Blizzcon 2011

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Blizzcon 2011

Postby PsiVen » Sat May 21, 2011 10:30 am

Yeah, I was in line within 3 seconds. Clicking the 'quantity: 2' button is killer.

I like how the line abruptly ended at 10% stock when I was at position 500 looking likely to get tickets... Nice of them.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Nikachelle » Sat May 21, 2011 10:32 am

Yes, less people, but all the people behind us in queue who also missed out on tickets.

I really don't want to pay the Ebay price just on principle.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby ack » Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 am

Got lucky again and this will be my 5th Blizzcon. I do have extra tickets though so if anyone is interested, PM me.
Ackini of Paragon, Frostmane.
ack
Maintankadonor

Postby Pfife » Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am

PsiVen wrote:Clicking the 'quantity: 2' button is killer.

IIRC last year you could change the quantity when you got to the front of the queue. Can anybody confirm you can still do that?
Ghostcrawler: Right. If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.
Pfife

Postby ack » Sat May 21, 2011 11:09 am

Pfife wrote:
PsiVen wrote:Clicking the 'quantity: 2' button is killer.

IIRC last year you could change the quantity when you got to the front of the queue. Can anybody confirm you can still do that?

Yes, you can change the quantity during checkout.
Ackini of Paragon, Frostmane.
ack
Maintankadonor

Postby anafielle » Sat May 21, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm going again this year. Last year was tons of fun. Already got my hotel room and everything. Totally planning on cornering the devs at the class Q&A again this year, this time with less nervousness & more not letting them weasel out of a straight answer. Anyways... looking forward to it; y'all wave if you see me. I'll be wearing something maintankadin all weekend.

edit: a few people who were on vent with me while the tickets were on sale today reported that while they were in queue, they could change the quantity of tickets in another window and their quantity would update while waiting in line without losing their spot. A little too late to be helpful, but good to know if you're going again on Wednesday. I'm hoping we'll take a raid break for it, heh.
Anafielle, 90 Retribution Paladin in <Something Wicked> :: Armory :: Twitter

Sacred Duty: Theck, Meloree & Ana's blog

"Hold on, hold on, let me make sure I've got this straight. You're telling me that a critical part of our strategy for this fight will be to have the ret paladins go stand in the fire? Yeah, we can handle that." -- DSWarden
anafielle

Postby sahiel » Sun May 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Was at a wedding when the tickets went on sale! Luckily a friend had been advised beforehand and managed to get us tickets, so we'll be there again thankfully!

For those who try again Wednesday, best of luck, and as mentioned before, you can change the 'number' when you get to the checkout so just hit 'order' immediately rather than actually selecting a number, the few seconds it takes is a killer for queue place. Also, rather than ebay the best place to go for tickets after they're all sold out is probably the 'spare tickets' section of the fan site http://www.blizzcon2011.net/ where the people with extras tend to sell them always for face value rather than scalping.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby valura » Mon May 23, 2011 4:27 am

sahiel wrote:For those who try again Wednesday, best of luck, and as mentioned before, you can change the 'number' when you get to the checkout so just hit 'order' immediately rather than actually selecting a number, the few seconds it takes is a killer for queue place. Also, rather than ebay the best place to go for tickets after they're all sold out is probably the 'spare tickets' section of the fan site http://www.blizzcon2011.net/ where the people with extras tend to sell them always for face value rather than scalping.

Let's hope this works out, since I once again did not succeed in beating the scalpers to get my tickets. Last 14% of the available tickets went out in 1'8", and about 20 minutes after it was sold out, there were 250+ auctions for tickets up on ebay...

Problem is, me and my best friend want to go, but in order to do so, we have to schedule our holidays around february, so either we still get tickets or we get to spend 10 days in Belgiums craptacular weather with absolutely nothing to do :x
In tribute to the original Paladin, Charles the Hammer Martel (° 688 - † 22 oct 741).
Bohica (90) BM
Kul Tiras >>> Valura (90) Prot | Hashishin (90) Combat | Arishem (90) Blood | Maurgane (90) Frost | Bova (90) Bear |
| Zannah (90) Resto | Farmingbull (76) Resto | Shoju (51) WW | Wærloga (63) Destro | Dejiko (50) Prot |
Draenor >>> Kenesha (90) Resto | Qedesha (80) Disc | Lanthlasa (52) BM | Xiaohongquan (78) WW |

Jebus what a soul crushing procession of Failures, Septic Tanks, Oxygen thieves and Utter Utter retards. - masterpooba
valura
Maintankadonor

Location: outer ring of the 7th circle of Hell (aka Kul Tiras EU - Horde side)

Postby Phonic » Mon May 23, 2011 8:29 am

I got tickets again as well. Nice tip about changing the quantity during checkout, i didn't know that :D
Phonic

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 24, 2011 7:02 am

I know most people are already in the States, but I'm trying to figure out what a good price for an airline ticket to LAX is. I currently see a few up there for $540, but I have no idea if that's cheap or overpriced.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Tue May 24, 2011 7:09 am

Nikachelle wrote:I know most people are already in the States, but I'm trying to figure out what a good price for an airline ticket to LAX is. I currently see a few up there for $540, but I have no idea if that's cheap or overpriced.

I think it was like $700-something to fly into LAX from our airport (east coast US) last year. We actually ended up flying into John Wayne airport at Orange County. It was a little more expensive, but is closer to Anaheim so we didn't have to deal with the traffic and worrying about timing for the return trip.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 am

Hmmm so $540 is sounding pretty nice right now. We're planning to spend an extra week out in California and LAX will be closer to our eventual destination.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue May 24, 2011 7:47 am

LAX to Anaheim is a bear during rush hour, but there are some shuttles that run to Disneyland, so you might be able to get one of those if you are not renting a car. Also, some of the larger hotels near Disneyland have their own shuttles at LAX.

John Wayne is certainly a lot closer, but it's not exactly next door.

Depending on how many are meeting up and which nights, I can think about places to potentially meet (and how far people want to drive or not, based on car rentals and familiarity with driving in LA). One close solution might be Downtown Disney, several restaurants there, but it will be crowded on the weekend, and we'd need to make a reservation for a large group EARLY.

Another thought is Medieval Times, decent dinner and show, but a bit pricey.. $50+. http://www.medievaltimes.com/
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Tue May 24, 2011 7:53 am

halabar wrote:Another thought is Medieval Times, decent dinner and show, but a bit pricey.. $50+. http://www.medievaltimes.com/

decent dinner is suspect. It is basically the food you can buy at your local warehouse club.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 am

I did a bit of research... there's an Amtrak train that runs between LA Union station and Anaheim that's only $11 per person and the commute is 39 minutes. This one seemed like a clear winner. The Greyhound bus is about the same price and takes about an hour.

Definitely won't be renting a car for that weekend since it'll just end up sitting in a lot anyway.

We're up for any kind of group meetup - but our knowledge of LA is completely nil. We'll be there from Thursday October 20th (probably around midday) till October 30th, so we're pretty flexible.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General