AOE threat issue

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

AOE threat issue

Postby Sophotrates » Sat May 21, 2011 2:27 am

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone else got problems with AOE threat or if it's just me.
When both my fellow tank and me make threat on a pack of mobs (first trashpacks and packs before Cho'gall in BoT spring to mind), if I don't pull with Divine Plea --> Inquisition --> Avenging Wrath --> HotR-spam, then there's no way in hell I can hold aggro over him, no matter what class the other one is, no matter what I do.
I first noticed this problem in patch 4.0.1 pre-cata when doing HC Lich King tries. I had big problems keeping those adds on me and when me and the warrior tank switched places after some wipes, he never lost threat on a single one. First I thought it was because of Vigilance and Shockwave, but similar things happened with druid and dk tanks.
Until now I accepted it as a counterbalance for our strong raidutility and just insisted that the other tank goes on add-duty (which they most of the time loved to do). However, this morning I've read this article on wow.joystiq.com and the writer said "-- and, let's face it, as a paladin tank you'll probably be on adds --".

So now I'm wondering if the problem lies with me.

Statwise, I strife to 0% and 10 expertise (with the glyph) but so do my fellow tanks (except DK). I'm using the HotR glyph and am using that ability every CD. I'm blowing all my holy power on Inquisition but I'm rarely using Consecration due to mana problems (don't have it talented).
Link to my character.

Thanks for any help.
Sophotrates

Re: AOE threat issue

Postby benebarba » Sat May 21, 2011 4:44 am

Sophotrates wrote:<snip>
if I don't pull with Divine Plea --> Inquisition --> Avenging Wrath --> HotR-spam
<snip>
I'm using the HotR glyph and am using that ability every CD. I'm blowing all my holy power on Inquisition but I'm rarely using Consecration due to mana problems (don't have it talented).
<snip>

Are these *exactly* what you are doing?

what are you using during the HotR cooldown? If you aren't using fillers, I suspect that is the problem right there. You're only using 1 AOE attack rather than the 3 you have access to (HoTR, AS, HW). And if you are sure to judge in your rotation dropping a consecrate shouldn't kill your mana.

And I am guessing depending on the actual sequence of events, it is possible the other tank has vengence stacks that won't be making your life easier.
benebarba

Postby Sophotrates » Sat May 21, 2011 11:22 am

No, of course I'm using AS and HW on every CD, but when facing packs of 10+ mobs, their threat will be negligible compared to the HotR, so I only wrote that down :)
In general I try something like this:
- Opening with DP --> Inq --> AW
- Pull with AS and judge, afterwards HotR --> Cons (while I still can afford the mana) --> HotR --> HW --> HotR --> Inq --> HotR --> ...
Should I manage to get all this without missing once, I suppose I can hold aggro, but this occurs so rarely that I cannot confirm it...
And the opening only applies to the first pack. Packs after that are nearly impossible to get aggro on.

And no, no vengeance stacks on either tank, although if the warrior shockwaves and receives aggro from it, his vengeance will go up fast, making it harder and harder for me to get something back.
Sophotrates

Postby Awyndel » Mon May 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Well change the AS glyph ofc, on multiple targets. You're prolly doing that.

Also remember the rogue like mobs before chogall focus on a person. Just have them dispelled and stunned or hop that person or whatever. Grouping up your raid helps on burning those down.

For the rest, I can't really guess what your problem is, seems you're doing it right. Just make sure you do an inq pull and you do the countdown yourself, so ppl give you enough time to pick them up.

It's also VERY important you receive tricks and md's, since you won't have vengeance up. Install an addon to track this, to see if your raiders are doing their job. RBS has a function that does this.

Also try using a nameplate addon, like tidyplates or aloft, so you can see wich mobs you lost and taunt them back.
Awyndel

Return to Basic Training & Talents