Remove Advertisements

Chimaeron

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Chimaeron

Postby Belloc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 am

Gawron wrote:Several attempts now, we have seen massacre and the system shutdown of Finkle, happening around the same time. Generally this results in a lot of deaths. This seems to happen after the second feud. At first we were pulling the boss prior to the cooldown timer finkle has just after activation but prior to the boss waking up on his own. Thinking that we were pulling him sooner than we should, we are now waiting for the timer to finish and the boss to aggro on his own. Either way, we seem to be getting that wipe situation described above.

Any suggestions on how we can better prevent this? Everything else seems to be fine. We are using the two tank, double strike taunt strat and healers have learned that "sweet spot" for not letting people die. Disheartening to see the fight going so well then ridiculous RNG happening.

It sounds like you're just dying to regular fight mechanics. Aside from the massacre that happens as soon as the bot is back online, you should be expecting another feud at every massacre. If you don't get one, you're lucky. Either way, you've got 15 seconds to heal everyone up enough to survive after a massacre.

Waiting for Chimaeron to wake up is a waste of time. Don't worry about that.
Belloc

Postby Arianne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Massacre is what causes Finkle's bot to go offline. That massacre shouldn't be killing anyone unless they have something like Hand of Sacrifice up. If the Massacre is killing them then they got hit by a Caustic Slime right before the Massacre and didn't get healed up fast enough (which means that your healers are not organized well enough or not playing well enough). If you post a WoL then I'll try to go through it to show you.
Arianne

Postby Shathus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:03 am

Just adding a few things from our first kill last night that may or may not help others out since I'm not an 'expert' :roll:

Remember to hit Holy Radiance during feud, extra healing is always good. I went with double avoidance trinkets mostly for the 2nd phase to hope the RNG favored me with some dodge/parries to extend the encounter. As long as I was topped off, the extra mastery wasn't really going to make or break me as I had plenty of health.

Again to help your healers out, consider bubbling at the end of a feud (sometime after the first caustic slime hits). Depending on when you use it, you'll either be immune to the last 2 slimes, or the last slime and the massacre keeping your health high and ready for the next Double Strike.

Save Ardent Defender for p2. The save and heal from that will put you back up over 10k which will buy you more time to live (at least 2 hits depending on an avoidance streak). I'd imagine Guardian Spirit would do the same.

Tell classes with self-damaging attacks to be careful. Our first pulls last week resulted in our DK killing herself a number of times with Unholy Frenzy before I figured out what was going on. :lol:

I'll have to try having our ret pally tank as ret sometime, though he is one of the top DPS so don't know that I'd want him to die first in p2 either heh
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby frontallobe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 am

Remember to use your Divine Guardian (20% raid reduced damage) during every other feud while a healer burns their raid saving cooldown (see disc big bubble) on the others. Every pally including you should be using Radiance to help out. I make sure i put a symbol flare on the ground close enough to the boss so melee can hit him during fued. This helps DK tank top himself and I use it to build WOG power to top off low people.

On our first kills I was also making sure anyone under 30% before a spit was popping their stuff properly. Yelling ice block seems to help single minded pew pew nubs take care of themselves a bit more.

Enjoy!
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Shathus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Our strat for this has been 1 healer on the tanks, and then a healer in each group (10 man). Each healer is responsible for their group when massacre/caustic slime hits. The main issue we have with the fight seems to be when 2 people in the same group get slimed and the healers have to chose whom to heal first.

My original plan was that since DBM puts a Skull and X on the 2 targets, we could assign a healer to each target. But I think we determined the healers' UIs don't show raid icons. They're also in different order due to add-ons (i think Grid is alphabetical?).

Just wondering how other groups accomplish this to avoid wasted healing/someone dying due to miscommunication
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Healers using raid frames that organize players in different ways are always going to cause trouble. If they can't set their frames to organize the same way, then they should be open to trying new raid frames. If that's not possible, they need to look into ways to get their frames to display raid markers. Or, they need to have an optional set of frames (grid, for instance) that they use on encounters like this one.

If your healers aren't willing to do any of these, then you're pretty much screwed.
Belloc

Postby Chicken » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Our healers all use Grid and have it set to the same sorting. The way they agreed on handling it is that one of them start at the bottom of the list and works his way upwards, while the other starts at the top and works his way downwards. That first sentence is the important part mostly; as long as the raid frames look the same for both your raid healers, there's a lot of different agreements that work.
Chicken

Postby xstrykr » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Shathus wrote:Just wondering how other groups accomplish this to avoid wasted healing/someone dying due to miscommunication

Given my raid's healing corps (holy paladin, holy priest, resto shaman), it's pretty straight forward: Holy Pally heals the tanks, Holy Priest takes care of the slimed targets, and Resto Shaman deals w/ the rest of the raid. The priest's healing is good enough that Heal + HW:Serenity is enough to take care of both slimed targets, and if he happens to be one of the targets, Binding Heal works wonders. Plus, in the time it takes him to get two PoH's off, with his mastery + GoPoH, everyone's roughly at 30k HP by the time the Massacre hits during the Feuds.
xstrykr

Postby sherck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:12 am

Shathus wrote:Our strat for this has been 1 healer on the tanks, and then a healer in each group (10 man). Each healer is responsible for their group when massacre/caustic slime hits. The main issue we have with the fight seems to be when 2 people in the same group get slimed and the healers have to chose whom to heal first.

My original plan was that since DBM puts a Skull and X on the 2 targets, we could assign a healer to each target. But I think we determined the healers' UIs don't show raid icons. They're also in different order due to add-ons (i think Grid is alphabetical?).

Just wondering how other groups accomplish this to avoid wasted healing/someone dying due to miscommunication

I have only killed him once 2 weeks ago (hope for a 2nd kill tonight) but our healing comp was Holy Paladin, Resto Druid, Resto Shaman). Each of the other healers had killed him previously; I was the only virgin healer.

The way I solved it is that I turned my healbot to show my group only (which included the MT). I put the Beacon on the MT and then only healed with Holy Shock, 3x WoG and Flash of Light. My Beacon was typically enough to keep the MT above 10k (had to HS or WoG once or twice when no one from my group was damaged) and then FoL on anyone hit by the slimes or after a Massacre.

I was fast enough that even if 3 people in my group were hit with slimes, I could HS, FoL, FoL faste enough to get everyone up before a possible Massacre. After a Massacre, it was still easy to get everyone over 10k.

I had to learn to wait to cast HR during a feud because everyone blew their heals early and then we had nothing else going on for the last part of the feud. Pop Avenging Wrath for one and Divine Favor for the next one for HPS boost and they were then available for every feud after.

The Resto Druid was on double-strike tank duty while the Resto Shaman was on the other raid group. I don't know for sure what his strat was but his healing on the kill was HEAVILY leaning on Healing Surge. I know on Feud he popped Healing Rain and then chain-cast Chain Lightning.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Shathus » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:44 am

Last week we finally had all 3 of our normal healers there for the fight (prior two weeks had been using our off-spec healer due to RL stuff).

Had our druid on the tanks, shaman on one group, priest on the other and had the group healers get the appropriate add-on.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... icons.aspx will add raid icons to the default blizzard frames
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... icons.aspx will add raid icons to Grid

Since DBM puts a Skull and X on the slime targets, just had the priest heal skull, shaman heal X. As long as we stayed spread out, there was no confusion and we had an easy 1-shot.

Also had our ret throw on RF and be the 'main' tank and our bear go boomkin for extra DPS which worked out nicely.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Kraziness » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:25 am

My guild recorded our first ever Chimaeron kill last night YEA, finally. We used the tank method of the OT taunting the Double Strikes, while on my DK tanked all the rest of the fight. I went into my DPS spec(frost) for the fight and in my dps gear with Blood Precense on and the fight went way better than our previous attempts. Right before the last phase I got the hell out of the bosses way with the rocket boots, and our pally tank was able to tank him for a good 5-7 seconds before getting his face smashed in. We killed him with 5 people still up. I imagine as we progress furthur we'll have more standing at the end of the fight, due to better gear. One thing that really helped me a ton while MTing Chimaeron was setting up my mod Need to Know, to track when Chimaeron gets the Double Strike buff, I could then see exactly when it fell off and there was no question when to taunt the boss back.
Dell can go F themsleves in the A
Kraziness

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 pm

You could also just look at Chimaeron's buff bar. He gets an alligator mouth buff icon when Doubletrike procs, and it goes away once its used. 4 sec swing timer gives you a small amount of slop as far as taunt timing.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby econ21 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:27 pm

I had my first experience at this last night - we only had time for a couple of attempts before the raid had to go to bed, but I was left confused on one point.

If you are the OT and taunt for the double attack, do you need to be at full health or just over 10k? From my reading, I thought the point was to have a full health OT taunting before double attack but my raid assured me I was wrong - I (the OT) only needed 10k+ health. I did not understand this - I thought the point of double attack was that the first hit could get you below 10k and then the second hit could come before you get healed. Can someone explain it very simply to me please?

[This is on 10 man normal.]

That aside, the fight seemed a little more frenetic than normal tank swap fights, but maybe I will get used to it.
econ21

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:42 pm

You need to be above 120k life to even think about surviving the double strike. The two swings happen pretty much instantaneously, my MSBT often just condenses the two swings to a single line. If you are not above 10k life after the first swing of double strike, you will die. The healers have long enough to heal you up, 15 seconds is plenty of time. Tell them to top you off, they will need to for heroic mode so they might as well learn how to now.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:54 pm

As the DS tank, I use Seal of Insight the entire time because the mana return allows me to cast two Divine Lights in between the Massacre and my turn to taunt. It's not massive healing, but it helps.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)