Remove Advertisements

[25] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Ragnaros

Postby towelliee » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhgk107YwRc --- This is the Video of the downing.

From a Tank PoV:

Myself and the other Paladin basically taunted at 3 stacks of Burning Wound (i think that is the name). And basically afterward when the stacks fell off we just taunted off eachother.

Hammer Smash - We never really got hit by it.

Positioning - We stood on the right most circle in front of Ragnaros. Also watch out for knockback + lava wave passing by I almost had a bad RNG moment and got knockback into a Wave.

The Scion adds are definitely solo tankable while the other tank handles Rag.

I geared more toward Stamina on this one with Divine Protection Glyphed to negate some of that burning wound damage.

For the Sons of Flame I would just suggest if you don't have 5 Paladins in raid to maybe Glyph Holy Wrath. I was just assinged to HoJ one target depending on where the Hammer landed.
towelliee

Re: [25] Ragnaros

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:38 pm

WHOOAH HOLD UP! So I didn't even watch your video yet just saw the start up. Wanted to say I watched a bunch of those TGN movies from the PTR and it really helped me with like getting tons of server first and TOP US kills.

Rocking videos. I wish my douche bag guildies would play on the PTR. Might make things a little bit more easy sometimes. I'm totally going to armory you now btw. Then double post after I watch the video and ask questions. Or I'll just ask the questions in a 10 Man thread since I'm in a 10 man guild. Either way thanks for the good videos.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Kerriodos » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:36 pm

I only watched some of the video, but it seems we used pretty much the same strategy. My guild was able to go from first Rag pull to kill in less than three hours, without PTR attempts on this or any boss in the instance, so the strategy is solid. Excellent video for learning the fight.
Kerriodos

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:26 am

towelliee wrote:Hammer Smash - We never really got hit by it.

There's actually a little space between where the hammer comes down and the pool of lava that Rag is sitting in, so if you are close to the edge of the pool you cannot get hit by the smash or the resulting waves of fire. We actually use that to our advantage on the second phase when the seed explosions/hammer line up.
baleogthefierce

Postby Jaitee » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:15 am

tried this tonight didn't get it but i have a few questions!

during the second phase when the fire is near there is only a small gap between being out of melee range and being in the fire when stacked up for adds and he does his hammer attack what do i do since i cant run in and i cant run out since ill be outside of melee and get flamed by him and i cant run to either side since ill get hit by fire waves where do i go?

on a few attempts some of our clothies got hit my rags melee during the stack for adds part when the fire is near rag and we run out im pretty sure this is from me getting out of melee range while they are still in there but i thought when he couldnt melee his main target he used that fire attack thing like alakir and electrocute...i try not to run out of melee but i dont really have time to dawdle since i have a high (350+ usually) ping and when swarmed by adds it can be hard to see exactly where i am!
Jaitee

Postby madmessias » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Jaitee wrote:tried this tonight didn't get it but i have a few questions!

during the second phase when the fire is near there is only a small gap between being out of melee range and being in the fire when stacked up for adds and he does his hammer attack what do i do since i cant run in and i cant run out since ill be outside of melee and get flamed by him and i cant run to either side since ill get hit by fire waves where do i go?

on a few attempts some of our clothies got hit my rags melee during the stack for adds part when the fire is near rag and we run out im pretty sure this is from me getting out of melee range while they are still in there but i thought when he couldnt melee his main target he used that fire attack thing like alakir and electrocute...i try not to run out of melee but i dont really have time to dawdle since i have a high (350+ usually) ping and when swarmed by adds it can be hard to see exactly where i am!

The lava waves always go left, right, and straight infront, so just stack on top left or top right of it.. Also i found it easy to check where you can stand during fire in meele if you tilt your camera up abit.
madmessias

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:48 pm

During the seeds, it's always safe to stand right in front close to him. If there's an Engulfing Flames there, it will disappear before the hammer goes out.

I've never seen him line the hammer up with Engulfing otherwise, but it should be safe to run slightly out to avoid it since he stops meleeing during the hammer smashes.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby cuantro » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 am

So we got our first attempts in on this last night. 10m. How are people handling the sons... they were rocking us hard. we were stunning the ones closest to rag. and trying to snare/burst down the remaining adds. Here was our raid comp

H pal
R sham

ele sham
Fury war
MM hunt
Destro lock
arcane mage
S priest

Blood dk
Feral druid

Are they immune to snares/slows because none of them seemed to be working. I know death grip worked and assume that knockbacks also work. Will RoF, roots, chillblains CoI work?
cuantro

Postby Arkesh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 am

cuantro wrote:Are they immune to snares/slows because none of them seemed to be working. I know death grip worked and assume that knockbacks also work. Will RoF, roots, chillblains CoI work?

They're definitely immune to roots, as for slows, I'm not sure, I think they can be, but the slow isn't all that noticeable when they have the buff.

We had our shadow priest handle the the two adds closest to the hammer on one side, however he needed a stun from our resto druid to do that. On the other (if it was in the middle) our fury warr would handle the other two - if the hammer landed to a side, he'd get the two between the hammer and the lava. Then the rest of the dps just nuked the remaining adds. We found it was best to save stuns in general for emergencies, like an add that's spent most of it's time coming through the lava, just stun it once it comes out of it.

You'll want to keep you ele shammy near the hammer for knockbacks, probably wouldn't hurt to have your holy pala glyph holy wrath and backup the shammy.

The biggest mistake we made in the begining was taking adds down to 20% or dead, once they lose their buff at 50% they move at walking pace, just get them to 50 and switch to another with the buff.
Arkesh

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:00 pm

I believe Sons are straight immune to snares and roots. Their movement speed depends solely on their HP from 50% up.

Stuns, deathgrips, and knockbacks all work. Holy Wrath is great here.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:10 pm

A rogues feint should work for every trap right? so when the mage says popping in 3,2,1 he should have his feint up?

Since it reduces the damage taken by 50 percent? Or does the damage from that trap not count as AoE?

Also nifty trick. Just use your bubble as a CD. When your other tank is tanking the boss and you have 3-4 stacks, there is no point of taking 15-20k damage every 2 seconds, plus magma traps. Bubble won't remove the effect but it will immune you through the damage. So you should. Your DPS isn't going to be that significant.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Dantriges » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:54 pm

So what are you doing during transition phases? Seems the current argument in my guild is that the tanks are needed in p2 to p3 for tanking anyways, so we aren´t really planned in for anything in p1-2.

I thought that at least we could throw a random stun but evil stun DR makes that counterproductive? First time I heard of that. Stun DR ok but well it´s not like interfering with another guys stuns would do much besides allowing a rogue to build up combo points for something, like his stun finisher if he uses it or well, a finishing move.

Is it 3 times until immune still?
Dantriges

Postby Treck » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:32 pm

its 3 stunns, then immune yes.

If you can, you can try to setup some kind of assignement for the 8 spawns (should be pretty easy as they always spawn the same) and have people use their long duration stunns first, then just FFA stunning if needed, no point stunning them just cuz you can, and no point stunning sub 50% hp adds.
The ammount of attention you put on the assignements are heavy dependant on how many grips/pushbacks you have in your raid tbh.
Try to grip those close to hammer as soon as they spawn, then it can be aoe'd together with the others and should easily hit 50% before needing a stun at all.
Otherwise you have your knockbacks.
Treck

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)