'Smart' Divine Protection use?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

'Smart' Divine Protection use?

Postby benebarba » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:00 am

With all the business about the Holy Shield change in 4.2, I see comments like the following (a partial quote from Theck on WOWinsider) that have made me wonder about some of the advice I read earlier in cata (particularly in 5-mans):

On an encounter where you don't need to save AD/GAnK/DP for a particular boss ability, do you just use them on cooldown to minimize your overall damage taken?

I do believe that blowing all your cooldowns on cooldown for a random fight is not a great plan, since you may not have them for when you *need* them. But for things with short CDs like DP, comments like these seem to say 'don't use it, unless there is an ability/phase to use it during'. Am I interpreting this right?

If I am interpreting this right- then is it just the fact that on trash (who really seem to be the only things without some specific ability to hold DP for, and even some of them have something to hold it for), the amount of DR is just not meaningful compared to fight length and healing requirements (assuming an on-the-ball healer), so it's not even worth the mana to use it?
benebarba

Re: 'Smart' Divine Protection use?

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:13 pm

I use DP regularly on trash, typically at the start of a pull where I'm taking the most dmg. Then again I'm not raid geared yet. (Nor is my usual healer)

I can see myself using DP and HS now together for those sort of pulls.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby benebarba » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:26 pm

I tend to do the same (I'm sitting at ilvl 355 and doing 5-man heroics with the odd BH run), though I find myself waiting until after I've gotten a solid aggro lead and have several mobs on me. When using heavy CC on small packs I find myself not bothering, or saving it when I'm not exactly sure what a particular group of mobs will do (say before I've memorized a dungeon).
benebarba

Postby inthedrops » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 pm

I use it like Candy, but I also have it glyphed so often it's not much use. If there's magic damage, and I think healers are "behind", I use it without question. But I would never ever macro it to other abilities or anything like that.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Calleana » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:50 am

I find divine protection is my favourite cooldown, short time on coooldown and it often feels like it is making a big difference (I know that isn't logical).

I use this all the time on trash packs as suggested at the beginning is a great idea as there is more damage and your healers are warming up.

For heavier damage raid fights I cycle cooldowns in the intense sections and this always involve a lot of divine protection use.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby dirtypally » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 am

i have it macro'd for the beginning of a pull. Divine plea, wings, impetuous query (high parry on use), that way I can stack threat and CTC at the same time for the pull. When my spell flash addon flashes, i hit all the 3 cd's. Kings, 20% bubble and AD, thats about 90% damage reduction, thats insane. The cd's are so short i can use them every other pull if necessary.
dirtypally

Return to Basic Training & Talents