Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Arkesh wrote:The weirdest one I've come across in guilds I've been in has to be "No non-combat pets or avatar changing effects in raids". Supposedly these two were introduced in Vanilla because healers ended up clicking on them instead of the players which i just find really strange in a world of raid frames - I didn't start playing until late tbc however. After a year of our melée using DBS I removed these in a cata revamp of the Charter.

Actually, I can kind of understand that one. When I heal, I'm used to looking at someone's portrait on my screen. Yes, I use Grid too, but it's very disorienting to think you're healing a Draenei and then all of a sudden see a Blood Elf. It's made me double check to see if I was healing the right person. Not overly detrimental in a 5man group, but if it were end game raiding and I had a split second indecision, it might've made a difference.

And regarding non-combat pets... My best example is that we were trying out a priest... on KT in Naxx 10. And I guess he was using mouseovers or something, but there was a totem right beside the iceblocked person. Well... let's just say that only the totem survived. haha (TBH, was more hilarious that anything else, but I can understand poor targetting with mouseovers.)

I had a case where someone turned me into a bat (or something) right as I was doing the pull. It was on a fight where positioning mattered, so I was watching the raid and did not notice that the skills I was trying to use were not working. I wasn't able to turn off the buff and get the boss back until after he'd eaten some of the raid. That was probably the most annoyed I've ever been with a guildie.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby fafhrd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 am

PsiVen wrote:After a dispute about what to call Valiona breath directions, I declared we would use the following standardized vent calls:

Fish = Breath is in the North
Goat = South
Bisecting = Middle

We also had terms for east/west for another boss, but I can't remember them anymore. For some reason, soon afterwards there was no longer any argument about using cardinal directions.

Man, we always get into arguments whenever a fight involves calling a side on vent, because some people see the zone with their entry orientation being a fixed origin (so prefer "left/right") while others keep the actual map orientation in mind (so prefer "east/west"). Personally my map has been on autorotate since the feature was added, so I generally have idea what any of the cardinal directions are without first looking at the map to figure out which directon I'm facing.

When we disagree too much we just start calling stuff like "breath to port!" or "all hands to starboard aye!".

Valionna is easy to agree though, just say Middle Safe or Middle Not safe. Regardless of where you are or how you think or how you got spun around in the Twilight Realm, you then know whether you can safely stand in the middle, or need to get to either side. This works fine on any fight where 2 zones are safe and one isn't. Others though where 2 zones are unsafe and 1 is safe you need to agree on an actual consistent frame of reference.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 am

benebarba wrote:
Thornir wrote:I was in a guild where placing a train during a raid at any time resulted in a /gkick at the very moment. It made sense in the fact that one of our regulars was an older lady, who would get such an earsplitting migraine that she couldn't continue.

wow. That seems a bit... extreme.

Dunno, seems fair to me. I hate those damn train sets! ;)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:32 am

One video for VnT used "Stairs, middle, hall" since that describes the actual layout of the room.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:52 am

fafhrd wrote:Valionna is easy to agree though, just say Middle Safe or Middle Not safe. Regardless of where you are or how you think or how you got spun around in the Twilight Realm, you then know whether you can safely stand in the middle, or need to get to either side. This works fine on any fight where 2 zones are safe and one isn't. Others though where 2 zones are unsafe and 1 is safe you need to agree on an actual consistent frame of reference.

Seems like a good solution provided you don't get a blackout right after with people scattered to the wind.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 am

Meloree wrote:In Edge, anyone who names that show on Fox with the kids who sing is instantly demoted to Last Mate.

My ex-guildmaster's main character's name was Glee. She named it before the show was conceived.
Kelaan

Postby Meloree » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:59 am

fafhrd wrote:
Man, we always get into arguments whenever a fight involves calling a side on vent, because some people see the zone with their entry orientation being a fixed origin (so prefer "left/right") while others keep the actual map orientation in mind (so prefer "east/west"). Personally my map has been on autorotate since the feature was added, so I generally have idea what any of the cardinal directions are without first looking at the map to figure out which directon I'm facing.

When we disagree too much we just start calling stuff like "breath to port!" or "all hands to starboard aye!".

Valionna is easy to agree though, just say Middle Safe or Middle Not safe. Regardless of where you are or how you think or how you got spun around in the Twilight Realm, you then know whether you can safely stand in the middle, or need to get to either side. This works fine on any fight where 2 zones are safe and one isn't. Others though where 2 zones are unsafe and 1 is safe you need to agree on an actual consistent frame of reference.

We use relative clock facings in most cases. Where we walk into the room is always 6 o'clock. Nef pillars are 10, 2, and 6. AC ranged positioning is done by clock position. Al'akir, similarly (south is 6, for convenience, because who knows where you're landing from).

Although on V+T it's "Door, Mid, Far". I think that's an artifact of Felmyst, though - the guy who started yelling about V+T breaths did them on Felmyst, too, and he used to call "Near, Mid, Far" on Felmyst. Just assuming people run the right direction on V+T if it's mid, though, is a bit crazy. I tend to call in advance where I'll be moving if it's mid, so ranged can go the other way, and melee can follow me. Keeps explosions away from the all-too-squishy melee pile.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:59 am

Kelaan wrote:
Meloree wrote:In Edge, anyone who names that show on Fox with the kids who sing is instantly demoted to Last Mate.

My ex-guildmaster's main character's name was Glee. She named it before the show was conceived.

Oh, god. One of my guildies is going to do this now. I hate you.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:01 am

benebarba wrote:
Thornir wrote:I was in a guild where placing a train during a raid at any time resulted in a /gkick at the very moment. It made sense in the fact that one of our regulars was an older lady, who would get such an earsplitting migraine that she couldn't continue.

Their own damn fault for using ingame sound.
Treck

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:02 am

Treck wrote:
benebarba wrote:

Now I remember the other reason I have sound off always...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 am

Treck wrote:
benebarba wrote:

Man every so often someone comes out against ingame sound and I really don't get it. I feel crippled when I try to play this game with sound off.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Shoju » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:31 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Man every so often someone comes out against ingame sound and I really don't get it. I feel crippled when I try to play this game with sound off.

100% agree.
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:36 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Treck wrote:Their own damn fault for using ingame sound.

For me, my hearing acuity (not sure if that's the right word) is not very good. Even when I have game sounds/music at a minimum in a raid, I have problems hearing my raiders well on Vent. I dislike removing the game sounds as I feel it kills about 50% of the atmosphere of fights, but I'd rather be able to hear my raiders.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 am

Malkieri wrote:My previous guild had a rule for officers that stated they should be sociable and friendly in gchat. This included having to respond to the hellos and goodbyes of other members logging in or out, as well as having to say hello when you (the officer) logged in and goodbye when you logged out. They were fairly strict on it too - there were officers who were demoted etc for not following this rule.

I always thought it was a really nice rule, although it did strike me odd that it had to be enforced via offical guild policy...

Forced politeness is just hypocrisy.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:50 am

halabar wrote:
fafhrd wrote:Valionna is easy to agree though, just say Middle Safe or Middle Not safe. Regardless of where you are or how you think or how you got spun around in the Twilight Realm, you then know whether you can safely stand in the middle, or need to get to either side. This works fine on any fight where 2 zones are safe and one isn't. Others though where 2 zones are unsafe and 1 is safe you need to agree on an actual consistent frame of reference.

Seems like a good solution provided you don't get a blackout right after with people scattered to the wind.

On 10H at least, just having the blacked-out person move to the tank where a healer is usually standing is enough to survive the blackout, the ranged dps/other healers never group up for blackouts/meteors. I think our 1-2 melee dps may stack on the tank during the blackouts too, not sure.

When the tank is at 4 stacks or whatever and about to be ported down, he calls it and people take the blackouts/meteors to the tail instead.

I think we managed to wipe in every conceivable way our first 2 weeks of killing it on heroic, but none related to seriously screwing up the breaths - mostly people taking something to the wrong place, or not collapsing at all, or twilight fails, or early heals on blackouts (holy pally famous for doing that).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

PreviousNext

Return to General