Remove Advertisements

[Healer] Raid assessments, non-scientific....

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

[Healer] Raid assessments, non-scientific....

Postby sherck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:40 am

Hey Tankadins,

I am looking for a general, overall assessment about the various healing specs that you run with. Not really a "tactics" or "ability" run-down, just more of a "this specs seems good at this job" or "I love being healed by a..." or "...our combo of this and that do a good job."

The gensis of this is that I look at how I tank heal on my Holy Paladin and wonder "how the heck" another spec could heal a tank through this particular pull or boss. My focus is mostly on how other healing specs do Main Tank healing under heavy tank damage phases. How do other healers heal the MT during Flame Orders on Cho'gall when the other healer is out of range healing the kiting OT? Or, on the pull of Halfus, how do other healers keep the MT up with both Halfus and a drake on him? Or even the multi-mob pulls prior to Nalorakk come to mind; on my Pally I struggle to keep the tank up even with a CC or two without doing full Divine Light spam; how do other healers do it?

What is really driving this is that I am becoming (again) disillusioned that Blizzard has any idea on how to manage the Holy Paladin spec or what proper itemization means. If I were to switch, it would be to a Priest with Holy spec for sure paired with either Discipline if needed for primary MT healing or Shadow if Holy spec does a fine job tank healing.

Gearing on a Priest appears to be SO much easier and better than the Paladin. BoE gear is plentiful and often well itemized, VP gear is well itemized and crafted gear is around.

Anyway, I am interesting in hearing your impressions.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: [Healer] Raid assessments, non-scientific....

Postby Flex » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 am

I enjoy being healed by guild healers.
I do not enjoy being healed by non-guild healers.

I know what to expect from them and they know what to expect from me, it works well.

Gearing on a Priest appears to be SO much easier and better than the Paladin

Only one spirit crafted, same slot as the only spirit rep reward, the rest are BoE raid drops. So easier if you have the patience and gold to spend. Cloth healers also get the shaft in the new gear from the Firelands dailies with zero spirit items.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Meloree » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:43 am

It's kind of tough to say. As it stands right now, it tends to be druids and paladins that get primary responsibility for tanks in our raids, but we're extremely aggressive about crosshealing. Tank healers help on the raid on a regular basis, and raid healers help on the tanks - it tends to maximize the ability to make use of everyone's strengths. Holy Priests putting renew/PoM on tanks during spare GCDs, even when they're "on raid" makes a big different. Disc priests and bubble are great for stablizing a tank during/after/before any kind of burst event, despite the fact that they're mostly on the raid. Resto shaman tend to keep their earth shields on tanks and keep riptide going. Resto druids, when they're on tanks, will put up a lot of HoTs on the raid (in addition to the obvious WG on cooldown). Holy Paladins almost always spend their HP on LoD, and hit HR on a very regular basis, even when they're on tanks. Tank healers will leave tanks to top up the raid, and be comfortable doing it, because there's so much incidental healing going on on the tanks, due to all that crosshealing, that tanks are safe for a while.

So, while ultimate responsibility for the tanks might rest with our holy paladin on any given fight, everyone helps out. The opposite is true as well, while the holy paladin might have no responsibility for the raid, she helps out on the raid a lot. It's tough to evaluate specs for strengths in 25mans right now, because a good, diverse, well-synergized healing team is much more powerful than the sum of it's parts.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 am

when i heal on my priest i am normally on raid heals (holy priest ftw!)
but i always try to keep PoM on the tank, and i will help out directly healing the tank during heavy damage phases (omnomnom ...i mean mangle during Magmaw)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Archeth » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 am

Flex wrote:
Gearing on a Priest appears to be SO much easier and better than the Paladin

Only one spirit crafted, same slot as the only spirit rep reward, the rest are BoE raid drops. So easier if you have the patience and gold to spend. Cloth healers also get the shaft in the new gear from the Firelands dailies with zero spirit items.

This is correct. Gearing up seems easier if you look at how cloth seems generally more abundant than intellect plate, but spirit cloth is still a niche and you run into the same "1-2 spirit cloth items per slot and gear level and chances are your favourite stat isn't on them" issue. Because regen is tied more to actually stacking spirit rather than relying on "crutches" like SoI or judging, it's more painful to go for spirit-less items like the crafted pants or rep necklace/gloves. We're not shadow priests who may want practically any caster item regardless of spirit or hit. There are more BoE options available though and a drop off Chimaeron is more likely than getting the roughly 20 trash mobs in BWD to drop a wand, mastery is somewhat nice and the tier gear is pretty good (there's still 2/5 terrible spirit/crit items but thankfully one is the helm you probably won't bother with for a while anyway). So there's that.

I love my priest for its flexibility and always grumble when my officers want me to bring my paladin to alt raids. Single target healing may not be too hot and after playing my warlock it always pains me having to deal with several-minute cooldowns for mana regen, but the toolkit feels more robust than paladins' and sprint-shield or bro-grip are both much more fun to me than paladin utility (hands etc.).
Archeth

Postby warden » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:01 am

My primary alt right now is a resto druid (alt run is 10 man, 5/13H), so I'll throw some thoughts out from that perspective.

- Good variety in gearing; Active mana regen nerfs will increase the need for spirit, but atm mastery and haste are both viable gearing paths and running with a few pieces that are non-spirit aren't killing me the way they might a priest.

- Strong hots make for mana-efficient raid healing if you have a bit of time to do it, such as after electricute, blackout or shadow orders, or after massacre on Chim.

- Tree of life is a great on-demand healing boost for both tank and raid healing.

- Tank healing is pretty easy, stacking hots and using nourish or healing touch to refresh lifebloom. I can easily tank-heal in a mana-neutral state (sitting at 95-100% without dropping) even on harder-hitting content like Nef, H Magmaw, etc, by chaining nourishes and just lobbing a healing touch or swiftmend if the tank takes a spike.

- Heavy raid healing, as expected, eats mana quickly. Rejuv blanketing with WG on cd can only be kept up with for a limited time, but there are few fights that require this (H Magmaw P2, Cho'gall late p2 with high corruption, H Halfus before storm drops).

- 3 minute tranquility provides an on-demand burst raid healing CD, and is very powerful.

- Mobility. Can't really say enough about this. I can raid heal just as well at a dead run as I can standing still.

- Weakness of resto druids currently are their lack of mitigative CDs for the raid or tank... they're the only healer without one. Also, the inervate nerf in 4.2 is going to hurt their utility (atm, most of my inervates go to our holy priest, not me) a little bit. Also, direct healing two targets at once when both require more healing that hots alone provide can be... "interesting," but is managable.

Overall, resto druid healing is a ton of fun, and as long as the raid as the cooldowns it requires from other sources, they're great tank or raid healers for nearly all content.

Edit: For reference, this is from a mid-350s Ilvl perspective. My druid is Thunderchikn on Whisperwind (can't link armory from work).

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:35 pm

Just putting it out there that people who don't play priests tend to not realise just how different Holy and Disc are and there's probably too much crossover in their expectations of them. For example, Spirit is pretty "ehh" for Discipline, while crit isn't actually all that abysmal for them like it is for Holy etc etc.
Levantine

Postby Meloree » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:37 pm

That's because Divine Aegis is OP as all hell.

I wish we had a disc priest with a Val'nyr. I really like bubbles.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:13 am

As someone who prefers Holy, I'm amazingly jealous of how well all the caster stats work in concert with each other in Discipline. There's none of this "Oh, crit is junk 100% of the time and when I have crew of other healers working with me my mastery is heavily devalued yay haste/spirit!"

Divine Aegis and Shield Discipline are amazing. D:
Levantine

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:45 am

Personally when I feel like "exploring" other specs I go to Wowpopular.com it's one of those fancy sites that tracks the use of talents, glyphs, enchants and stuff..

That away I can explore what "others" like to use and occasionally I find something I like.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Return to General