Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Horde Vs Alliance... Alliance Vs Horde... does it really matter?

I think we can ALL agree that Gnomes are weird, and sound really funny when they die. And I'm on the Alliance side!

Its a shame they never allowed the Gnome Hunter class. I would play one and just sit there and press FD all day long :twisted:
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby RedAces » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:31 pm

I really like my gnome warrior ... during ICC times I tanked for our 2nd 10m grp and I was the living cannonball ... 2 charges + rocket boots ... I never stood still and all the healers were like "wheres this fast little thing that I'm supposed to heal?!?!"
And now I'm the fury warrior with the manliest name ever - Ronarr (with 3 arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)! Always on the right behind the left foot of the mob, always interrupting (yay for 5% Damage increase on rupting!) and nearly always #1 in Deaths AND dps!!
I really like my gnome warrior...!
RedAces

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:55 pm

You sound like a lock i once knew.
#1 dps, and #1 in avoidable deaths through massive overaggro'ing on trash pulls in ICC.
It became a running guild joke:
"What, Alex DIDN'T die on trash before Marrowgar? Whats wrong mate?!?!"
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Amirya » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:You sound like a lock i once knew.
#1 dps, and #1 in avoidable deaths through massive overaggro'ing on trash pulls in ICC.
It became a running guild joke:
"What, Alex DIDN'T die on trash before Marrowgar? Whats wrong mate?!?!"

Your lock sounds like mine, Geoff.

It's not a real run until he dies.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 pm

He was pretty much the reason why I installed Tidy Plates - Threat Plates. :D
masterpoobaa

Postby RedAces » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:00 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:"What, Alex DIDN'T die on trash before Marrowgar? Whats wrong mate?!?!"

yeah... they sacrifice gnoms for better loot ... But it doesn't work I tell you!!!

During Ulduar we had a mage that did the craziest stuff (and always died b/c of that) and we had no first kill without him dead to stupid things... there were times we accidently killed him in order to hope for a better try :D
Fun times!
RedAces

Postby Hokahey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 pm

fafhrd wrote:The fuck...

I kill gnomes because I like the sound they make as they die, that's about it. You people are crazy.

The Goblin death is so much more entertaining. I had friend roll a Goblin Hunter just so she could Feign Death to see and hear it more often.

sahiel wrote:
Brekkie wrote:The horde were active pawns of the Burning Legion in the very recent past. Their entire plot line is about redemption from being the agents of the destruction of the entire world. There is no way whatsoever you can ever portray the horde as "just as good as" the alliance. I've played both, so I have no bias, but claiming otherwise is extremely selective revisionist history.

Orcs != The Horde.

An orc may run the Horde but claiming every single part of a multiracial, multifactional group to be at fault for the actions of a single part of that group, from before they joined is just as ridiculous. Otherwise we can label the entire Alliance as genocidal murderers intent on the ending of all life. After all, Arthas and the Scourge were human...

If being mind controlled (Arthas) by the Burning Legion (Ner'zhul) and forced/tricked into unleashing wholesale slaughter and devastation upon the world doesn't count for the Alliance. Then being mind controlled (Hellscream) by the Burning Legion (Mannoroth) and forced/tricked into unleashing wholesale slaughter and devastation upon the world doesn't count for the Horde.

...and how does the Alliance regard Arthas? How does the Horde in general feel about Hellscream? Lets keep in mind that, in the lore, Hellscream was violent and bloodthirsty *without* being mind controlled, and willingly offered himself and his people up to said mind control *twice*.
Hokahey

Postby Passionario » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:22 am

Brekkie wrote:Moral relativism is an intrinsically short-sighted, illogical position.

Oh, I'm all in favor of universal moral absolutes.

It's just that one of said absolutes happens to be "genocide is a bad, BAD thing". Yes, even if the subjects of said genocide are already undead.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby theckhd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:19 am

Not really a guild rule, but more of a custom - the raiders in my old guild used to delight in dropping a mole machine on top of fish feasts, soulwells, or any important interact-able object during raids in Wrath. It used to drive me up a wall (which, of course, just made them do it more).

At one point I made a ThatJustHappened rule to detect who put it down and say in /raid "<Player> opened a portal to hell."

That really didn't deter them either. But at least it made me chuckle.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Darielle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:13 am

If being mind controlled (Arthas) by the Burning Legion (Ner'zhul) and forced/tricked into unleashing wholesale slaughter and devastation upon the world doesn't count for the Alliance. Then being mind controlled (Hellscream) by the Burning Legion (Mannoroth) and forced/tricked into unleashing wholesale slaughter and devastation upon the world doesn't count for the Horde.

I don't think you can really compare the two.

Arthas did horrific things in the name of revenge. Burning Stratholme, the destruction of the ships back to Lordaeron and then blaming the Mercenaries, willingly accepting that his soul would be scarred if he took up Frostmourne as long as he got to kill Mal'ganis, then trying to take over the world and being stopped because we went up into ICC and beat him up.

vs.

The Orcs being tricked by a Shaman who was tricked by Kil'Jaeden pretending to be his wife's spirit and then blackmailed by his evil underling, invading Azeroth, Hellscream fighting to get his people freed while they were in Internment camps, killing Cenarius after refreshing his Blood Curse, being freed by Thrall+Jaina, going off and dying in the act of killing Mannoroth freeing the Orcs from the effects of drinking Mannoroth's blood.

Not that the actions of one individual reflect the entire race to begin with, but yeah.
Darielle

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:37 am

Passionario wrote:
Brekkie wrote:Moral relativism is an intrinsically short-sighted, illogical position.

Oh, I'm all in favor of universal moral absolutes.

It's just that one of said absolutes happens to be "genocide is a bad, BAD thing". Yes, even if the subjects of said genocide are already undead.

But Zombies aren't people, so genocide wouldn't apply. Thus, killing them for what they are as opposed to their actions, just falls under the already countless things we already kill for what they are (meat, fruit, vegetables, viruses, bacteria, pests, bugs, etc), without much of a moral objection.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:39 am

Darielle wrote:

I don't think you can really compare the two.

Arthas did horrific things in the name of revenge. Burning Stratholme, the destruction of the ships back to Lordaeron and then blaming the Mercenaries, willingly accepting that his soul would be scarred if he took up Frostmourne as long as he got to kill Mal'ganis, then trying to take over the world and being stopped because we went up into ICC and beat him up.

vs.

The Orcs being tricked by a Shaman who was tricked by Kil'Jaeden pretending to be his wife's spirit and then blackmailed by his evil underling, invading Azeroth, Hellscream fighting to get his people freed while they were in Internment camps, killing Cenarius after refreshing his Blood Curse, being freed by Thrall+Jaina, going off and dying in the act of killing Mannoroth freeing the Orcs from the effects of drinking Mannoroth's blood.

Not that the actions of one individual reflect the entire race to begin with, but yeah.

On the whole, blaming the 'group' for the race, if you want to blame the horde for the orcs actions, then we need to start blaming the alliance for the idiocy involving the burning legion and the night elves, and azshara, and all that jazz. Or even Xavius and the satyr.
Shoju

Postby Aerron » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 am

Shoju wrote:On the whole, blaming the 'group' for the race, if you want to blame the horde for the orcs actions, then we need to start blaming the alliance for the idiocy involving the burning legion and the night elves, and azshara, and all that jazz. Or even Xavius and the satyr.

Waaaaiiiit ... doesn't the Horde have the Blood Elves on their side? Didn't all of the things you mention above happen BEFORE the racial split that divided them? Didn't the Blood Elves continue to embrace the power that caused all that, the power the Night Elves rejected as too dangerous (until Cata hit and fan service won the day?)

So it sounds like if we're playing "guilt by association" both factions are harboring dirty, dirty elves.
Aerron

Postby Flex » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:00 am

Aerron wrote:Waaaaiiiit ... doesn't the Horde have the Blood Elves on their side? Didn't all of the things you mention above happen BEFORE the racial split that divided them? Didn't the Blood Elves continue to embrace the power that caused all that, the power the Night Elves rejected as too dangerous (until Cata hit and fan service won the day?)

So it sounds like if we're playing "guilt by association" both factions are harboring dirty, dirty elves.

Night Elves: Elves that rejected the path of causation.
Blood Elves: Elves that didn't.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Passionario » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 am

Fridmarr wrote:But Zombies aren't people, so genocide wouldn't apply.

Forsaken are people, so it would.

(Some would argue that even the mindless Scourge minions used to be people at one point, and with luck and skill, may be reawakened to sentience once again. So killing them for sport is akin to committing mass euthanasia; not necessarily a crime, but a morally controversial act regardless)
Last edited by Passionario on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

PreviousNext

Return to General