Time for heroics, but where to start?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Time for heroics, but where to start?

Postby Big Mushy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Heya all, Just asking for some advice, I'm a 70 Tankadin, not greatly geared, but I have 12.4k unbuffed health with 490 def (mostly in blues) There are only a few gear upgrades for me pre raiding, that never seem to drop for me, and I've found good subs for them.

Anyway, upon talking to one of my Tank friends (He's a warrior but I won't hold it against him :lol: ) he said its time I start looking for some heroic action to get some nicer gear. So my question is, which heroic should I start off with? I know Mech is the easiest for badges even after the badge nerf but I'm not sure, any help would be fantastic thanks all!
Tankadin-70-Barth
Big Mushy

Postby Worldie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:32 pm

Botanica, Mech, SP, UB, Ramparts are good places to start.

Also if you don't mind bringing 1 or 2 CC and a good healer, SH is a very good place (you will not need CCs there later ^^ )
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Big Mushy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:36 pm

Awsome, thanks for the reply. Will have to try one today I think :D
Tankadin-70-Barth
Big Mushy

Postby Zeels » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:17 am

Ramparts and mech are not that easy IMO. Go for slave pens and ub first.
Unless you get an ace healer, then you can do whatever I guess.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Dianora » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:41 am

Zeels wrote:Ramparts and mech are not that easy IMO. Go for slave pens and ub first.

The annoying parts of Rampart, Mech, SP.

Rampart: the non-elite dogs does more damage than the elite handler thanks to the bleed that ignore armor. The beast master that pats back and forth.

Mechanar: (For the PuG without warlock) the 5 small demon packs pull. The 2 wave gauntlet.

Slave Pens: The 6 packs after boss #2 that includes fearing beast. The champion pack that fears.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:10 am

Dianora wrote:
Zeels wrote:Ramparts and mech are not that easy IMO. Go for slave pens and ub first.

The annoying parts of Rampart, Mech, SP.

Rampart: the non-elite dogs does more damage than the elite handler thanks to the bleed that ignore armor. The beast master that pats back and forth.

Mechanar: (For the PuG without warlock) the 5 small demon packs pull. The 2 wave gauntlet.

Slave Pens: The 6 packs after boss #2 that includes fearing beast. The champion pack that fears.

I'll disagree with the ramparts bit first. Stackable bleed is bad however they go down fast. The handler will Kidney Shot you and his main hand hits for 2500 and his off hand hits for 1500, resulting in a lot of damage.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Katatonia » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:53 pm

Dianora wrote:Rampart: the non-elite dogs does more damage than the elite handler thanks to the bleed that ignore armor. The beast master that pats back and forth.

The annoying part for me was the first pull in the circular room before the second/third bosses. Two dogs, a MS orc, a stun orc, and a warlock. I just AE them all now, but the first time I did the place I remember it being a nightmare.

Without a warlock, I go right side, kill mini + capacitus there, then back left for the second mini, skipping the bomb tossers completely. I find it takes maybe 5 minutes longer than doing it the 'all left' way, so really a warlock is far from the necessity in mech that most people seem to think they are. The real annoyance in Mech is Serpethea. I still get people in my pug's quite often who are shocked that we are going to attempt her at all, let alone actually kill her.

This is one of the only times I use CC in a heroic. The fearing beast isn't too bad, just focus fire it first, or have a druid sleep it. It's the dispellable kind of fear, which isn't really a problem compared to intimidating shout anyway. On the next two packs, I CC a champion and have the soothsayer and second champ taken down as fast as possible.

Some advice for the champions if you come to SP without any CC (or tremor totem) at all -- if you stand in the lightning storm it will break intimidating shout immediately every time. The trick is to dispel the root off yourself when she puts it on the group before casting the storm, because the storm never seems to hit the tank otherwise. That way you can move under the storm before the shout happens.
Katatonia

Postby Exodius » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:39 pm

Katatonia wrote:
Dianora wrote:Rampart: the non-elite dogs does more damage than the elite handler thanks to the bleed that ignore armor. The beast master that pats back and forth.

The annoying part for me was the first pull in the circular room before the second/third bosses. Two dogs, a MS orc, a stun orc, and a warlock. I just AE them all now, but the first time I did the place I remember it being a nightmare.

If I am thinking of the same group, the ones in front of the second chest, they are completely skippable.

Kill the group on the right side that's stationary by pulling into your corridor, kill the pat that circles...

Kill the group of 5 (includind 2 dogs) next to the big spikey thing.

Kill the 2 that pat to the second boss, the 2 guards, the second boss - the demon one...

Then go under the spikey thing. You can skip a whole 2 groups of mobs - there is another MS orc and 2 archers that can be ignored. If you are worried about not being about to jump down by aggroing them, just jump down from the side closest to the dragon boss. :D

You can kill the 5 pull of doom in front of the chest either to get to the chest or for rep, but they are by no means compulsory kills for the instance. :P

The only thing is that your own group must understand that the right wall is their friend in this situation. If you go to far from it while pulling the group with the spikey thing, you will aggro the chest group. :(
Exodius

Postby Big Mushy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:08 am

Well thanks for all the help, I tanked Hero UB without any problems until stalker, I made a few bad pulls but the group was good and just focused fire and let me AoE them all down it was an interesting experience and learned the true value of potions that run.

Then today I hit up Hero Ramps, and that was another big learning curve, the comments on the dogs weren't wrong the bleed hurts but the kidney shot hurts more, there was again a few bad pulls but I'm still new to heroics and my party knew and understood it. Can't wait to go back there honestly.

Thanks Again for all the help and advice.
Tankadin-70-Barth
Big Mushy

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics