probably not supposed to kill him given he has 20 million more health than the boss. We did get pretty pro at forcing his stacks to reset though via traps and distance, but at the rate we were going it would have been a 20+ minute kill, which I think is past enrage.

Considering he has the achieve that needs you to kite him to pretty much every corner of the instance, I don't even know if he has a zerk timer.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about devotion. Dunno, it may be easier to kite/trap riplimb during the last 30% of shannox's health than deal with lava wave? Definitely think that in heroic when Shannox goes sub-30% he should still lava wave because otherwise heroic mode felt easier than normal (once everyone started to move away from rageface consistently and we could reset his stacks). Though my perception is probably skewed because I was sitting for most of the night and only came in on the kill attempt when we decided to 3 tank again.

Nah, if you don't kill Riplimb he'll just murder you while he has Wary.

I think Blizzard thinks that handling the dogs the entire time is harder than the sub-30% burn and healing stacking aoe damage. Which ... well, not really.
Darielle

Postby warden » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:47 am

We did the arcane mage thing too. Once people realized that when the dog is trapped, get the hell away from him, it was easy. We also had a rogue on full-time immo trap disarm duty, and it helped a ton in preventing wary buffs. If someone is getting targeted by Rage (not face rage), a BoP will not break the fixate, but will buy them a few seconds to get to a trap.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)