Remove Advertisements

[10] Shannox

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Shannox

Postby agetro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Just curious on everyone's strategy.

My guild was on the assumption we could taunt off each other to let the stack of rend fall off, but it seems neither Limbrip nor Shannox are tauntable, so I, MT, was taking a crap ton of damage tanking both. I was reading about people OT on Limbrip, and trapping during the "fetch" part of the fight, but what do you do during the rest of the fight? Raid setup was:

Pally - MT
DK - OT

Holy Priest x2
Resto Druid

Aff Lock x2
Arc Mage
MM Hunter
Ret Pally
Ass Rogue

Our raid setup kind of changes a bit. We may have a Sham Healer instead of one of the Holy Priests, and quite possibly a 2nd rogue or moonkin instead of a 2nd lock.
agetro

Re: [10] Shannox

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Well, you tank him during the rest of the fight, since an OT should be capable of that. The trap gives you a breather and time to reset the debuff. IIRC the dog is snareable too giving you lots of ways to reset the debuff between snares, traps and spear throwing.

Our strat was 2 dps each of the dogs, burning them down to 5-10%, 1 dps on Shannox working him down to 31%, 1 tank on Shannox, 1 tank on Facerape, 3 healers. Once dogs are low and boss is near 30%, kill both dogs, lust, zerg boss to 0. MT may need cooldowns to survive.

Someone else posted their strat of burning down Facerape asap, having 1 tank tank both Shannox and Limbrip, and just kiting around in a circle with the add snared the whole time till 30%, killing the add, then standing still and zerging the boss. Supposedly not too demanding either especially since you gain an extra dps by dropping a tank, but we haven't tried it.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Rand » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:08 am

We 2 shotted yesterday.

We used 2 Tanks.
The fist on Shannox, the other OT on Limbrip.

We burned down Facerape, after him, we focused on Shannox until 33-35%.
We burned down Limbrip.
Heroism and burned Shannox.

Seems to be very easy.
Rand

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:53 am

I assume your tanks were able to reset their stacks when he threw his spear? Since the Jagged Tear has a 30 second length... at what point in that 30 seconds does he actually toss his spear? And how much kiting is involved if you're trying to get the stacks off? I imagine if he chucked his spear at thirty seconds, you'd have quite a bit of tank kiting to do.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 am

you can freeze the dog before the spear lands which gives you 8 seconds, then you can slow the dog so he takes a long time to reach the boss.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:21 am

My run last night started with finishing BWD heroics, then got to FL (we wre waiting for more addons to be updated). We cleared trash and got a couple pulls on Shannox. We had one tank each on boss + riplimb, and we focused down the crazy dog. I think once we got the hang of it the MT was usually resetting stacks between 5-8 stacks, although I believe the first time or two was a bit higher. I actually put him on my focus after a bit so I could watch and anticipate how much healing he would need.

I do not know how many stacks the OT was getting, but he did not seem to complain, and I was mostly healing the MT but the OT was rarely in a position of almost going down.

For traps, it helps a little to angle one's caera down, but being in melee of the boss I did get trapped a couple of times, but I'm getting better at it. I think traps are a major disruption if you are not avoiding them propperly.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby fafhrd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 am

Several different strats seem to work:

Two different kill orders:
- DPS both dogs down to low health while dpsing boss to 30%, kill dogs, kill boss
- Kill facerape asap, then do the above

Two to three different tanking approaches:

- 2 tanks, one on boss, one on limbrip. Drag limbrip into a trap now and then to reset your stacks
- Same 2 tanks, but use snares on limbrip and distance for javelin fetches to reset your stacks
- 1 tank on both boss and limbrip, kill facerape on pull, pull boss around a big circle while kiting snared limbrip till he dies at 30%, no traps or fancy javelin stuff

Not sure which is easiest, but I've seen every single one of the above claimed as "the easiest way by far" by the guild that did it that way. Conclusion would be they're all pretty similar in difficulty, depending on which one you happen to execute better.

We did the 2 tanks, kill both dogs when boss is at 30% and then burn boss strat, with traps instead of kiting/javelins.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby agetro » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:13 am

I'm curious about moving Shannox in a circle. Is that to avoid the Immo Traps/move Limbrip into them? Supposedly when Shannox Trap is triggered by one dog, both get a buff/ability that prevents them from being trapped for 30 seconds. So if Rageface triggers, then Riplimb won't get trapped. Is this true?
agetro

Postby fafhrd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:51 am

I think you only move shannox like that if you're doing the single-tank strat, and kill the untankable dog on the pull. The circle is just so the snared dog can't keep stacks up on the one tank. You stop moving once you kill the dog at 30%. Traps are optional.

Feasibility of this is just a post on the blizzard forums claiming to have done it this way though, so take it with a grain of salt.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby golfinguy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Yes, I believe the 'boss in a circle' method is for the single tank strat - killing rageface asap. Otherwise rageface will possibly get into the traps no matter where you kite the boss.

We just had the MT move Shannox away from me(OT), as I would setup next to a trap - prepared for the spear. Once the spear is tossed I kite the dog over the trap, the MT is already a good distance away - stacks reset no problem, I setup close to the next trap. Rinse, repeat.
golfinguy

Postby golfinguy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:42 pm

BTW, is/was there a bug with rageface?

Seems the first hour or so we were getting absolutely raped by him, as he would not stop the 'rage' even when crit for well over the said value. We had a hunter and ele shammy pounding him to no effect.

A warrior had to step out of the raid, we brought in a mage and put him on rageface - rageface was easily managed. We all scratched our heads, but enjoyed the easy-ish kill.
golfinguy

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:35 pm

BTW, is/was there a bug with rageface?

Seems the first hour or so we were getting absolutely raped by him, as he would not stop the 'rage' even when crit for well over the said value. We had a hunter and ele shammy pounding him to no effect.

A warrior had to step out of the raid, we brought in a mage and put him on rageface - rageface was easily managed. We all scratched our heads, but enjoyed the easy-ish kill.

For our couple pulls we noticed no issue. Although we normally have a mage and a hunter in our raid group. The mage easily handled the dmg value hurdle for enrage and the hunter seemed to manage the few times the mage got nailed by rageface. But I can see trying it without either a hunter or a mgae would probably be pretty challenging.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Koatanga » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:45 pm

There are known issues with elemental shaman knocking off the face rage. Fulmination is known not to work, and our ele was complaining that lava burst wasn't working either.

We also started with hunter + ele on facerage, but had to swap to the burn-down-facerage-first strat because the interrupts just weren't happening.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Chicken » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:52 pm

I noticed while I was Affliction specced that my pet seemed to not work for it either, Conflagrate worked when I respecced Destruction though.

Edit: Also random pet class note; obviously I am way above this and would never get stuck in a crystal*, but despite that I have somehow become magically aware that you can get your pet to attack the crystal you're trapped in even though you're not capable of doing anything else.

*I totally got trapped in one of those on our kill tonight, don't tell anyone.
Chicken

Postby golfinguy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Koatanga wrote:There are known issues with elemental shaman knocking off the face rage. Fulmination is known not to work, and our ele was complaining that lava burst wasn't working either.

We also started with hunter + ele on facerage, but had to swap to the burn-down-facerage-first strat because the interrupts just weren't happening.

Ah that helps, as our ele shaman was saving his fulmination for the rage and it wasn't working.

A known bug to be fixed?
golfinguy

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)