Anyone else not need an Authentcator this morning to log in?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Anyone else not need an Authentcator this morning to log

Postby Amirya » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Ok yes, I can agree with that.

I gave myself a headache with all the eyerolling I was doing.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Sabindeus wrote:"Please, no. I don't care if it "thinks" its me, could be my sister or my brother-in-law logging into my account. Then what?

Yea, I don't think so. Just because its the same location, won't necessarily mean its the same person if there are multiple people under one roof. I'd rather have it ask me every single time to log in the game.

Freaking lazy people" - random forum tards

This is why I don't go to the main forums, I'd be far far too tempted to troll them into admitting they gave their password to someone else, otherwise they'd have no need to worry at all.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Teranoid » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I gotta say, the discussion thread on the official forums for this topic just makes me mad.

I like the people who act like Blizz is doing away with the Authenticator period and want a refund. How people this stupid manage to function in society is beyond my comprehension.
Teranoid

Postby Passionario » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:21 am

The number of deceased people who owned an authenticator at the time of their death is greater than the number of people who owned a thermonuclear bomb when they died. Therefore, Blizzard Authenticators are MORE DEADLY THAN THERMONUCLEAR BOMBS.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Brekkie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:38 am

Teranoid wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I gotta say, the discussion thread on the official forums for this topic just makes me mad.

I like the people who act like Blizz is doing away with the Authenticator period and want a refund. How people this stupid manage to function in society is beyond my comprehension.

They CAN'T function in society. That's why they are World of Warcraft players.

ZING!
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby mavfin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
halabar wrote:First, it would be hard and impractical to try to spoof your IP address. However, if you are playing on an unprotected Wifi setup, or playing on a Uni or hotel or other large system with dynamic IPs, it would be a lot easier for a hacker with access to appear to be you, since the IP pool is shared.

One thing I didn't mention in my previous post is that I sincerely doubt they are basing this solely on IP address.

They're not. It tracks at least MAC address, if not other hardware/OS stuff. I can now log in to either of the computers that have WoW in my house, with either account, no authent, *but* the first time after the change for each required the code. Also, had a DSL reset yesterday, IP changed, asked for code, so any change will trigger it. I think it's fine, but then, I work in IT security, so I understand what's going on.

Also, all the people on the WoW forums wanting to keep their roommate out of the account, I only have this to say: That's what passwords are for. Don't share them.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Sabindeus » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:41 pm

mavfin wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
halabar wrote:First, it would be hard and impractical to try to spoof your IP address. However, if you are playing on an unprotected Wifi setup, or playing on a Uni or hotel or other large system with dynamic IPs, it would be a lot easier for a hacker with access to appear to be you, since the IP pool is shared.

One thing I didn't mention in my previous post is that I sincerely doubt they are basing this solely on IP address.

They're not. It tracks at least MAC address, if not other hardware/OS stuff. I can now log in to either of the computers that have WoW in my house, with either account, no authent, *but* the first time after the change for each required the code. Also, had a DSL reset yesterday, IP changed, asked for code, so any change will trigger it. I think it's fine, but then, I work in IT security, so I understand what's going on.

Also, all the people on the WoW forums wanting to keep their roommate out of the account, I only have this to say: That's what passwords are for. Don't share them.

yeah, srsly.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 pm

I'd probably prefer it be an option and if so, I'd have it ask me every time. Not because I'm concerned about security, but because I'm a creature of habit. If I need it to login, then having it is just part of my login process. If I don't need an authenticator for 90% of my logins, I'll get annoyed (and not have it at the ready) when I am prompted for it.

Also, I realize people who give out their passwords are misusing their authenticator, but some level pragmatism should apply.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 am

I'm rather perplexed by how this is working. I tested on 4 comps.

My Laptop (my primary machine) - Never needs an authenticator. Not on Wireless, Not Wired. Not running client from HD, or External HD. At least while connected to my home network. i will try a friends network this week and see (I think I will need the authenticator)

My wife's laptop. No Native WoW client, booting from External HD. Wired, wireless, doesn't matter. ALWAYS needs authenticator.

My Desktop. Wired / Wireless, never needs an authenticator for my sons account, but needs one for my account the first time I log in in a string of attempts.

My son's laptop. Never needs one for his (just like my laptop).

Weird results. Not sure if they mean much though.
Shoju

Postby katraya » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:46 am

Fridmarr wrote:I'd probably prefer it be an option and if so, I'd have it ask me every time. Not because I'm concerned about security, but because I'm a creature of habit. If I need it to login, then having it is just part of my login process. If I don't need an authenticator for 90% of my logins, I'll get annoyed (and not have it at the ready) when I am prompted for it.

I really like the idea of not having to do it every time but I agree that I will be annoyed when I do need it. Plus, now I am worried that I will lose it. :?
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 am

I'm still unlocking my (droid) phone by habit while clicking the "Play" button on the loader ...
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:38 pm

How people this stupid manage to function in society

I work in IT.
Welcome to my world.
Enjoy the pain.

"Where's the any key?"
"What's right click?"
Me: "Is it a PC or a MAC", "It says Sony!"
"I got a random email this morning that told me to click on a link, now my account has been blocked for sending spam. Why did you break it?!?!"
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Maverick13 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:39 am

masterpoobaa wrote:
How people this stupid manage to function in society

"Where's the any key?" "oh I'm sorry it appears its a PEBKAC problem" (problem exists between keyboard and chair)

"What's right click?"
Me: "Is it a PC or a MAC", "It says Sony!"
"I got a random email this morning that told me to click on a link, now my account has been blocked for sending spam. Why did you break it?!?!"

I'm Sorry that is an ID10(ten)T issue you will need to speak to your boss

there were a load more we used to use but those were the main two
Maverick13

Postby inthedrops » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I'm still unlocking my (droid) phone by habit while clicking the "Play" button on the loader ...
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:49 am

I find it quite inconsistent. I got only 1 laptop from and it occasionally asks for the authenticator. May be related due to the dynamic IP i suppose
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General