Remove Advertisements

Questions for those that play Rift

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Questions for those that play Rift

Postby bldavis » Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 am

ill keep that in mind if...i mean when i play my gaurdian warrior again

and my brief overveiw was just from playing through the starting zones and a little beyond in the beta
but i do agree..the defiant starting chain is seriously bad ass

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 am

bldavis wrote:well get the trial and get a feel for the playstyle!
plus it helps wow burnout

I'm not suffering from WoW burnout.

I'm "suffering" from:
- 3 year old kid
- pregnant wife (due end of July)
- trying to sell our house
- trying to find/buy a house

... so I just don't get to play as much as I'd like. I still play a lot, just not at easily schedulable times. So, my play has been shifting towards trying to make money, and doing pvp whenever I can.
Kelaan

Postby Punkss2 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:59 am

So I am playing/leveling a cleric. Strictly going to PVP heal. I have a great spec already. What's the best way to become a proficient healer? I do alright already and for my level I do tend to dominate the healing "charts". I am just looking for tips to become an even better healer. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby bldavis » Thu May 26, 2011 2:09 am

i dont heal in rift, but from my wow healing...
the best thing is practice
learn the basics of your spec/class and keep doing the basics

over time you will learn tricks that help you get up the charts
if there is a better healer then you, ask them for advice!
i bet that they will help you out, unless they are a total ass (in which case you should try to get them on the other faction so you can watch them get creamed)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Holyblaze » Thu May 26, 2011 11:38 am

Kelaan wrote:
bldavis wrote:well get the trial and get a feel for the playstyle!
plus it helps wow burnout

I'm not suffering from WoW burnout.

I'm "suffering" from:
- 3 year old kid
- pregnant wife (due end of July)
- trying to sell our house
- trying to find/buy a house

... so I just don't get to play as much as I'd like. I still play a lot, just not at easily schedulable times. So, my play has been shifting towards trying to make money, and doing pvp whenever I can.

This. Same exact place I am. haha well..without a prego wife. 8)

Gold and PvP is my WoW life anymore!

Edit: GAH! Work interupted my train of thought! haha doh! I did the BETA for RIFT as most of my old guild were gonna dump WoW for it.

I enjoyed the Class/Talent system the most in RIFT. Now that I think about it..the rifts were fun to gank up on. I was in a PvP one and man..lotta fun!

All told though...no replacement for WoW! :shock:
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Kelaan » Thu May 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Why not?

Playing Aion, and later DDO, I was reminded CONSTANTLY of ("minor") things that I liked better about WoW, but I still can't put my finger on many of them.
Kelaan

Postby Cema » Fri May 27, 2011 12:56 am

I'm only lvl 20 with my warrior but I'll try to tell you what I know

daemonym wrote:How can one go about getting a free trial?

What are the major game play differences?

Is tanking a chore when you're not in raids?

Is the end game content difficult?

Is there enough of it?

What is there to actually DO in the game when you're not raiding. Mind you things like achievements and leveling a 40th alt hold zero interest for me.

If I can make 2 million gold in wow, think I'll do well in Rift? =P

Most importantly, what is the community like?

1 - check the official site. there is a big banner I think

2 - There are no major gameplay difference. It's wow with better graphics, the gameplay is as dynamic as wow but the world is far more dynamic. Warrior spec paladin is a mix between the prot pally and the prot warrior from WoW. It's really cool to play. the only downside is that you have many abilities in your book and you just use half of them (half of them can still be quite many though ..)

3 - Don't know. I'm leveling as a tank and I really enjoy it

4 - no idea and I don't care :p

5 - I bet it's like wow at the beginnig. Molten Core and you're done. More raid content will come after I believe

6 - I am leveling slowly enjoying my time, reading quests and discovering the story of the Rift universe. I try to close as many Rifts and protect as many cities as I can even if some monsters are really hard to kill (say 20 monsters in a wave chasing you ... run little girl run ..)

7 - I think most people have still no idea about the prices of most items so imo you can really make tons of gold

8 - I know nobody on Rift. The few time I spoke on the channel people were polite

But btw I wouldn' play Rift as i play wow. If you rush in it and try to finish every thing quickly even the raids it's like making it WoW 2. I'm not personnaly looking for WoW2 i'm looking for something to do just before and after my raids on WoW. WoW = raiding and competition. Rift = discovering a new and beautifull dynamic world and having fun while playing it as a total casual
Cema

Postby Nothan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:59 am

Just picked up playing again with a friend. Re-rolled a cleric this time after some research and it is way more fun than my mage and got to 27 like 10 times faster than soloing on my mage. I can pull 4 mobs and AE them down to quest/grind quickly as inquisitor/cabalist/sentinel, but feels too squishy. When I'm a bit higher I'm going to respec again to cookie cutter shaman/inquisitor/justicar and I should be able to take twice as much if not more by soul drain/cleaving. I've seen people do mobs in packs of 10+ and barely get hurt. If anything I'm just going to use it as a farm spec, macro everything to one button and spam the hell out of it. Yes, that actually does work and it will be amazing :D
Nothan

Postby Punkss2 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 am

Nothan: I am leveling my cleric as Justicar\Druid\(soul with the instant heal). I've been aoe grinding (PVE) for a while and its nice as I usually finish most fights with full HP and mana. I can kill mobs, single pull, with no problem with the self healing Justicar provides. Oh, and I have 2 macros, my nuke button, and my AOE button lol, with my heals I will occasionally have to hit. For PVP I almost solely heal. I'm running a Sentinal\Warden\Templar spec that does crazy healing.
Punkss2

Postby Nothan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:57 am

Just hit 31 last night still maintaining Inquisitor/Sentinel/Cabalist, but I am building my Shaman/Justicar/Inquisitor spec as well. I haven't tried it out yet because my friend who I duo with also specced into some AOE talents on the ranger and we can handle 8-10 mobs at a time and they die in like 5 seconds (casters/ranger mobs suck). Normally I use Vex to pull 5-6 mobs, maybe 6-8 if they are all melee mobs, soul drain them when they are all close, channel a decay, tyranny 3 times and they are all dead. It should be even faster now that I have Circle of Oblivion.
Nothan

Postby Punkss2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 am

So they just made an awesome change. They merged some battle groups. The que times are now almost instant which is nice. The only problem is that the 3 servers that merged into our battle group were all PVE ones, hence a bunch of new baddies to sort through.
Punkss2

Postby thegreatheed » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Punkss2 wrote:So they just made an awesome change.

This happens about every week. Seriously the most responsive dev team I've ever seen.
thegreatheed

Postby Nothan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:56 am

I tried a warfront because I was extremely bored and wanted to see what it was like. Sadly, I found out Rift PvP is very disappointing. The warfront objectives are pretty much like WoW, but then again, I don't see a way you can make any PvP objectives feel new and exciting, so I can't judge it based on that. Also, I feel like as if I'm playing Warhammer again. Clerics are like impossible to kill unless they get assist trained by like 5 people. Getting melted by mages in a blink of an eye.
Nothan

Postby Morngrim » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 pm

I tried the Rift free trial and left unimpressed. I had the graphics on ultra and I couldn't stand the uncanny valley I ended up in. I guess technically it's prettier, but I dislike the way it looks. I didn't like that every race for each side started in one place. It makes some sense with the story, but it doesn't bode well for replay value. Otherwise what little I got to experience, 15 levels on each of four characters, I felt didn't draw me in.

I hope others find it their cuppa tea just so there's some form of competition out there for WoW to improve upon.
Morngrim

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:47 am

Patch 1.3 going live this morning. Should be interesting. Mages getting the nerf hammer finally, clerics still gonna be OPed as hell. Warriors get the nerf bat, again, and rogues about the same from what I can tell. Thank god the Valor(resilience sp?) changes arent going live. Shard transfers that are FREE. I think guild banks if I heard right. New PVE instances.

Any other changes anyone know about?

EDIT: Oh yeah, some of the graphic/display bugs are supposed to be getting fixed, allowing people to run at better settings/FPS.
Punkss2

PreviousNext

Return to General