Remove Advertisements

why was bubble hearth killed?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: why was bubble hearth killed?

Postby Arnock » Tue May 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Arnock wrote:There were a lot of things removed in 4.0 that really make no sense to me.

I mean, what justification can you possibly give for removing Divine intervention, sense undead, and eyes of the beast?

What justification could you give for them being there in the first place?

Ah did no lak me repahr billz
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Passionario » Tue May 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Arnock wrote:There were a lot of things removed in 4.0 that really make no sense to me.

I mean, what justification can you possibly give for removing Divine intervention, sense undead, and eyes of the beast?

Ghostcrawler made a rather lengthy watercooler post on the subject not so long ago.

Basically, as new abilities and talents are added via patches and expansions, some of the old ones inevitably need to be cut to prevent the game from becoming a bloated and unplayable mess.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Archeth » Wed May 18, 2011 3:47 am

The spells they removed weren't the ones adding to the "bloated unplayable mess" part, though. They were all situational skills which didn't hurt anyone who never bothered to use them. You shouldn't have to justify flavour skills' existence based on how useful they are in everyday situations.
Archeth

Postby Passionario » Wed May 18, 2011 4:48 am

Archeth wrote:The spells they removed weren't the ones adding to the "bloated unplayable mess" part, though.

As GC pointed out, there are two numbers that devs need to watch closely in regards to abilities.

The first is the number of "rotational" abilities - buttons that people press during combat all the time. The ideal magic number for those is four - fewer than that and combat gets boring, more than that, and it becomes too complicated.

The second is the total number, which includes rotational abilities, situational abilities, racials, professions, consumables, and other buttons that players might theoretically need to use someday. Once this total number becomes too big to fit all buttons into default action bars, it's time to start cutting.

DI, Sense Undead and EotB ran afoul of the latter problem.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Sabindeus » Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 am

Archeth wrote: You shouldn't have to justify flavour skills' existence based on how useful they are in everyday situations.

As Passionario points out, Goatcaller disagrees!

Also he promised me a pony.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Amirya » Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 am

Sabindeus wrote:

What justification could you give for them being there in the first place?

Flavor. I can almost understand removing DI, since warlocks and DKs can now battle-rez.

Sense Undead? Not really, pretty sure Hunters can still Track Beasts/humanoids/dragonkin/elementals/etc

Eyes of the Beast is hardly gamebreaking. It was channelled, the hunter couldn't do this in shadowmeld (and presumably camo), so...I can see the battleground. "OMG THERE IS A RANDOM HUNTER PET WALKING AROUND!" "Oh, go kill the hunter. Easy."

Edit: /dead horse
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General