How to tank all four Hydross adds (both phases).

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How to tank all four Hydross adds (both phases).

Postby Atlas » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:56 am

Introduction

Hi all. :)

When my guild (Final Chapter) fights Hydross, I tank all four adds in both phases. If you follow these suggestions, you can confidently do the same.

My strategy has three essential elements. First, you must max your Frost and Nature resist and essentially ignore your base HP and Defense. Second, your guild members must do their part to manage the group's aggro during the fight. Last, you must carefully follow the procedure I outline below to grab and hold aggro on all four adds.

I hope this post clarifies this topic and helps a few tanks prepare for the Hydross fight. Please let me know if it works for you. Good luck and have fun!
Last edited by Atlas on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atlas

Gear

Your Frost and Nature resist are much more important than your base HP and Defense. Keep the resists as high, and balanced, as possible. My set consists of the epic and rare craftables and several green pieces with Frost or Nature resist on them. I use stamina trinkets, a spell damage mace, and the consecration libram.

My Unbuffed Stats:

11907 HP
392 Defense
265 Spell Damage
209 Nature Resist
238 Frost Resist

My Buffed Stats:

15097 HP
392 Defense
307 Spell Damage
314 Nature Resist
343 Frost Resist

Consumables:

Flask of Chromatic Wonder (+35 Resists)
Superior Wizard Oil (+42 Spell Damage)
Spicy Crawdad (+30 Stamina)

Resistance and Stamina Buffs:

Aspect of the Wild (or Shammy Buff)
Frost Resistance Aura
Fortitude
Blood Pact
Mark of the Wild
Kings

My Gear - Trinkets, Weapon, Libram:

Trinket:
Darkmoon Card: Madness

Trinket:
Darkmoon Card: Vengeance

Weapon:
Merciless Gladiator's Gavel

Libram:
Libram of the Eternal Rest

The Rest of My Gear:

Helm:
Wildguard Helm

Neck:
Pendant of Withering

Chest:
Iceguard Breastplate

Legs:
Iceguard Leggings

Ring 1:
The Frozen Eye

Ring 2:
The Natural Ward

The Rest:
Greens I picked up from the AH with Frost/Nature and Stamina.

Enchants on this Gear:

+40 Spell Damage (Mace)
+20 Nature Resist Glyph (Head)
+40 Stamina Patch, Nethercleft Armor (Legs)
+8 Frost Patch (Chest)
+8 Frost Patch (Gloves)
+8 Nature Patch (Boots)

(Unfortunately, you're going to look ugly as hell. :( )
Last edited by Atlas on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Atlas

Overall Strategy

There isn't one particular way to do this fight. I'll just list our strategy which works very well (and I think is similar to most other guilds' strategies).

Positioning:

Our healers and DPS stand on the outside rim of the battle area, spread out wide. They stay at max range of the tanks and Hydross for the entire fight (barely moving).

Healing Assignments:

We have three dedicated healers on the Hydross tanks and two dedicated healers on the add tank (me). The remaining healers keep the raid up.

Tanks:

We have one tank with a 490+ Defense / 300+ (buffed) Frost set tank Hydross during his water phase. We have one tank with a 490+ Defense / 300+ (buffed) Nature set tank Hydross during his poison phase.

The Fight:

Each tank holds Hydross through the 100% debuff. Half way before the 250% debuff hits, all DPS stops and the tank kites Hydross straight backwards very slowly (this is important because it makes it easy to predict where the adds will spawn).

The adds spawn. I center myself between them, grab their aggro, pull them right on top of Hydross, and allow one full consecrate to tick off (more below). At that point I call out "AoE the adds" on vent and our casters and hunters AoE until they're all burnt down. Then, I call out "Adds down" and our DPS focus fires Hydross.

Rinse & repeat!
Last edited by Atlas on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:57 am

Grabbing and Holding the Adds

Grabbing and holding the adds is the greatest challenge you'll face during this fight. It took me three weeks to perfect this strategy. At first, I would often lose 1-3 adds during the beginning of a phase, and 1 add during the AoE storm. If you carefully follow the procedure below, you'll grab all four adds every time and hold them until they're dead, with no help from another tank.

The Hydross Tanks:

Speak with the Hydross tanks before the fight. Ask them to move Hydross straight back and forth, at a relatively slow pace. This will make it easy to anticipate where the four adds will spawn. It will also help ensure that Hydross doesn't shift phases twice (which pops 8 adds and generally wipes the raid).

The DPSers:

Regarding Hydross:
The DPSers's DoTs must end prior to the phase shift. We ask our casters to cast only one round of DoTs each phase (at the beginning). Additionally, they must halt their DPS once the Hydross tanks start moving Hydross. He wipes aggro every time he changes phases, and this halt ensures that the Hydross tank gets the initial threat on him. We also alternate MDs to help with the shift.

Regarding the Adds:
The DPSers absolutely must not DPS the adds until you call for AoE on vent. The beginning of each phase is very fragile and the adds will peel off of you if the DPSers AoE too soon. Additionally, the DPSers must only AoE . I often lose aggro if someone blasts the hell out of a single add.

The Healers:

My healers never get aggro from the adds if I follow the steps below. Our healers continue to heal as normal through the phase shifts.

Step 1: Position Yourself

Always stay in between Hydross and your healers / DPSers. Move roughly 5 yards from Hydross once the Hydross tanks start moving him for a phase shift. Follow him. Once the adds spawn, position yourself in between the front two adds.

Step 2: Consecrate

Pop Consecrate (Rank 6) immediately.

Step 3: Avenger's Shield

Target an add (I alway target the front-right add) and cast Avenger's shield as soon as you can (you can't attack the adds the first second or two they're visible). Be prepared to rotate your character, without breaking your cast, if the adds head for your healers.

Step 4: Taunt

Often, you'll have the aggro of all four adds already. If so, skip to the next step.

If one continued towards a healer (or two if your shield missed one), click it and hit your taunt macro. Normally, you'll have to rotate your camera and aim for the outside of one of the rogue adds to target it.

Sometimes, I don't know how, one of the Hydross tanks grabs aggro on an add or two (rather than the healers as mentioned above). To taunt these adds, kite the ones you already have aggro with on top of Hydross. Rotate your camera around and click the very edge a rogue add. Pop your taunt macro.

This is by far the hardest step because it's hard to see with the other adds on top of you. It takes some practice.

Step 5: Reposition

Now that you have aggro on all four adds, kite them right on top of Hydross. What a mess (you probably can't see much - and you're blinded by bright blue or green light - right now).

Step 6: Consecrate

Pop Consecrate (Rank 6) again. Wait 6-8 seconds and say on vent "AoE the adds." Continue to spam Consecrate (Rank 6).

Step 7: Rotate Your Single-Target Threat

Pop Seal of Righteousness and judge it on the add you're currently targeting. Use the Tab key to pick another add, and refresh SoR. When you can judge again, Tab to the third add, and judge. Tab to the fourth add, and refresh SoR.

Repeat this cycle, while spamming Consecrate (Rank 6), until the adds are all dead. I keep my Holy Shield up too but I haven't checked whether it works against the adds' physical-elemental attacks.

Step 8: Back Away

Once your DPSers AoE down the adds, call out on vent "Adds down." Back away from Hydross, staying between him and the rest of the raid.

Get ready to do it all over again!
Last edited by Atlas on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:03 am, edited 7 times in total.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:57 am

Videos

I hope to post a video of this strategy in action in a few weeks.
Atlas

Postby Soulbreaker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Please do.

Westfall makes my ass itch.
Soulbreaker

Postby Lokis » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:37 am

I have had some Aggro issues, while tanking in resi gear..

Atm im tanking all 4 without any resis. Just Hunter/pala Aura. My Gear is
full Spelldmg gear. I have no Problems with staying alive, your Healers
should manage this.

Otherwise DDs are dead before saying "Hello Adds".

Lokis
Lokis

Postby Ajax » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Guild did this fight for 1st time tonight, 4 go's and he was dead ( i got Scarab of Displacement ) basicly we out geared the fight a bit only reason we not tried him before was lack of res gear. Anyhow after finding out that i had a mixed res set (153 frost and 145 nature) we tried the I tank all 4 adds trick after a couple of wipes with 4 tanks (2 MT and 2OT)

Thing is we did something totaly different which worked prefect just before the switch when adds come we had a warlock life tap and just had time to get in 1 holy light, all 4 adds onto me like super glue 2 aoe's get the dps to nuke them down. 1'st try didn't work as another healer healed the lock (doh) 2nd try at this and bam one dead Hydross. Had about 400 SD fully buffed with food,oil etc etc in res gear, one of my better idea's :)
If death comes to us all, then let it come to the DPS first ;)
Ajax

Postby earanduin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:35 pm

I just tank Hydross and all 4 adds during the nature phase - capped NR and uncrittable. Since patch 2.1 hydross no longer crushes so this start is very manageable.
earanduin

Postby Equitas » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:24 am

Great post thank you very much :)
Equitas

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:39 am

I'm kinda concerned with crits tbh. I've done my best to stack Resilience and Defense so that I'm crit-immune and that's left me with about 180 of each resist unbuffed in my hybrid set.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Atlas » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:04 pm

Lokis wrote:I have had some Aggro issues, while tanking in resi gear..

Atm im tanking all 4 without any resis. Just Hunter/pala Aura. My Gear is
full Spelldmg gear. I have no Problems with staying alive, your Healers
should manage this.

Otherwise DDs are dead before saying "Hello Adds".

I had the same problem when I first started learning this fight. The trick is to throw your shield as soon as they spawn, and then taunt any adds the shield missed (as I've explained above).

Also, make sure your healers and DPS are always at max distance. If they stand close to Hydross, you don't have enough time to get the shield and taunt off.

Tanking all four without any resistance seems kindof silly to me. Even if your healers are able to handle it, you're increasing your damage intake by as much as 250% (average resistance is 15% instead of 75%). The gear isn't -that- hard to make. ;-)

Ajax wrote:Thing is we did something totaly different which worked prefect just before the switch when adds come we had a warlock life tap and just had time to get in 1 holy light, all 4 adds onto me like super glue 2 aoe's get the dps to nuke them down. 1'st try didn't work as another healer healed the lock (doh) 2nd try at this and bam one dead Hydross. Had about 400 SD fully buffed with food,oil etc etc in res gear, one of my better idea's

Similar to pulling the murlocks for the Morogrim fight - awesome. Definitely worth a try.

Still, it can be hard to predict exactly when the adds are going to pop. In my experience, the threshold for Hydross' phase change isn't always the exact same spot, and the time it takes him to make the shift (and the adds to pop) can vary by as much as a few seconds. Add to that: your tanks are only human and they'll never move at the same speed or angle (which will increase the time it takes to back Hydross up).

Therefore, I'd imagine timing the holy light can be tougher in this fight than the Morogrim fight. You mistime it once (cast too soon, the adds pop, then you have a full 2.5 seconds before you cast it again), and it could wipe the raid.

earanduin wrote:I just tank Hydross and all 4 adds during the nature phase - capped NR and uncrittable. Since patch 2.1 hydross no longer crushes so this start is very manageable.

This strategy could work well if you have two paladin tanks - one in nature resist and one in frost resist. Otherwise, it's much easier to have two tanks for Hydross and one paladin tank for the adds.

A lot of smaller guilds, like my own, run with a paladin tank, druid tank, and two warrior tanks.

Also, I'd imagine it can be hard to grab all four adds while tanking Hydross himself, since your consecrate isn't big enough to reach them all (and honestly, consecrate is normally insufficient, by itself, to grab aggro from your healers on any mob). I'd hate to rely on taunt.

Equitas wrote:Great post thank you very much :)

I hope it was helpful!

Ulushnar wrote:I'm kinda concerned with crits tbh. I've done my best to stack Resilience and Defense so that I'm crit-immune and that's left me with about 180 of each resist unbuffed in my hybrid set.

Don't be scared! :wink: My defense is ridiculously low for this fight, and my two healers (usually a disc priest and a paladin) have never had a problem keeping me topped off.

In my experience, the resistances make a much greater reduction to your incoming damage than reducing your chance to be crit. In addition, once you get your resistance high enough, the crits you take will be reduced by 25, 50, 75 or 100%.

To get a better picture of what I'm talking about, check out the chart near the middle of http://www.wowwiki.com/Resistance. As you approach 350 resistance, you virtually never take a full hit or a 75% damage hit. Meanwhile, a full 80% of your incoming hits will be reduced to 25% or NO damage.

If you're just starting the fight, and your healers need a bit of help, place two on your main tanks, two on you, and a fifth that rotates. Have that fifth healer focus on you when the adds are up, and the main tanks after the adds are killed.
Atlas

Postby Dehn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:07 am

Great thread...

We finally went for Hydross last night, as the final boss pre vasjh/kael.. I was tanking all adds with gear similar to this.

Worked great!
Dehn

Postby Lorath » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:25 am

Thanks for a good thread :)

I tank all 4 adds both phases and have about 483 defense plus a little resilience from S2 mace to reach uncrittable, with a hunter in party I have about 250 resistance both schools. The WWS parses put me at above 50% damage resisted and no crits.

This feels like a solid compromise and yields fairly consistent damage, no crit spikes and easy management for the healers. I usually pop a Wizard Oil + Spellpower Flask for extra oomph and our troubles are pretty much gone on him. :)

It is possible to reach a fair bit of resistance and remain uncrittable. :)
Maybe I can sandbox the gear I use if anyone is interested.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:10 pm

Insightful, I just started on Hydross last night this should help me refine my strategy.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern