Remove Advertisements

[10] Shannox

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Shannox

Postby fafhrd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Chicken wrote:I noticed while I was Affliction specced that my pet seemed to not work for it either, Conflagrate worked when I respecced Destruction though.

Edit: Also random pet class note; obviously I am way above this and would never get stuck in a crystal*, but despite that I have somehow become magically aware that you can get your pet to attack the crystal you're trapped in even though you're not capable of doing anything else.

*I totally got trapped in one of those on our kill tonight, don't tell anyone.

You should be able to do that with anything, I don't think anything prevents me from issuing commands to a pet - if the pet is also stunned, then it doesn't respond to them is all. You can have your pet help break you out of sindragosa iceblocks too, as well as the help break the shield when Atramedes trash has you stunned.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Geaux » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 am

Wanted to give some info from our kill last night. We gave a few attempts this week in our 25 mans and in my opinion this fight on 10 is retardedly easy...especially after the hot fix with the rage face damage.

On 10 man this fight is much more forgiving.

Basiclly we seperated shannox and rip limb as much distance as we could. We had some isses with rage face running over an immolation trap when he would return the spear to shannox. This caused him to get the debuff to where he couldnt be trapped again for another 30 seconds. Having to learn this mid-fight cause me (rip limb tank) to take way to many stacks (as the frost traps wouldnt apply and freeze the dog to buy more time). I maybe wiped my stacks off 2-3 times the whole fight. Because the fight wasnt very healing intensive on 10 man we decided to just nuke down rage face to take him out of the equation. We then put 2 DPS on shannox and the other 3 on rage face to DPS the dog to his death and have shannox at 35%. After this you just coordinate the occasional CD's to keep the MT alive, pop hero, and dont stand in fire.

I read alot of posts saying the dog could be slowed or snared on 10 man after he retrieves the stick. Riplimb was not snareable at all. The slow may have worked some but it didnt seem overly noticeable, It almost seems that he does run a little slower when he has the spear...I'm not sure if blizz intended it to be that way of if some form of slow was applied on the dog and it was helping. Bottomline though is that you probably wont wipe your stacks off everytime the spear is thrown but with managing proper CD's it wont be a problem at all.
Geaux

Postby Aerron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 am

Geaux wrote:I read alot of posts saying the dog could be slowed or snared on 10 man after he retrieves the stick. Riplimb was not snareable at all. The slow may have worked some but it didnt seem overly noticeable, It almost seems that he does run a little slower when he has the spear...I'm not sure if blizz intended it to be that way of if some form of slow was applied on the dog and it was helping. Bottomline though is that you probably wont wipe your stacks off everytime the spear is thrown but with managing proper CD's it wont be a problem at all.

I was definitely noticing a difference when our Arms War got Piercing Howl or Hamstring on Riplimb to slow him. Made it much easier for me (Shannox Tank) to kite the boss away so that stacks would fall off.
Aerron

Postby Gab » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:59 am

I can confirm that our mage slowing Riplimb made a significant difference. Not positive but you might have to wait until Riplimb has picked up the spear?
Gab

Postby Aerron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:02 am

Gab wrote:I can confirm that our mage slowing Riplimb made a significant difference. Not positive but you might have to wait until Riplimb has picked up the spear?

What we were seeing last night:

Before he picked up the spear, he could be trapped, either by a Crystal Prison or a Hunter trap. Couldn't be slowed though.

After he picked up the spear, traps of either type no longer work. However, he could be slowed.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it some more, I remember our Hunter saying he could trap him, but don't recall ever seeing him actually needing to do so ... so don't quote me on that.
Aerron

Postby frontallobe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am

Can we bubble and bop stacks of either stacking debuff?
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Juugimus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:23 am

Bubble did not remove stacks when I tried it.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Volitaire » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

We will be taking this on tonight, though it looks like we might have only a partial raid group. I am hoping the burn rageface then the 2 dps on Shannox and 3 on Riplib method will be doable. Have done a ton of research and this looks to be hands down the easiest way to handle this fight.

Really no bubble stack drops...sucky :(
<Blood Runs Cold> - Stormrage(US) Alliance 10-man 13/13HM
Late Night 12am-3am EST Tues-Thurs, Sunday
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/volitaire
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/Hamstring2568
Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ire/simple
Volitaire

Postby Gab » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am

If you could bubble off stacks, P3 would be somewhat trivialized. It's really not difficult to get stacks to fall off if you spread the Riplimb and Shannox tanks out a little bit and have the Riplimb tank try to trap him as the spear is being tossed. Between the trap and a slow stacks shouldn't be a problem if you are doing it properly.
Gab

Postby Volitaire » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 am

P3 was the real reason I was hoping for bubble drops. But oh well...not that long of a period of time to have to do the untauntable threat swapping. Hopefully only once or twice at best.
Volitaire

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 am

A couple observations from our kill last night. My raid was about ~362 ilvl on average.

We employed the nuke Rageface method. Once he was down we dps'd Shannox to 35% then pawned Riplimb, then Shannox. MT slowly kited Shannox as traps built up around him.

As posted in the 25m thread, rogues CAN disarm the traps, which can help avoid riplimb getting the frost immune debuff. My raid also noticed the issue with the one trap giving Riplimb immunity to the frost trap and the rogue was able to help clear some of these traps out to reduce that likelihood. YES, this does reduce rogue dps, but until the burn phase, it is an acceptable loss of dps and once you are in the burn phase you no longer need to disarm.

As the MT healer I have grown accustomed to using set focus for my tank to track things like Halfus stacks, and I used it here. My observation is that Shannox will apply a new stack and throw the spear on two different timers. If the MT stack time is down to about half (~15 secs) when the spear was thrown then it was an almost guarantee stack drop as long as the Riplimb tank was on his toes. However, if the MT stack was refreshed just prior to the throw it was an almost guarantee refresh. I can't comment on the OT stacks but he did not seem to be doing that badly.

I also noticed, that I (and the entire raid in general) was a lot better at avoiding the various traps last night for the few attempts it required to down him. So I think the learning curve for fight mechanic awareness is pretty quick.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Volitaire » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:36 am

@Hrobertgar

Great info as I think our raid comps will likely be very similar. We have a rouge and our raid will be ~362 ilvl on average as well. I will be MT so thinking I might have to try and really kite alot if the spear gets thrown after a refresh has happened. Maybe this will allow me to avoid the refresh.
Volitaire

Postby Aerron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 am

Hrobertgar wrote:As the MT healer I have grown accustomed to using set focus for my tank to track things like Halfus stacks, and I used it here. My observation is that Shannox will apply a new stack and throw the spear on two different timers. If the MT stack time is down to about half (~15 secs) when the spear was thrown then it was an almost guarantee stack drop as long as the Riplimb tank was on his toes. However, if the MT stack was refreshed just prior to the throw it was an almost guarantee refresh. I can't comment on the OT stacks but he did not seem to be doing that badly.

Along these lines, I (Shannox tank) noticed something kind of odd last night on a few of our attempts. He would toss the spear and I would immediately look to see where the timer on the stack was at, to try and gauge how long I needed to kite him. At least twice, I would have no stacks at all and could basically just stay where I was.

Anyone else have this happen? I'm guessing either the Arcing Slash can be dodge and/or parried and I got a lucky long streak; or that his timers were somehow screwed up and he threw the spear right before he needed to refresh on me and the stacks fell off before I noticed.
Aerron

Postby Tebin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Killed this bad boy last night.

Tanks
Paladin (me)
Druid

Healers
Shaman
Holy priest
Disco priest

DPS
Hunter
Hunter
Warlock
DK
Shaman (Enhance)

We started by setting two beacons about sixty yards apart. One tank for Shannox stands on one, the other for the tankable dog on the other. This gives the dog some big travel distance, and I lost my stacks for all but the first set (when there weren't many crystal traps on the ground). Hunters would drop frost traps at the spear when it landed in order to slow the dog some.

We chose to kill ripface first since he's a bit buggy (as others have said) and the RNG element to him made DPS's survival a bit choppy.

After he dies raid healing becomes trivial. The Shannox tank takes a bit more damage, but it's nothing heavy. If you're so inclined you can swap to seal of insight for a bit of self healing since you have most the fight to build up threat on your tank target, be it the dog or Shannox.

P2 is pure burn. It's nice to be life gripped into a clean patch if a priest can. You should probably clear a nice big area so you can kite shannox into somewhere less trap filled for this phase.

EDIT: If you're dogtanking, remember that the area the spear will land in is highlighted before it lands. Kite the dog away from this to increase its travel time. For bonus points, kite it so it'll run through a crystal trap on the way.
Tebin

Postby Epimer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Does anyone know if Glyph of Dazing Shield works as a slow for Riplimb (when he's slowable, obviously)? Being self-sufficient in applying slows would be helpful.
Epimer

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)