[10] Lord Rhyolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Lord Rhyolith

Postby Juugimus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:11 am

Headed to this guy after getting down Shannox and had problems with this fight.

How many DPS are you guys using to steer him? Do you stay mainly on one leg or do you have DPS on both legs and swap for sharp turns?

We tried using two DPS on the same leg and one on each leg. We also tried having three or four DPS on him to help turn him quicker.

We were also having an issue with the turn gauge not showing up for some people.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Re: [10] Lord Rhyolith

Postby Gab » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 am

We solo tanked the fight so we had 6 dps. All dps would help steer the legs, with one dps calling out which leg and how much to dps it. With all the dps helping to steer we could make necessary sharp turns. We would have the ranged dps switch to sparks when they came out, and help catch up on small adds if I fell behind. AFAIK everyone could see the turn gauge, so it might just be an issue with individual UIs.
Gab

Postby Juugimus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:15 am

So you killed the little adds yourself for the most part?

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Gab » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:29 am

Juugimus wrote:So you killed the little adds yourself for the most part?

Yeah for the most part. I did close to 40% the damage to the fragments. I guess our DK did help out a bit more than I thought, pretty sure he was parse hunting :o . I think I could have handled them myself except for times where I would get cut off by the lava streams, which is when I would round them up and then call for some help.
Gab

Postby Arincia » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:46 am

For those that have killed this yet would you say this could be 2 healed and would there be enough of a advatange 2 healing it over 3 healing. (assuming only using 1 tank)
Arincia

Postby fafhrd » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Arincia wrote:For those that have killed this yet would you say this could be 2 healed and would there be enough of a advatange 2 healing it over 3 healing. (assuming only using 1 tank)

I think our healers mentioned they should have 2 healed it, but I'm not sure if that was this boss or one of the others.

A lot of the raid damage is from the Concussive Stomp, which can apparently be avoided completely by jumping, like on the trash in that Deepholme instance. We'd killed him before I heard that though, so can't confirm. I know that the damage from the stomp the giants before Baleroc do can definitely be avoided by a well timed jump.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Gab » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Arincia wrote:For those that have killed this yet would you say this could be 2 healed and would there be enough of a advatange 2 healing it over 3 healing. (assuming only using 1 tank)

If you have 2 solid healers you can probably 2 heal it, it's definitely not necessary though. An extra dps wont help all that much in P1, and P2 doesn't last long with hero.
Gab

Postby Ezelyn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:24 am

Gab wrote:If you have 2 solid healers you can probably 2 heal it, it's definitely not necessary though. An extra dps wont help all that much in P1, and P2 doesn't last long with hero.

+1, i'm not sure it will make a real impact. Adds are cleanable by 3 people, and all the dps you can bring will have a low output due to armor (and the end of P1 and P2 are really short...)

the problem with only 2 heals is more about range than about mana/output.
It really depends if your raid is disciplined or not.
Mine isn't so there are always people on both side on the plateform.

By the way we've down it before i knew the stomp could be avoidable (is he really totally avoidable, does someone can confirm ?). If it is, the fight could be a little boring with 3 heals.
Ezelyn

Postby Tebin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:00 pm

We've had a bit of trouble with this fight, despite many people saying it's the easiest. It just feels really RNG, and if the volcanoes turn up in crap places, we die. I think it's not helpful having dot-based dps classes like spriest and warlock, who aren't able to make turns.

Also, the little adds are an absolute ballache to pick up. They all seem to spawn slightly outside an aoe's range, and scatter wildly for the healers. Also they appear to be immune to holy wrath glyph stun?
Tebin

Postby Epimer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Tebin wrote:Also, the little adds are an absolute ballache to pick up. They all seem to spawn slightly outside an aoe's range, and scatter wildly for the healers. Also they appear to be immune to holy wrath glyph stun?

One solution to that would be to have the healers gather in one place. A quick log browse of our unsuccessful attempts tonight don't appear to have Holy Wrath stuns in effect (I have it glyphed too), so I think you're right. They are slowable with Glyph of Dazing Shield (I hadn't swapped it back out from Shannox), if that makes your life any easier.

I quite enjoyed being the small add bitch; it reminded me of add duty on Sartharion, except now it feels like I have more tools to do the job. The only thing stopping me from neatly gathering them up each and every time was either being cut off by magma jet things, or trigger-happy mages or laser chickens; if they were distracted when they spawned I was able to pile them up quite neatly. Even without the stun component, Holy Wrath is good for snap aggro on multiple mobs, although it isn't enough to keep them on you on its own.

Another fight where the new Holy Shield is excellent - best used just after the adds are gathered up.
Epimer

Postby Lumenactio » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I solo-tanked this last night. Took, 6 or 7 attempts while our dps figured out how to properly dps the legs. Our biggest issue was the dot from the active volcanos getting to like 10 or 12 and a stomp (which I know can be avoided but we're all Aussies with 400 pings and so it's hit and miss) occasionally 1 shotting one or two people.

After having a few add issues now and then, I ended up making our holy pally run RF and I marked him up so I knew where he was. I sorta made him hang around me. During the large add Sparks, we always would have 1 set of Fragments spawn, I would use a combo of an MD from a hunter and ranged taunts to pick them up.

We used 3 heals since, since once the P2 happens, the fight lasted like 20 seconds or something silly. The extra dps isn't all that important and we weren't really having issues with turning or add control dps. So I figured may as well have them heal.

We had 3 dps full time on the legs. 3 full time on the adds. And 1 add dps able to switch to a leg if called for for quick turns. Worked a treat. We had 1 44% attempt post damage reduction debuff, next attempt his armor broke and he fell over dead before hero had even expired.

Our comp was:

Prot Pally tank.
DK Frost dual wield (our normally second tank)
Arcane Mage
Destro Lock
Surv Hunter
Combat Rogue
Boomkin Druid
Holy Pally
Resto Druid
Disc Priest

The boomy wasn't a full time raider, our feral cat was net capped last night, but we got there anyway. /sigh
Lumenactio

Postby Epimer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:52 am

Can anyone confirm either way about Concussive Stomp and jumping? We saw some full resists last night, but I could not for the life of me reliably time a jump to avoid it, despite trying for nearly every cast over 8 attempts. As were the rest of the raid.

I'm fully prepared for "Yes it's possible, you guys just suck" but I'm starting to wonder if people were just assuming it could be jumped based on coincidental resists while bunny-hopping.
Epimer

Postby maurok » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:39 am

Epimer wrote:Can anyone confirm either way about Concussive Stomp and jumping?

Idk... I tried to jump many times, and lot's of them I was in the air when I got hit by the stomp... maybe my timing is off

anyway, we couldn't get a kill due to people stacking 8+ Eruption Stacks... any tips on how to avoid it?
maurok

Postby Chicken » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:52 am

Eruption stacks from having a volcano active, so the only way to avoid having it stack too high is steering Rhyolith into the active volcanoes faster.
Chicken

Postby Forgrim » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:12 am

Epimer wrote:Can anyone confirm either way about Concussive Stomp and jumping? We saw some full resists last night, but I could not for the life of me reliably time a jump to avoid it, despite trying for nearly every cast over 8 attempts. As were the rest of the raid.

I'm fully prepared for "Yes it's possible, you guys just suck" but I'm starting to wonder if people were just assuming it could be jumped based on coincidental resists while bunny-hopping.

I'm also waiting for a confirm of yes, you can jump this because well...i decided to try so i was bunny hopping the ENTIRE attempt we killed it. And I got hit by every single stomp. I'm gonna call shen's til i see a log that says otherwise.

Then i'll admit I suck.
Forgrim

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)