Remove Advertisements

Running out of Mana in heroic

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Running out of Mana in heroic

Postby Dianora » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:43 am

I was recently converted into a tankadin due to shortage of tanks. While I was healing, I collect sets that aren't needed. I also went out of my way to buy as much 2.3 badge gear as I can. Which brings up the heroic instance.

I seemed to be running out of mana after practically every pull. I think I'm over geared for practically all of the heroics I run on a regular basis (mech, bot, SP, UB, ramp, SH), but I don't quite know what pieces to switch out so I can get hit more.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby adese » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:31 pm

There are two things that you can do if you go OOM on a run:
1. Downgrade your gear so you take more damage (being careful not to go too far, so that your healer can keep you up).
2. Pull more mobs.

I would suggest trying #2 and see how it goes. AoE tanking heroics is always a blast, and they end up going pretty quickly, too.
adese

Postby Dianora » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:25 pm

adese wrote:There are two things that you can do if you go OOM on a run:
1. Downgrade your gear so you take more damage (being careful not to go too far, so that your healer can keep you up).
2. Pull more mobs.

I would suggest trying #2 and see how it goes. AoE tanking heroics is always a blast, and they end up going pretty quickly, too.

#1 is probably what I'll do. The problem is that PuG that I pick up ranges from Raid healer to buying the heroic just before entering the instance. For my down grade, I'm actually thinking of wearing my S3 healing head and chest. My hit on stam will be smaller, and I should still be uncritable in Heroic.

There's also the I'm PVP spec DPSers that I consistently loose aggro to (The PVP shadow priest from one of the top guild on my server blew my aggro out of the water on mobs that was hitting on me, and sitting on my consecration the whole fight, and he wasn't even trying).

Another thing is that I'm currently wearing my raid tanking gear of balanced Dodge/Block. Should I concentrate more on block?
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Exodius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Dianora wrote:The problem is that PuG that I pick up ranges from Raid healer to buying the heroic just before entering the instance. For my down grade, I'm actually thinking of wearing my S3 healing head and chest. My hit on stam will be smaller, and I should still be uncritable in Heroic.

There's also the I'm PVP spec DPSers that I consistently loose aggro to (The PVP shadow priest from one of the top guild on my server blew my aggro out of the water on mobs that was hitting on me, and sitting on my consecration the whole fight, and he wasn't even trying).

Another thing is that I'm currently wearing my raid tanking gear of balanced Dodge/Block. Should I concentrate more on block?

Hmmm... those are a few points there.

Raid healer does not equal good heroic healer. As has been discussed all over the place, heroics have a different set of skills to raid healing. Raids you work as a team, have a healing assignement with multiple people, and work with others heals to cover each other's backs.

Heroics, it's all about hps, and rarely do you have a back up healer. Sometimes you do, yes, and if the dps is good enough than that can sometimes help, but it's the exception rather than the norm.

So a FoL raid heal bot does not make for a good heroic healer when you get hit for 3k white damage on trash...

The good news though is it is possible to be a good heroic and raid healer at the same time though. :P

You can downgrade gear for heroics. It's up to you and your party, especially your healer, about what is good or not. In all seriousness though, truly consider doing less CC. Unless it's a mob with an overpowered ability like MC or area fear or pairs of super hitters, then you don't need to CC everything in sight. It will help your incoming damage which will help your mana pool.

Just make sure your healer can take the damage level you absorb. :P

As for PvP types... they need to moderate their threat output. It's one thing to PvP with a burst damage spec and ignore the concept of threat.

It's another thing to go into a heroic where mobs can one shot you and you have not bothered to take innate threat reduction talents.

The DPSers need to watch their threat. Sure, you can use wizard oil and spell damage food, but if they pull too much aggro and it causes problems, well, just kick em. Tell them why, explain they are not controlling their threat and making their life hell.

Another alternative to someone like you described is to specifically target a mob for them, someone like a caster that's a pain to tank anyway. This should give them something to do so they a. don't pull threat from you unintentionally and b. gives you enough time with the other mobs that you have a good enough threat lead that it won't matter.

I'd probably do the second alternative first, on reflection. It tends to work better and their "1337 dps" (read bad spec choice) can be put to use. :P

Dodge/block... it depends on the mobs. Dual bog lords in Underbog, dodge is a good thing. Mass trash in shattered halls, block is a good thing.

It's a bit like a raid I guess. Lots of small trash are better with block value, big hitters are better with dodge. :D

Enjoy! :D
Exodius

Postby Corynthia » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:17 pm

Smart post, Exodius. ^^
Corynthia

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:39 pm

a good idea is, literally, bending over to the mob: Press the Sit key and take an autocrit..that should give you more mana =D
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ehtirno » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:33 am

This:

Snake-Aes wrote:a good idea is, literally, bending over to the mob: Press the Sit key and take an autocrit..that should give you more mana =D

The reason why paladin tanks don't unbind "Sit" like other tanks :p
Ehtirno

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics