[10] Heroic Maloriak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Heroic Maloriak

Postby Chicken » Sun May 08, 2011 4:05 am

1. The black pools the adds spawn are spawned on top of people, so the more melee you have, the more black pools you'll end up getting on top of melee. Having said that I haven't seen issues with a group that frequently has 2 ranged DPS and 3 melee DPS in (If anything the higher amount of melee is more of an issue in the last 25% of the fight).
2. As long as you're primarily AoEing this shouldn't be a problem. Even with 3 stacks of the buff the aberrations will die to the AoE sooner than the vile swills do.
3. Basically AoE specs that can remain fairly mobile while AoEing are best for this fight; for warlocks/mages that typically means demo/fire respectively. That group looks like it should be very capable of killing them all though even without respecs.
4. Our tank actually insists on avoiding any slows whatsoever. You want to be able to move the adds out fast; AoE stuns when they're not surrounded by any black pools are great though, they don't spawn any black pools when stunned. Having a predesignated route for moving the adds is helpful as well, that way your ranged can avoid standing in that route, meaning that the tank always knows what way to move to have a 'clean' zone.

Additionally, for the melee and hunters it's probably worth marking one of the vile swill adds as an initial focus target. That's the one they'll be auto-attacking/shooting, and will die sooner because of that. That means less black pools to deal with overall.
Chicken

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:35 am

So I'm assuming you just use SoL that way your SoV doesn't break the ring of frost?
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Fri May 13, 2011 11:04 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:So I'm assuming you just use SoL that way your SoV doesn't break the ring of frost?

You don't have to worry about Seal of Truth breaking the ring. I don't know the precise rules for Ring of Frost, but the DoT isn't enough to break it (remember the DoT is massively reduced because of their buff).
Kihra

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:43 am

Although we didn't ACTUALLY beat him last night, we plan on returning tonight, and will probably get him for our 4th Hardmode, yay :)

After the first pull I checked the healing meters and was like wtf? our numbers were REALLY low, and I had a 432 crit DL instead of 43k crit. After that it was a small adjustment to not heal the boss tank during black phase breath but spam in between, and use hand of Sac if I got behind. We were actually a little ahead of the timer and had to back off on the boss to avoid pushing him before the second green vial. We got to phase2 twice in like ~1.5 hours or something for our first time facing him. The first time, we didn't finish enough little adds and it caused a problem when the green vial faded, the next time we again weren't quite ready and it appeared the bosses flame cast killed a couple ppl. But it does feel like we are close to a kill.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Nevarien » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Hey all,

Anyone else had issues with Prime Subjects changing target once they have fixated on you? The last two weeks this has been happening when it hasnt happened in the past.
Nevarien

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 am

only when I am stupid enough to move them close to somebody else, or when somebody else runs into me :)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Nevarien » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:43 am

Week before last they were fixated on me and then both dropped off me and ran to a healer. This week one dropped and ran for a pet, killed it and then came back to me. All happened once they were fixated and both times i was at the very back of the room only just in range of heals.

Weird
Nevarien

Postby Chicken » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:35 am

There's little rhyme or reason to their fixates from what I've seen, they do seem to prefer closer targets but I've seen them randomly decide to focus on someone else as well. There might very well be some mechanic that controls it exactly, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is.
Chicken

Postby Aerron » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:16 am

I've had this happen to me a couple of times, and I think it *might* be a time thing. Usually I pick them up, move them off to one side, and then ignore them mostly and try to help with Maloriak by hitting him with my AS, HoW, Judgment, etc etc. I'm also trying to help with healing myself and others. I figure since the Primes aren't going to die, any dps time spent on them is a waste of mana/CDs.

I've noticed if dps is sort of slow in getting Maloriak down, after a bit the Primes will do their Fixate cycle again. If I'm quick enough as they're running off, I can hit them with something and get them to come back. Haven't had anyone die from this yet.

I could be way off base on that, and haven't had it happen often enough to really test it, but that's my experience so far.
Aerron

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:37 pm

As long as I pick up the Primes immediately and stay 20yd+ away from everyone else, I've never had them fixate randomly. We've had a few times where they would just pick someone to lock onto and kill, but that only happened when I was sloppy and ran straight through people.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:33 am

Last week we were only getting H-Maloriak to 10% and switched to normal to get a Nef kill in for the head token. during the normal kill I happened to be standing near the add tank healing him, and I saw that the adds were ALREADY 'fixated' on the tank, when they jumped off. It almost caused an issue, but we outgear the normal mode enough we still got him, although it was wierd. I do not remember seeing this either on my tank or healer in previous weeks.

Tonight the plan is to focus on H-Maloriak, so hopefully we will get him for our 4th hardmode, finally. Last night though, both H-chim and H-atra dropped the same stuff from last week, so I think we woulnd up de-ing like 3 pieces :(

On the other hand, H-halfus we've done enough that there are only a few pieces we need to drop, but we did get lucky there at least :)

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Damn Primes and their 'Fixate' are TOTALLY broken.

We did beat Maloriak (yay!) after a lot of heartache caused by 'fixated' primes raping ppl.

We wiped once at 27,995 health, like 0.08% because the damn Primes raped half the damn raid after the boss got to about 10%. Even on the kill it was the same, Primes started raping ppl and it was ugly. If all we had we sub 5% wipes caused by broken 'fixate' I would have been pissed!

But 4/13 now, yay!

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby domipal » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:07 am

About to start this fight for our 5th heroic, and I was just wondering if glyphed Holy Wrath works to stun any of the adds in this fight? And will Maloriak cast a release aberrations before black phase every time? Or is it just RNG?
domipal

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:36 am

As far as I know it doesn't stun them.

you -can- get a Release Aberrations cast before the first black phase, you always will get one before the second black phase.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Belloc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:52 am

Hrobertgar wrote:Damn Primes and their 'Fixate' are TOTALLY broken.

We did beat Maloriak (yay!) after a lot of heartache caused by 'fixated' primes raping ppl.

We wiped once at 27,995 health, like 0.08% because the damn Primes raped half the damn raid after the boss got to about 10%. Even on the kill it was the same, Primes started raping ppl and it was ugly. If all we had we sub 5% wipes caused by broken 'fixate' I would have been pissed!

But 4/13 now, yay!

As far as I know, adds usually only fixate on people near them. If you never go near the adds, they should never fixate on you.

That said, even if they do fixate, you can toss the target a Hand of Protection, which will make them immune to the damage. You shouldn't do so immediately -- wait for the debuff to stack a bit, first.
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)