Hackers step it up a level

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Hackers step it up a level

Postby Orthien » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Just got this email in a few days ago to my often not checked WoW email account.
This is a big step up from the previous attempts I have received to try and make me click things.
The English is not that bad and if I was not an active player that knew 4.2 is Firelands I could of thought this was real at a glance.
Obviously on mouse over its not a link to Blizz and it was not sent from them ether but these guys are getting convincing.
Orthien

Re: Hackers step it up a level

Postby lythac » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Orthien wrote:The English is not that bad and if I was not an active player that knew 4.2 is Firelands I could of thought this was real at a glance.

It has been kicking around for several months, my brother came in and asked me about it a while back.

I always thought the e-mail in question was a legit offer when 4.1 was coming up (which is why it looks legit), then a scammer amended the link and resent.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:36 pm

I think it's rather odd that most phishing scams aren't smart enough to copy/paste actual Blizzard e-mails like this.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Delakar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:32 am

Anything that starts with a typo in the first word like that will not be from Blizzard. =)
Delakar

Postby Flex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 am

Delakar wrote:Anything that starts with a typo in the first word like that will not be from Blizzard. =)

Did you read some of the quest text and NPC world yells at Cata release?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:06 pm

PsiVen wrote:I think it's rather odd that most phishing scams aren't smart enough to copy/paste actual Blizzard e-mails like this.

I think it's rather odd that phishing attempts that do a great job otherwise still never seem to have anyone capable of checking for typos. Not even running a spellcheck apparently...
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Worldie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:10 pm

What I'm really worried for is, if they keep doing "unspelled" ones, it means people do actually click on them.

I always check links on emails anyway, so this kind didn't work either :P

Besides, REAL Blizzard emails either got your RL Name or your Account name (which is not same of Battle.net account). You should always discard those without it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby lythac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:45 am

Worldie wrote:Besides, REAL Blizzard emails either got your RL Name or your Account name (which is not same of Battle.net account). You should always discard those without it.

Hum, never knew that part.

Seems I still have the legit e-mail I recieved back in May (for an inactive US account).

Code: Select all
https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/account/claim-promotion.html?promoId=SEVEN_DAYS_PROMOTION

Seems the scammers only had to spell one word and they got it wrong...
lythac

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 am

I will admit - that is a very good attempt for account theft..

I am sure they are getting dozens if not hundreds of free accounts because of it.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby lythac » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:56 am

Just received a legit one for Firelands

Googling the image location I found a scam e-mail already made with "Players" instead of your name and a dodgy link.
lythac

Return to General