Egyptian police "Virginity Checks?"

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Egyptian police "Virginity Checks?"

Postby Aubade » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Uhh. Not sure if anyone else has read about this? If so, what are your opinions?

Apparently in an egyptian protest, a few women were claiming to be "raped by the egyptian government" so the egyptian government, performed a "Virginity check" on them, where they were pretty much raped in a room......

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2 ... 51289.html

Seriously egypt...........wow.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Re: Egyptian police "Virginity Checks?"

Postby Candiru » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:09 pm

These sorts of things used to happen in Victorian England...

Enough said really. :(
Candiru

Postby Lightbeard » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm

I've learned to not be concerned over crazy policies from other countries. Nothing other countries do shocks me anymore
Lightbeard

Postby katraya » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Aubade wrote:

While I think this is an entirely screwed up situation I think people need to avoid making generalizations to an entire country, especially when most of us agree we wouldn't want people to generalize our country because we wouldn't come out looking pristine either.

Lightbeard wrote:I've learned to not be concerned over crazy policies from other countries. Nothing other countries do shocks me anymore

Again, you could say the same thing about certain abuses by the US.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Lightbeard » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:47 pm

katraya wrote:
Aubade wrote:

While I think this is an entirely screwed up situation I think people need to avoid making generalizations to an entire country, especially when most of us agree we wouldn't want people to generalize our country because we wouldn't come out looking pristine either.

Lightbeard wrote:I've learned to not be concerned over crazy policies from other countries. Nothing other countries do shocks me anymore

Again, you could say the same thing about certain abuses by the US.

Stuff the US does doesn't compare at all to these so called "Virginity Checks"

We do some weird stuff sure, but compare us to practices in a lot of middle eastern or african countries.

We're pretty well off despite how much everyone here loves to complain about how we're the worst country in the world.
Lightbeard

Postby Jabari » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Lightbeard wrote:Stuff the US does doesn't compare at all to these so called "Virginity Checks"

We do some weird stuff sure, but compare us to practices in a lot of middle eastern or african countries.

We're pretty well off despite how much everyone here loves to complain about how we're the worst country in the world.

Yeah, LB - the US only does stuff like:
- randomly kill little girls for no reason (http://reason.com/blog/2010/05/17/detroit-girl-7-killed-in-swat)
- randomly kill 2-time Iraq war vets for no reason (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389437/Iraq-war-vet-marine-Jose-Guerena-shot-71-times-Tucson-home-SWAT-team.html)
- give weapons to Mexican drug gangs that are used to kill US Border agents (and others) (http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/02/death_in_the_desert_project_gu.html)

Totally innocent and harmless, us.

Not to be totally depressing, here is an actual weird one (though the implications of it really aren't funny): http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-independence-police-shoot-at-concrete-alligator-20110531,0,4098846.story
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Lightbeard wrote:Stuff the US does doesn't compare at all to these so called "Virginity Checks"

Orly?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4894033/
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Aubade » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:40 pm

katraya wrote:
Aubade wrote:

I didn't mean to make this statement a generalization. But it was the Egyptian government that did this. And yes, I know mine is no perfect example either.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Jabari wrote:

Yeah, LB - the US only does stuff like:
- randomly kill little girls for no reason (http://reason.com/blog/2010/05/17/detroit-girl-7-killed-in-swat)
- randomly kill 2-time Iraq war vets for no reason (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389437/Iraq-war-vet-marine-Jose-Guerena-shot-71-times-Tucson-home-SWAT-team.html)
- give weapons to Mexican drug gangs that are used to kill US Border agents (and others) (http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/02/death_in_the_desert_project_gu.html)

Totally innocent and harmless, us.

Not to be totally depressing, here is an actual weird one (though the implications of it really aren't funny): http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-independence-police-shoot-at-concrete-alligator-20110531,0,4098846.story
Seriously, those are the examples you are going to use? I mean, there are plenty of issues in the US, though I'd argue it's a bit harder to find cases where you have government sanctioned events with no recourse for the victims, in the US and the west in general than many other nations on the planet.

In any event, an accidental weapon discharge killing a young girl while the SWAT team was in the middle of apprehending a murder suspect, hardly qualifies as "randomly killing little girls for no reason".

A swat team believing a person pointing an assault weapon at them was a threat, again while acting on a warrant, hardly qualifies as "randomly killing iraq war vets for no reason". At worst you can find negligence in those cases, but I don't believe there was any government intent to randomly kill innocent people.

Shipping arms to a drug cartel in Mexico is a bit more probable, but even that is sketchy (particularly if you check the sources) with the information provided in that article. Of course even then it's not clear to what level the government was involved and what sort of criminal charges may come of it. I'm rather skeptical that Obama was trying to get guns in the hands of drug cartels so he could take down gun manufacturers.

Again, I'm not saying we don't have our own jar of flies, but these examples are terrible comparisons and do more to hurt that argument than to help it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Thalia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Moral relativism.

Seriously, US is not perfect, no one is, no place is, but I rather eat %^$$^ then live in a country where I can't drive because I am a woman (Saudi Arabia), where I am told who to marry, where I can't walk down the street without a man, where if a man decides to rape me they force me to marry him, where my father can kill me if I don't do his bidding and it's considered legal and honorable...where I can be stoned to death for an indiscretion...where my two daughters will be denied a basic education...ALL THIS because I was born with female genitalia.

And I know that n0t 100% of the people in these countries do this, but this topic was about the Military and Goverment of a country doing these sort of intrusive things to women. The most recent horrible story to come to surface is of the poor boy in Syria who was made an example of by his government to scare the oncoming tide of protesters...I pray for that part of the world right now, so much unrest, so much death.../sigh

There is psychotic killers and crazy people in the US, and our government is not perfect..but we are not, by a long shot, as horrible as some other countries in the world. As a woman, I am damn lucky to have been born here and not over there. Maybe the women over there don't care they are treated like that, after all, that's how they have been brought up, though in the end I don't know how they feel, but I don't care because ultimately I know how I feel about how I would like to be treated in this life as a woman and that's why I consider myself lucky and proud to live in this country.

Anyway, I am going to end my rant, it's probably just going to make someone point out more terrible things about where I live, like the fact that Snookie lives here, instead of actually talking about the topic.
Last edited by Thalia on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thalia

Postby Passionario » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Aubade wrote:I didn't mean to make this statement a generalization. But it was the Egyptian government that did this. And yes, I know mine is no perfect example either.

It's not the Egyptian government. It's the Egyptian military junta that is temporarily (or so they say) holding the reins of power until a proper legitimate government can be formed.
Last edited by Passionario on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Passionario wrote:
Aubade wrote:I didn't mean to make this statement a generalization. But it was the Egyptian government that did this. And yes, I know mine is no perfect example either.

It's not the Egyptian government. It's the Egyptian military junta that is temporarily (or so they say) holding the reins of power until a proper legitimate government can be formed.

It's also nation going through quite a bit of governmental turmoil, and these things will need time to shake out. For all we know when the dust settles, the folks implementing this sort of thing will be charged accordingly.

That said, there's the issue that senior military officials believe it matters whether someone who claims they were raped, is or is not a virgin (not to mention the release of folks with a "university degree").
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Thalia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:12 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Passionario wrote:

It's also nation going through quite a bit of governmental turmoil, and these things will need time to shake out. For all we know when the dust settles, the folks implementing this sort of thing will be charged accordingly.

That said, there's the issue that senior military officials believe it matters whether someone who claims they were raped, is or is not a virgin (not to mention the release of folks with a "university degree").

Lol...if it was over here the folks with the university degrees would be the most likely to fail the virginity tests :D lol j/p now that was a generalization, i blame it on MTV Spring Break =P
Thalia

Postby Brekkie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:25 am

It's important to distinguish the difference between "sanctioned, pre-meditated actions of the government" and "Some dude who works for the government did something messed up".

It's also important to distinguish when there isn't even a legitimate government at all, and things in the country are in transition.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby laterna » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:55 am

Its also importand to realise what makes news and what doesn't... saying that 1 egyptian man working for the goverment raped women is one thing, saying a whole goverment raped women a whole different thing... Channel views are in the end of the day, the currency in the news world
laterna

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum