Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:34 pm

So I recently (aka yesterday) decided to make a proper hordie for the first time. She's, of course, a paladin blood elf (currently level 20). So I'm browsing the guild finder thingy (nifty) and come acros a level 12 guild who are looking for social members, ages 18+. I know so very little about the horde guilds on my server so I figure why not.

I submitted a request to join the guild in game and get an invite right away. The guy encourages me to check out the guild info tab.

So I do.

GUILD MOUNTS:
We currently want guild members to have a talbuk ground mount (any colour) and the cenarion hippogryph for flying mount. If you require assistance, please ask.

How hilariously random and bizarre.

So, what are the weirdest guild rules YOU'VE ever heard of?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Postby Vort » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:47 pm

The guild I'm trialling for doesn't like their members using general chat during raids. Whether you consider it weird or not is up to you. They're also kinda Achievement happy, they REALLY like doing Achievements. Which gets under my skin a bit, not gonna lie.

Them Talbuks are clearly serious business.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:49 pm

I've seen a fair amount of guilds that don't allow general chat in raids, and some that don't allow any kind of chat on vent even during trash and such. More shitty sounding than weird though.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Vort » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:07 pm

I've been in both the extreme elite hardcore and the softy casual guilds for raiding over the years. General Chat during raids is always handled differently I guess. Some of the extreme elitist guilds that I've been a part of almost encouraged the bragging and trolling in General Chat, some guilds don't care whatsoever, and some guilds (such as the one I'm trialling in now) dislike anyone using General Chat during raids. I'm personally somewhat indifferent to the whole deal, as long as you're not being offensive or trolling and just making silly jokes or actually communicating with other people raiding then I don't see the harm. This also assumes you have the ability to multi-task more effectively than a tub of glue.

Does it count if one of the guild rules was to make fun of certain rival guilds as much as possible? I've been in a few of those guilds before, rather amusing too.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby Hokahey » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 pm

I was once in a guild that explicitly required active socializing in Guild and on vent (people who only showed for raids/never socialized wouldn't be invited to them, and would likely be kicked), and abhored bad grammar (i.e. poor spelling/grammar on your application would virtually guarantee no invite; misspellings in guild/raid/party chat were routinely corrected). Among the best players I've ever had the luxury of playing with, too.
Hokahey

Postby fafhrd » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:40 pm

We never had a real rule against talking in /General during raids after Vanilla, but we didn't like it ever, because 90% of stuff said in it made the guild look bad. Having guildmembers getting into arguments in public with other guilds is not nice, whether they're guilds that we're competing with or guilds doing much worse than us. We are horrifically offensively politically incorrect in guild chat and with each other, but as soon as outsiders are involved it should be more or less "professional", silly as that sounds in a game.

I also generally turn it off because it's stupid most of the time - trade chat is better than our instance general has been in places like ICC or Sunwell. On some rare occasions it's something interesting, but 90% of the time I've looked it's some idiot spamming the same nonsensical phrase every 10s for 4 hours (I'm not exaggerating, there's a guy on our server who does exactly that, I have no idea why. He had an alt in our guild at one point and we promptly kicked the [offline] alt when we found out the main was the guy spamming general), or two people from different guilds having a heated and personal argument over whose mother sucks more dick because one of them just killed Festergut before the other with the 30% buff up.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Dantriges » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:27 am

In the guild I led, we frowned upon talking in general chat during raidtime, too. Other people in the guild chimed in and in general it is frowned upon on our server, resulting in bad reputation. And well most of general chat during raidtime is more or less from the bottom of a deep hole of stupidity.
Dantriges

Postby Gracerath » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 am

In the guilds I've been in (and helped lead) we always had a rule about using correct spelling and grammar if at all possible in every form of communication. We tolerated small things like the occasional "u" and "ur", etc, in guild chat, but if you used it on your application, it was an almost instant decline. If you use it a lot while typing in /gu, chances are we'd all goof on you. We had a few people trolling our recruitment threads complaining about it when they got declined because of using poor grammar and spelling in their application. We'd let it slip by if it at least looked like they were making an effort (english wasn't their native language or something).

Back in TBC, we had a rule where no one in the guild was supposed to respond to any sort of troll posts on the official forums. If they wanted to use an alt, we couldn't stop them but we didn't want the guild looking any worse for the wear if possible. When you are one of the guilds in the upper tiers of progression, the troll posts just seem to come from everywhere.

For some reason, this reminds me of a guild on my server back in Everquest. There was a family oriented guild with no swearing and what not allowed in their guild chat and they were like the 2nd most progressed guild on the server for a long, long time, close on the heels of the most progressed. They were genuinely nice people as well. It's interesting because most of the "uber guilds" back in those days were well known for being assholes. It was neat to see one stand out like that.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby yappo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:15 am

http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... heory.html

Read the last part about voice chat being forbidden during rated BG. Gotta love self nerfs.
yappo

Postby Arkesh » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:43 am

The weirdest one I've come across in guilds I've been in has to be "No non-combat pets or avatar changing effects in raids". Supposedly these two were introduced in Vanilla because healers ended up clicking on them instead of the players which i just find really strange in a world of raid frames - I didn't start playing until late tbc however. After a year of our melée using DBS I removed these in a cata revamp of the Charter.
Arkesh

Postby Shoju » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:30 am

While these aren't "written" rules (though I think with the recruiting we have been doing they are going to end up that way) of our guild we have several "odd" rules:

1.) No special characters in character names. This is a hold over rule from Vanilla I guess, but it REALLY irks several of the Old time Guild Members. I don't know if I agree with it, but it is there.
2.) No potentially offensive character / pet names. I agree with this one, and was actually one of the people who agreed that the guy who kept naming his alts vague sexual references, and his hunters Ape Obama was no longer a good fit for the guild.
3.) Keep the text speak, poor grammar, etc... to a minimum in Guild Chat. We aren't trying to run an guild that an English teacher would be proud of, but we aren't trying to look stupid either.
4.) No City crushing. We do not condone going to darkshire and bludgeoning it senseless or anything like that.
Shoju

Postby Ancil » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:41 am

Arkesh wrote:The weirdest one I've come across in guilds I've been in has to be "No non-combat pets or avatar changing effects in raids".

I have been in several guilds with this rule, though not for the reasons you stated. Some of us really love our Scorchlings and Willies, and other non combat pets that cause visual effects. Some people are raiding on very old, or very badly maintained computers that can't handle 10 to 25 of these things running around in addition to the fights themselves. I should note that every one of these guilds required your particle effects to be pushed up to one step below the max at least because some people can't tell they are taking damage from void zones and such.

As for weird rules I have seen.... I spent some time checking out RP servers and there have been some interesting ones such as:

Various rules about race/class/gender quotas that got as specific as "only seven female forsaken may be online at one time."

"All characters must not wear gear that has the colors of the other faction unless they are actively running an instance. Disallowed gear is as follows: (a list of incomprehensible length followed)." I particularly dislike this one because I liek wearing alliance gear on my hordies, it looks like I killed them and took their stuff. I don't get that feeling on Alliance toons though.

"All characters must be named in a fashion reminiscent of Tolkien's works"

I am sure there are more I could remember if I bothered but you get drift. I sometimes think I might like RP servers and then I find way too many people there with rules like these :P
Ancil

Postby sherck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:51 am

One of my first guilds was one called <Crimson> on Altar of Storms.

It was required to run with a vendor purchased [Crimson Snake] non-combat pet during raids and no other non-combat pet. All boss kill Screen Shots had to have everyone's snake in them.

Sort of a neat "flavor" rule of that guild.

I joined another guild later after a server switch that would wipe on the first trash pack of whatever instance they were running be it a 5-man, 10-man or 25-man. They said it got wiping "out of their blood."

Based on their success on later parts of the instances, I regret to inform you that they were wrong about that.

Sort of a not-so-neat "flavor" rule of that guild.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby benebarba » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:16 am

My guild started as a few friends deciding to get into the game to play with a couple that had been playing a while, on a server where one of us had their long time main (a rather well to do dwarven healadin). Our first toons were all bankrolled by her until we got ourselves established. Her favorite mount was a bear. Thus the fourth rule in our guild rules was born:

"Thou shalt respect the fairy Goddwarf; thou shalt be thankful of all her blessings and shan't complain at a lack thereof, or she will ride in on her mighty bear and smite thee."
benebarba

Postby Passionario » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:10 am

"No matter what your time zone is, if the <Guild Leader> is online, it's morning. If she's not, it's evening. No exceptions."
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Next

Return to General