Inquisition vs Shield of the Righteous

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Inquisition vs Shield of the Righteous

Postby Toshirou » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:34 am

Hey

I have been reading some guides and thread about Inquisition being a good thing to use when pulling mobs to make sure to get enough aggro on larger packs.
I must admit i had some problems with larger pack pulls before i started doing the Inquisition-pulls, so it is really a excellent ability to use on certain pulls.

But what i am wondering is if someone have done any math on Inquisition vs SotR?
I am thinking of if it is worth using Inquisition outside of pulls, and when.

Even i get that on single targets you probably will gain more from doing a full SotR, but where goes the bar for when it might be "smart" to put the points into Inquisition instead?
When will your dps actually be better with a Inquisition then using the SotR?? (3mobs/4mobs??)
I might also add that if you have the rotation down dead to right and never miss a single GCD, you should be able to pop of a SotR right before Inquisition ends. (Espesially now that even misses with CS grant holy power as well, right?)

I also must admit i use DP almost every time it is of CD to get the three free holy powers either for a SotR or Inquisition. I even find myself sometimes saving up 3 holy from normal attacks, poping Inq>DP>SotR.

But it would still be nice to know if what i am doing actually is smart, or if i am just wasting my holy power on useless abilities.
Toshirou

Re: Inquisition vs Shield of the Righteous

Postby Epimer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 am

Not really a Gear question :) The answers you're looking for are here.
Epimer

Postby econ21 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 am

If I am understanding his coded results in the thread Epimer linked to, Theck's numbers imply inquisition as your finisher gives more total dps than shotr in rotations with more than one mob. However, he does not regard total dps as a useful metric for AOE tanking and in the TLDR recommends using Shotr for "cleave tanking". I take this to mean that if the party are focus firing on one mob, it's more important to have high primary target threat and so use shotr. Save inquisition for "true AoE" situations, where the party is AoEing everything and it's less important what's happening to the primary target.

BTW, using DP in combat is probably a dps loss despite it giving you three holy power. At least that was the inference I took from some of theck's analysis and he said that was probably true (the intuition being that you are spending a GCD on something that does no damage).
econ21

Postby Toshirou » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Tbh i am not that god at "remembering" to use DP in combat. I usually only use it at beginning of fights with large groups of mobs.

Only time i find myself using DP in combat is if i want a quick boost in TPS and does Inc>DP>SotR and back to normal rotation.

But i got the same from Theck's math thread too so...
Toshirou

Postby Jaitee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm

i mostly use DP before the fight or during the fight if im not attacking anything and i have no holy power ie running across a room to pick up an add ill DP while running across or if i cant hi the boss for a few seconds...ie running out from a whirlwind...or the boss in Halls of origination when she does supernova and my back is turned id pop DP
Jaitee

Postby daiceman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:46 pm

You are not actually reading the correct numbers econ21, right now the "highest" dps rotation is to cast Inq at 3 holy power if you don't have Inq or SD up, followed by the regular priority.
daiceman

Postby econ21 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:09 am

daiceman wrote:You are not actually reading the correct numbers econ21, right now the "highest" dps rotation is to cast Inq at 3 holy power if you don't have Inq or SD up, followed by the regular priority.

I was trying to avoid the more complicated conditional rotations, but even given that, I think you are right and I was reading the numbers wrong.

I confess I struggled to understand the numbers: for tanking two mobs, I take it that total damage is DPS + the damage number in the "2" column, for 3 mobs, it is DPS + two times the number in the "3" column etc.

Assuming that, and putting the numbers into excel, my original statement was wrong - you don't get more total dps with inquisition on 2 mobs than with shotr. I am not sure where I got that from - maybe multiplying the "2" damage column by two or something.

The rotation you refer to (rotation #5 in the AOE table) gives the highest total dps up to 3 mobs.

At 4 mobs, forget the SDSotR (rotation #10).

At 5+ mobs, forget SotR (rotation #11).

The surprising thing for me is that refreshing Inq before it expires is a dps loss (rotation #11> rotation #9) even on 6 mobs, although the difference is slight (0.5%).

All my statements refer to the numbers without the AS glyph.
econ21

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice