Visiting (sorta)northern England. LF sightseeing input.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Visiting (sorta)northern England. LF sightseeing input.

Postby amh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Shalom!

After years of almost-trips, I'm finally visiting the isle this summer, and I'm trying to add to the list of stuff to visit while I'm there. Would appreciate some input from, well, anyone who's got any. The base of operations will be York, UK. Car rental is optional. Castles are great.

Schedule:
- 8 hours in Dublin (Oslo -> Dublin -> wait for it! -> Leeds)
- 6.5 days in car-range of York
- Leeds -> Amsterdam -> Oslo

Stuff to do/see so far:
- Grab some Guinness in Dublin (close enough)
- York Minster
- <insert stuff here>
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Re: Visiting (sorta)northern England. LF sightseeing input.

Postby econ21 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:35 am

If you are interested in the real life counterparts of WoW's gear, I'd recommend a trip to Leeds Armory. It has a fantastic collection of arms and armor.

You could also check out York's Yorvik centre (Viking themed) and castle museum (some nice recreations of life in past times). There's a good railway museum if you are into that.

The northeast coast can be nice this time of year if you like the sea - Bridlington, Scarbrough, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby etc. If you rent a car, it might be worth driving along it for a while and stopping at any spots that catch your eye.
econ21

Postby melisandyr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:46 am

I can endorse Leeds Armoury, it's really good. Although the best bits of Leeds apart from that are definitely tucked away in the northern suburbs of the city, around Chapel Allerton.

For York, the Minster is great, it's worthwhile spending half a day there. Definitely do the tower (don't wear heels or bring anyone with any!), and the guided tour if you can of the Cathedral itself. If you're short on time the undercroft is the least spectacular of the three, but gives an amazing impression of the scale of the building.

The Jorvik has just been revamped. Buy tickets in advance for this, so you don't have to bother queueing - in high season you can be stood outside for an hour. Leave 2 hours for the museum itself.

The Castle museum is good fun too - that shows York through the ages, and was established by a farmer in the early 20th century who was concerned Yorkshire life was disappearing. It's at least 3 hours to do it justice.

Clifford's tower is all that remains of the norman and medieval fortress in the city - it's worth viewing and is opposite the castle. 1 hour for this.
Merchant Adventurer's Hall is a medieval guild hall that has some nice tours and views of York in the 17th and 18th century inside - allow about 2 hours for this, it's on Fossgate (York note here - streets are called Gates, and the gates to the city are called Bars).

Barley Hall is located down a snicket (another York term, snickleway or snicket is a side-alleyway or passage) off from Stonegate. It's a late medieval hall restored to its original condition, and is well worth an hour's tour.

York Museum is in the park off Museum St and has just been renovated. I haven't been in since the revision, but this museum tells the history of York, majoring on the roman and medieval period. Allow 2 to 3 hours for this. It's set in a nice park (but avoid bringing food in - there is a pigeon problem in the Museum Gardens).

The National Rail Museum is worth seeing - that's a good 3 hours to do it properly too - it's just outside the centre on Leeman's Road.

Finally York Art Gallery in St Leonard's Place is worth an hour or two, depending on the exhibitions around. They do have a good collection of storyboards from 19th century fairy tales on the top floor, but it's quite a small art gallery.

If you're interested in strolling around the city, the city walls have a trail that you can follow, and the majority of the walls are still standing (there was a small section guarded by water that has never been walled). There are also really nice walks to the north and south along the river ouse.
If you are interested in cycling, then Wellington Row has a bike restoration company that hires bikes for the afternoon, and has showers.

If you're around in the evening, then it's worth going on a Ghost Hunt, if only for the storytelling aspect.

Just outside York, Castle Howard is worth seeing. Robin Hood's Bay is nice too, but that's a bit of a further drive away (difficult on public transport). All of the Moors are really nice, and I'd definitely advocate driving to see Rievaulx Abbey from York, then tracking east to Pickering, then crossing the Moors to Whitby.

If you're interested in places to eat or stay in York, let me know, and I can give a list of recommendations.

http://www.whatsonyork.com/
http://www.ymtblog.org.uk/
melisandyr
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 am

Scotland ! There's castles all over the place !
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:24 am

culhag wrote:Scotland ! There's castles all over the place !

If your from the US it's hard to imagine but hopping into another country is only a few hours drive at the worse.

If your going to be in York already than Edinburgh Scotland is not very far, it was by far the BEST part of my 10 day trip (and we only spent 3 days there).

The castle is huge, the royal mile is amazing (kick ass armoury in front of the castle) and Arthur's Seat is a breath taking nature "hike / walk".

If your going to stay in the northern england area you can go to Alnwick Castle (It's the Harry Potter Castle).

If your into nature stuff right by Alnwick is "Sea Houses" which is like a fishing / boating comminuty and you can take a boat out to see Puffins, Seals, Gulls, Islands, Lighthouse and stuff..You can see a castle from the water (I believe it's Alnwick but it might be a different one).. it looks pretty intimidating if you consider the idea of storming it 'sword and board' style.

I skipped York due to wanting more time in Scotland but I hear it's pretty much a huge party city.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:48 am

Oh also, i don't think it's more than 1 hour drive down to Lincoln which has Lincoln Cathedral (place where they filmed Davinci Code)

and Lincoln Castle which is the only castle I got to see that you could take the ladders down into little castle barracks or w/e they where and climb up onto the actual walls and go way up into the "lookout" tower or w/e.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:44 am

Shyrtandros wrote:If your into nature stuff right by Alnwick is "Sea Houses" which is like a fishing / boating comminuty and you can take a boat out to see Puffins, Seals, Gulls, Islands, Lighthouse and stuff..You can see a castle from the water (I believe it's Alnwick but it might be a different one).. it looks pretty intimidating if you consider the idea of storming it 'sword and board' style.

Probably Bamburgh Castle, if you were taking a boat tour round the Farne Islands. I've been on one of those, hell of a lot of birds.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby melisandyr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:02 am

If you're thinking of going to Edinburgh in August, then book accommodation and travel in advance.
With the festival on, things can get very expensive, and even the budget hotels will be close to £150 a night.

If you book in advance, you can save yourself the hassle. I'd also advise getting the train if you aren't planning on stopping off between York and Edinburgh - I booked last week for August and paid £52 return for first class tickets. I think as a foreign visitor you could get even cheaper fares too.
melisandyr
Maintankadonor

Postby beornus » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:38 am

Recommend seeing Bara, even if he is not in Northern England

I should have kept quiet and thought a fool then to have typed and removed all doubt.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Excellent, thank you all. This'll get me started properly! :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:55 pm

beornus wrote:Recommend seeing Bara, even if he is not in Northern England

Bara can be anywhere to meet Amh. Apart from the 15th -19th August as Bara will be at the Fringe Festival :).

Amh get in touch!

Oh, if you like wargames of any type, you really should consider Warhammer World in Nottingham, it blew me away. Especially as you can go in Bugmans Brewery and get a pint of Spittledung XXXX!
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby amh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:34 pm

28th of June till 5th of July, Bara, so anything in between there is golden. :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:01 am

amh wrote:28th of June till 5th of July, Bara, so anything in between there is golden. :)

Just tell me the most southernly point you will be at and what day and I will try to get to you :).

Sat 2nd is looking favourite?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Return to General