Visiting New York & Chicago - Where to go?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Visiting New York & Chicago - Where to go?

Postby Cogglamp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:10 am

Sabindeus wrote:Well since you put it that way, there's a place I really like in Union Square called Republic. They do like thai/vietnamese noodles. It's delicious stuff. http://www.thinknoodles.com/

F'in love that place. Shake Shack is delicious too.

@ OP

Just post what kind of food you like and Sabin and I will take care of you.
Cogglamp

Postby seregul » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:17 am

exiledknight wrote:Maxwell street-dogs and sausage
Lou Malnatti's- IMO the best chicago pizza

Stuffed or thin? I'd say Father and Son for thin and Nancy's for stuffed. It's all really good though. I have a Chicago's right around the corner so I usually stick with that. Pretty tasty, and they're open til 5 a.m.

If you're after a Maxwell polish avoid all imitators, the best place is Jim's Original, it's a half block north of Maxwell along the west frontage road of I-90/94. Do not eat them in a confined space. The only time I didn't eat it on the spot and drove with it to another location, I kept it in the trunk.
Deviate by all means in name,
cuz we all crawl in quicksand the same.
seregul

Postby benebarba » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:53 pm

I'll second the Lou Malnatti's recommendation.

For a Chicago style hotdog, hit up any random street vendor... gets ya that 'authentic' feel (and really, they're about the same in my experience). Alternatively, hit up Chopper's near Ashland and North Ave for an awesome shake and pretty good fast food (burgers, hot dogs, polish, etc.) for a good price.

If food + beer is your thing, The Hopleaf on Clark and Foster or Revolution Brew Pub on Milwaukee just south of Fullerton (IIRC). Hopleaf has a lot of imports, particularly belgian style. Rev is a small brew pub that also has some other beers and makes a mean bacon popcorn.

For sights, depends on your tastes. We have museums and theatres, but they probably aren't quite as big or diverse as those in NYC. There are some local-history museums that are pretty neat (The Chicago Cultural Center is neat, and is in a cool building while also being free) and the Art Institute Museum has a rather broad collection. Navy Pier is the big tourist trap, and is actually kinda fun, along with the magnificent mile (mostly shopping, some dining). There are some conservatories that are pretty cool (Lincoln Park and Garfield Park Conservatories), but I recommend folks try to get out of the 'Loop' (downtown) and into some of the different neighborhoods since it gives a very different feel to the city. There's a Chinatown on the southside, Wrigley Field (old baseball stadium) on the northside. Greektown on the south-west of the Loop (Artopolis is a nice cafe there), with Little Italy a bit further out IIRC.

Downside is public transit can get wonky because of the layout of the trains though there are tons of buses - but then scheduling can become a hassle. Driving can be tricky because parking in some neighborhoods is terrible or expensive (particularly the ones near the lake like Lincoln Park)
benebarba

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Alternatively, for a New York style hotdog, hit up a Gray's Papaya (or knock-off brand) or any of the street carts. Make sure to get it with sauerkraut and onions in sauce. And mustard. <_<
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm

sauerkraut is of the devil
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Alternatively, for a New York style hotdog, hit up a Gray's Papaya (or knock-off brand) or any of the street carts. Make sure to get it with sauerkraut and onions in sauce. And mustard. <_<

Is that what is on a NY style dog? I've never had one.
benebarba

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Flex wrote:sauerkraut is of the devil

your face is of the devil
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Sabindeus wrote:

And much more appealing than sauerkraut.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

benebarba wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Alternatively, for a New York style hotdog, hit up a Gray's Papaya (or knock-off brand) or any of the street carts. Make sure to get it with sauerkraut and onions in sauce. And mustard. <_<

typical NY hot dogs contain any of the following toppings:
ketchup
mustard
relish
sauerkraut
onions in sauce

I just listed the ones I usually get
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Flex wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

And much more appealing than sauerkraut.

your mom's more appealing than sauerkraut.
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:38 pm

I don't know about that. She enjoys that stuff.

Do you like pickled eggs too?
Flex

Postby cerwillis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:43 pm

benebarba wrote:

According to this he gets it about right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog_variations

/brb readin' about hotdogs.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:11 pm

cerwillis wrote:
benebarba wrote:

According to this he gets it about right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog_variations

/brb readin' about hotdogs.

See I was just listing what, IMO, goes on a hotdog. I didn't even realize there were variations, nor did I realize that pretty much exactly what I just said would be declared the "New York style" on a wikipedia page. :O I am truly a product of my environment.
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Man now i want to go hit a gray's papaya for a recession special.
Sabindeus

Postby sahiel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Awesome response guys, thank you all so very much! I'm sure it will improve her trip no end to actually have an idea of where to go and you came up with some really great sounding places to go/things to do, so again, many thanks :)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General