News Article on Online Trolling.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

News Article on Online Trolling.

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:56 pm

This one made me laugh.
Especially the last line in italics.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/anony ... 6080815072

I don't know Northwestern University where the study was done. A reliable/reputable source?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Re: News Article on Online Trolling.

Postby Digren » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Northwestern is a relatively large private university in Illinois. It's a member of the Big 10 conference and fields a Division I FBS team for (American) football, though they have only had brief bouts with success.

I'd consider the university a reliable source, though any given school that offers tenure can always have professors whose research is questionable.
Digren

Postby Badenhawk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Unfortunately the reputation of the news service publishing this story is somewhat questionable, if the Daily Telegraph or, in your case Poobaa, the Courier Mail are anything to go by.

What's really entertaining is the trolling that's started in the blog posts in response to the article. As if to emphasise a point....

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers....
Badenhawk
Maintankadonor

Postby masterpoobaa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 am

Lol yeah.

As the saying goes "So you read that in the Courier Mail, or is it the truth?"
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Cogglamp » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:10 am

Northwestern, especially the Kellogg management school, is very well respected in the academia circles. Kellogg itself is a Top 5 B-school and is most generally known for marketing and the social side of business.
Cogglamp

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:23 am

So it states things we already know!

People who are trolls truly are douches down to the core..

While people who are helpful actually are nice people...

Seems simple enough for me..
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby benebarba » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 am

I'm a scientist at Northwestern, in the Materials Science Dept, and went there for grad school. It's a pretty big university just north of Chicago (though it has a campus in the city too), has strong programs (at various levels, mind) in Journalism, Business (the Kellogg School is probably the single best known school in the university - but not for research), Chemistry, Materials Science, Medicine and a few others. I forget the various rankings, but those are largely irrelevant anyway because it by no means indicates that *everything* done at the school is high quality work.

It's always good to be a bit skeptical of any research work, particularly when all you have to go on is some random newspaper article. If you can, try to find the original work - though those are usually held by journals that require costly subscriptions. But sometimes you get lucky.

let me see if I can dig up the original article or at least more details.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:03 am

Here's a bit longer article with a bit more context, detail and even the name of the forthcoming article:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/New ... ition.aspx
benebarba

Postby Aedh » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Shyrtandros wrote:So it states things we already know!

People who are trolls truly are douches down to the core..

While people who are helpful actually are nice people...

Seems simple enough for me..

Some of the best trolls I know are among the nicest people I know.
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh

Return to General