Remove Advertisements

New tanking class ideas

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

New tanking class ideas

Postby bldavis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 am

im not sure if this should go here or where but...

anyway, reading an article on Wowinsider got me thinking, what if Blizz introduced a new tanking class in the next xpack?

the way i see it the only problem that they are facing with any new tanking class is how to make it unique
i mean if you look at the current tanking classes
Warriors - prototypical strap on a shield, get pissed and beat the crap out of everyone class
Paladins - see warriors, but the have the power of the light behind them
Druids - protectors of nature, and emphisizing the wrath of nature and fury by becoming the most powerful beast in the forest - a bear
Death Knights - former Lt. of the LK, sent to die, now broken free from his control and using shadow and frost magic to deal damage, steal life, and mitigate damage done.

as far as weapon choices, you have
Sword and Board - Pallies and warriors
2hd Str - DKs (and all plate dps)
2hd Agil mace, staff, and polearms - Feral druids of both specs, and minus mace - hunters

so you would first have to figure out what weapon type they would use...
there is some room for 2hd agil weapons, but only if there was a way to make them less desireable to hunters for stat sticks.
since there are pure tank weapons in Str 1hds, why not make pure tank weapons out of 2hd agil weapons, and then you would have just a few specs that use them for dps (DW Frost DKs, SMF warriors for 1hd str, and kittie druids for 2hd agil)

the other thing that would have to be figured out is what kind of resource they would need.
Paladins use HoPo and mana
Warriors and Bears use Rage
DKs use Runes and RP

also would the new class be a dps/tank/heal class like a paladin or a druid?
or a dps/dps/tank class like a Warrior or DK?
or something completely new and have it be tank/heals or pure tank? (oh wiat i forgot ppl want faceroll dps classes and cant handle a class that cant just mindlessly dps...nm)

what are your thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: New tanking class ideas

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 am

bldavis wrote:im not sure if this should go here or where but...

anyway, reading an article on Wowinsider got me thinking, what if Blizz introduced a new tanking class in the next xpack?

The big question is "Why?"

WotLK taught us that introducing one new class has a host of headaches and was their first effort and bringing in a "tanking as you like it" design that resulted in a bunch of oddities and imbalances. Blizzard's design goal is to not have niches or a general "best for." So while we may all want an awesome magic tank, an awesome AoE tank and an awesome single target tank hero class it wont be happening.

There's already a varied host of play style within the existing classes and balance is fairly well done that the need to introduce a new class isn't there.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby sherck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 am

Well, duh, the obvious answer is to have a cloth wearing, Spell Power wielding Discipline Priest become the new tanking class.

Shields galore, Holy Nova and Pennance. New taunts. Yeah, that't the ticket! :D

Honestly, I don't want them to introduce a new tanking class because people rarely know how to play their old tanking classes when I am not with a guild tank.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby bldavis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 am

im not saying i want them to either, but if they follow the path they have laid out
BC- 2 new races (Belf and Dranei)
Wrath - Hero Class (DK)
Cata - 2 new races (Worgen and Goblin)
Next Xpak - new hero class?

i would prefer just new conent...now new classes or races

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Aerron » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:47 am

Actually, I think a better idea would be to follow the cues of newer games, like RIFT or what we're hearing out of SWTOR: divorce the idea of "roles" from "classes" and instead spread the roles around.

EG, Rogues have 3 DPS specs. Why? One at any given time is considered inferior and untouchable to the other two.

Why not turn one of the Rogue dps specs into an evasion based tanking spec? How about making Frost a pet based tanking spec for Mages? Or Beast Mastery a similar tanking spec for Hunters? Make the Voidwalker a viable tank. Finally do the deed with Enhance shaman instead of flirting around with it for 6 years.

Similarly, Dragon Age, Rift and other games have introduced us to healing Mages. Why not spread that role around a bit too? Combat Medic Warriors?

In a hypothetical situation wherein someone presented me with the option of a whole new class to balance and itemize, etc, or just spreading roles around, I'd go in for the latter everytime.
Aerron

Postby Dantriges » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:00 am

Well, they probably won´t introduce a new class. We have 30 specs already and some of them are not so viable at the moment. And it´s a god question if they introce another class capable of tanking. Unless every tree is a tanking tree, they will be melee DPS in their other trees and somehow I´ve got the feeling that the space behind the boss is already filled with people. If you introduce more melee classes, there will probably quite a few more people playing melee unless every one switches from his melee main to another melee main, very unlikely.
Also more classes trying to get plate DPS armor.

If they introduce another class I could see them using caster leather or mail. There are only two specs using caster mail, two specs using caster leather.

Yeah and seems to me that changing the roles of other specs is more viable. They probably won´t do it, because people will complain that their favorite spec changes roles and they could be forced to play a rle they don´t want to. Well at least it would shut up the complaints from pure DPS classes that paladins and druids can tank and heal and dps (all at the same time).

I alwys regarded the lack of other roles on DPS classes as a boon. Your raid leader won´t come asking to respec and one of the specs is always pretty good. A shadow priest or ret paladin can evade a weakness in his talent tree by switching his spec without changing his role. If you want to be priest DPS and shadow priest is weak you can just shrug your shoulders and hope the issue gets fixed soon. Probably a rogue doesn´t like it when he has to chane from his favorite spec to one he doesn´t like, but at least, he has the option.
Dantriges

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:05 am

EG, Rogues have 3 DPS specs. Why? One at any given time is considered inferior and untouchable to the other two.

If you gave Subtlety rogues the abilities to tank raid bosses then the PvP balance is out of whack. As much as we may hate it in the short term Blizzard's never ending desire to balance the aspects of the game is something to be thankful for.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:10 am

well another one someone mentioned was a cleric
healer, and 2 dps specs..all ranged, and using int plate

if cleric was introduced, that would bring the number of plate specs to 12, and 4/12 (or 1/3) using int
there would be more demand for int plate, and thus less healadin qq-ing about no gear (but more about clerics ninjaing all thier lewtz lol)

and i agree with the no sub-rogue-tanks
sure i play prot in BGs but i do so taking a hit to my damage output
i do so because it gives me more survivability

you take an already pvp-prefered spec and make them a tank?
you will see nothing but disc priest, resto druids and sub rogues
the stealth of a rogue (and the spec that focuses on stealth at that) combined with the survivability of a tank? :shock:

if any rogue spec became tank, i think it should be combat....

bldavis

Postby Aerron » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:23 am

Flex wrote:

If you gave Subtlety rogues the abilities to tank raid bosses then the PvP balance is out of whack. As much as we may hate it in the short term Blizzard's never ending desire to balance the aspects of the game is something to be thankful for.

I dunno, I think you're taking one specific example and basing the rule off that. "Bad Cases make Bad Law" and all that.

Obviously you couldn't take the Specs as they are now, and just toss in a few abilities to make them tanks. It would require a pretty big overhaul.

But considering the overhauls Cata brought to a lot of classes, I don't think this would be out of the realm of the type of thing Blizz had done before.

Look at the overhauls to the DK trees. Blood hasn't always been the DK tanking tree, nor has 2her tanking always been the way to go.
Aerron

Postby Gerunna » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:24 am

Personally I think it's high time we had a tank that dual wields wands.
ImageImage
Gerunna

Postby bldavis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 am

Gerunna wrote:Personally I think it's high time we had a tank that dual wields wands.

BATTLE MAGE FTW!

bldavis

Postby Shoju » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:33 am

Personally, I think Demo Warlock and ENH Shaman should tank.

:o
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:35 am

Shoju wrote:Personally, I think Demo Warlock and ENH Shaman should tank.

:o

:shock:

i think i love you
my favorite shaman and lock specs....as my favorite role?
OH HELL YES!!!

bldavis

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 am

I play my Enhance Shaman when I don't feel like tanking...
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:47 am

I did a light bit o shaman tanking at 80 in heroics for lulz. RDF pugged DPS were confused why the tank was healing and the healer was tanking.
Shoju

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes