Remove Advertisements

[25] Sinestra

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Sinestra

Postby PsiVen » Sat May 28, 2011 10:02 am

I've determined that a warlock using Hand of Gul'dan was causing Indomitables for us: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=89605
Make sure they're aware not to use it.

By the way, I've noticed that some of the problems I had with healers pulling whelp aggro long after picking them up were due to HotR not chaining to them from Sinestra. I couldn't find a distance I was comfortable with that allowed me to chain hammers off her, so I just target a whelp whenever I HotR now and aggro is much more solid.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby anafielle » Sun May 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey all, we're working on Sinestra now. Thanks for all the tips in this thread; definitely helped me out as the whelp pickup tank.

I was wondering about how you all handle Spitecallers. Anyone have a definitive list of what should be used to lock them down? One of the strats we've seen lists these:
-Fear
-Gouge
-Blind
-Death grip
-Scatter shot
-Repentance

More? I know that 2 rogues can pull it off optimally but I'd love to build a list of what we can use. We didn't have 2 rogues last night.

Granted we have not put enough time into p2 yet to come up with a really good feel for what to use, but I'd like to be prepared for the next night of attempts. And that's good to know about Hand of Guldan; I'll let the locks know not to use it, although I think we're going to depend on melee to lock them down.
Last edited by anafielle on Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anafielle, 90 Retribution Paladin in <Something Wicked> :: Armory :: Twitter

Sacred Duty: Theck, Meloree & Ana's blog

"Hold on, hold on, let me make sure I've got this straight. You're telling me that a critical part of our strategy for this fight will be to have the ret paladins go stand in the fire? Yeah, we can handle that." -- DSWarden
anafielle

Postby georgamel » Mon May 30, 2011 12:42 am

we use a 1 rogue gouging, and a rotation of DK's Hungering cold and Pally Repentance. this is getting 2 spitecallers in P2.
The Squirrel Mafia - Shadowmoon
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadowmoon/georgamel/advanced
georgamel

Postby Kerriodos » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:19 am

anafielle wrote:Hey all, we're working on Sinestra now. Thanks for all the tips in this thread; definitely helped me out as the whelp pickup tank.

I was wondering about how you all handle Spitecallers. Anyone have a definitive list of what should be used to lock them down? One of the strats we've seen lists these:
-Fear
-Gouge
-Blind
-Death grip
-Scatter shot
-Repentance

More? I know that 2 rogues can pull it off optimally but I'd love to build a list of what we can use. We didn't have 2 rogues last night.

Granted we have not put enough time into p2 yet to come up with a really good feel for what to use, but I'd like to be prepared for the next night of attempts. And that's good to know about Hand of Guldan; I'll let the locks know not to use it, although I think we're going to depend on melee to lock them down.

Since we push phase three in one egg phase, we have our two rogues handle the first add, with DK's using Hungering Cold in an emergency. The second add, which activates as we transition, is kited by me back toward the boss and on the second cast a DK Death Grips it to the middle of the room where the range help blow it up before the next cast (though rogue's are ready just in case). Some of our learning attempts, before we were pushing the eggs in one phase had our ret paladin and DK's on standby for repentance and Hungering Cold as well.

Make sure your Rogue's glyph Gouge, just incase someone pulls off the Spitecaller tank, so the positional requirement doesn't screw you.

Advice for you personally, assuming you're tanking the Spitecaller: One thing to be very careful with is glyph'd Holy Wrath. I forgot I'd left it glyph'd on a few of our early attempts and hit it during an otherwise-empty GCD out of habit. Since the Spitecallers are dragonkin, the stun wiped us. So either unglyph it or be very careful. The stun doesn't work on the whelps anyways, so you'd be fine to just swap it out.
Kerriodos

Postby warden » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks for the inputs; I was actually "tanking" the first spitecaller as ret until the whelp debuff fell off of Ana, but this might change as we get more consistantly into P2; we only have had half a night on her so far. Timing-wise, we were just barely getting the second spitecaller before she pushed into p3, but this might change if we have to add a 6th healer.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:04 pm

warden wrote:Thanks for the inputs; I was actually "tanking" the first spitecaller as ret until the whelp debuff fell off of Ana, but this might change as we get more consistantly into P2; we only have had half a night on her so far. Timing-wise, we were just barely getting the second spitecaller before she pushed into p3, but this might change if we have to add a 6th healer.

We have a plate DPS tank the second spitecaller - I tank the first one with the debuff up trusting that nobody stuns. Then I run off and tank Sinestra while the debuff finishes falling off, and the former Sinestra tank (who has a partial drake) picks up the first two waves of whelps. We AoE those down (twice), then he takes Sinestra back, and I take the rest of the whelp packs, bubbling stacks away as the 5th p3 group arrives (the 3rd one I have to tank).
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Kerriodos » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:27 pm

warden wrote:Thanks for the inputs; I was actually "tanking" the first spitecaller as ret until the whelp debuff fell off of Ana, but this might change as we get more consistantly into P2; we only have had half a night on her so far. Timing-wise, we were just barely getting the second spitecaller before she pushed into p3, but this might change if we have to add a 6th healer.

Even with six healers you should be able to take out the eggs in one phase. Remind your ranged they can pre-dot and get up debuffs before Carapace falls. Sounds like you push it around the same time as us--any later and you'll need to wait for a second egg phase and be guaranteed a third Spitecaller.

Ana can tank the Spitecaller with the debuff fine, too. He just melees, and if he gets his Shadow AoE off you're very likely all going to die regardless. Like Mel we essentially have a plate DPS tank, after the Death Grip at least, while I peel off and pick up whelps (my Twilight Spit debuff has fallen off at this point--we usually have the first two waves dead the second time when I hit about 51 stacks, for reference). I tank two waves, pick up Sinestra while tanking the respawns with GoAK up, then our DK does two and we switch back for the rest of the fight.

To be honest, Mel's strategy would probably result in a faster kill, but barring cutter deaths, our DPS is generally very strong. First kill was as the sixth wave spawned (I didn't even have time to pick them up) but our latest kill was as the fifth wave spawned. If you have strong DPS either would work, depending on what your healers/tanks are more comfortable with.
Kerriodos

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)