Remove Advertisements

Al'akir HC(10)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Al'akir HC(10)

Postby PsiVen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Strendarr wrote:
PsiVen wrote: Another good reason would be if you have a warrior MT who can Heroic Leap over the squall lines and never take any electrocution damage -- I wouldn't have believed this worked, but it seemed to be at least one guild's strategy for their kill video.

Do you have a link to the video of that warrior leaping like that? After reading this I tried it out myself and after I landed on the far side of the squall line I got sucked laterally into it, resulting in an embarassing wipe.

I'll see if I can dig it up, it was one of the videos we were studying for strategy. I could be wrong about what was actually happening; Leap of Faith will certainly pull a tank through or out of squall lines safely but it seems to be rather impractical to depend on that.

Ilz wrote:3 healing it is the best way to go. Get through phase 1 before the 3rd wind burst or immediately after. Use hero/lust at around 5-6-7 stacks of feedback.

Well, we end P1 just after the 3rd wind burst 4-healing, and have skipped or interrupted it a couple times. Our conclusion was that we couldn't reliably prevent a 2nd wind burst, and therefore didn't appreciably shorten P1 (even with Heroism -- which would have made P2 last way too long). I suspect that your positioning is better suited to handle 3-healing P1 as we found it very difficult to survive and then discovered that on our best attempts, we couldn't even survive to where we wanted to pop Heroism.

Anyway, we finally killed it last night after having to take a two week break from raiding, and I can't say our strategy changed markedly from the draft I initially proposed when we started. It was just a ton of attempts of fine tuning and experience. We can now consistently (~50%) get to P2 in good shape, though we've usually burned our Rebirth, and as long as kill timings don't slip we Heroism as late as possible during the 8th stack of Feedback and push Al'Akir into P3 right as the 11th Feedback is landing. In earlier learning attempts, 9 or 10 Feedback seemed to be the absolute maximum; tight kill timings make a big difference.

We had a few painful wipes in P3 for no good reason, so just remember: stack tight, watch altitude, and remember that you need to drop an extra cloud each movement cycle compared to normal mode (3 instead of 2 at each end).
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Strendarr » Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Since posting about trying to leap over the squall line and having it fail, I've found out what determines if you're successful or not: whether or not the ability has completed by the time the squall line has reached your character's starting point. So, I adjusted my heroic leaps to land me just on the far side of it when its still quite far away and it works every time. The same thing works with intervene. Knowing this, it makes mobility on this fight a warrior's plaything.
Strendarr

Postby fafhrd » Mon May 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Strendarr wrote:Since posting about trying to leap over the squall line and having it fail, I've found out what determines if you're successful or not: whether or not the ability has completed by the time the squall line has reached your character's starting point. So, I adjusted my heroic leaps to land me just on the far side of it when its still quite far away and it works every time. The same thing works with intervene. Knowing this, it makes mobility on this fight a warrior's plaything.

Disengage works like this too, for all the bad stuff you disengage out of, the game considers you as being at your starting point until you touch down at your end point.

We got this fight tonight finally, I don't think I'll miss it if we never do either of the bosses in the instance again (but I want stuff off them :/).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Lieris » Fri May 06, 2011 10:27 am

Phase 2 damage is vicious and it really sucks not having a gap closer. Even with cooldowns tanking the adds while moving for tornadoes (especially at the start with 3 up) felt really vicious with just 3 healers. Has anyone done this using a DK to OT the adds as mentioned by Psiven earlier in the thread?
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Xenix » Fri May 06, 2011 11:22 am

Lieris wrote:Phase 2 damage is vicious and it really sucks not having a gap closer. Even with cooldowns tanking the adds while moving for tornadoes (especially at the start with 3 up) felt really vicious with just 3 healers. Has anyone done this using a DK to OT the adds as mentioned by Psiven earlier in the thread?

Yeah - we have our DK dps OT the adds, with a shadow priest responsible for them dying on time and a bear as our MT. One thing that really helps in p2 is if the group moves away from any adds spawning near them so they don't eat extra damage, since that phase is really all about getting him to 25% before your healers' mana runs out or the acid rain requires too much hps to deal with.
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby PsiVen » Fri May 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Maybe it was just side effects from getting through P1 alive so rarely, but we found it totally untenable to 3-heal P2 even while spreading the damage to a DK tanking adds. I think clever use of glyphed Holy Wrath should keep the adds from debuffing you during Electrocute, but that makes it harder for you to help kill adds at the right time, not to mention picking up new ones; I'm much happier with this fight now that I'm not trying to tank the boss while worrying about adds.

Some folks probably noticed that this fight was nerfed in a hotfix this week (Ice Storm damage cut by ~50%) but I feel that it didn't make much of a difference. Blizzards will still kill people by snaring them twice a second, and they still do enough damage that standing in them isn't an option. Thankfully, practice makes perfect and it only took us 17 attempts to get our 2nd kill with our 4th healer swapping back to his main (still healing, but we lost NR totem and need to use Aspect).
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Treck » Fri May 06, 2011 6:26 pm

The stormlings are stunnable and slowable, i try to never move them after they reach me.
If i have to move for the tornado, i just stunn them and run.
Your going to want to use bubble to clear your stacks at some point aswell, and why not time it up for a tornado that would otherwise make you have to move (after 10+ stacks) and just bubble so that you can run through the tornado, then cancelaura as soon as your safe again.
Treck

Postby fafhrd » Fri May 06, 2011 7:38 pm

I think our 3 healers might have mana issues in P3 (we tend to have several deaths in P3 so it lasts a while too), but they haven't complained about being OOM in P2 unless we have really bad p1 lightnings, or we let the debuff fall off Al'akir in p2. We have an spriest for replenishment and Hymn of Something, a resto shaman with mana tide. We were all a bit shocked to one-shot it for our 2nd kill this week. No deaths in p1 or p2, but a healer died early in p3 and several dps dropped off one by one (not necessarily to lack of healing, I think I was too far from the remaining healers and clipped a cloud for instance).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Xenix » Fri May 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Yeah - the only reason we ever go oom in p2 is if lots of people get hit by stormlings or if the debuff gets messed up and we have to go 15+ stacks of acid rain. When everything goes right, we push him at 14 or under, and mana is fine.

In the final phase, mana is only an issue for us when healers start dying or people get knocked into lightning clouds (or if bad stuff happened in the previous phase and we're all oom already). Here's the world of logs of the last kill and our first one if you want to see what your group has different. Granted, we've only killed it twice, and the first one our shaman died mid-p3, the second both of our other healers died mid-p3, so we haven't really had an chance to see what mana is like when we do everything right. :lol:
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby Ilz » Sat May 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Currently, my group has been 3 healing it for the last 5 weeks. Druid, Priest, Shaman. I usually go into phase 2 with about 70% mana. Around 5-6 stacks I use a potion of concentration. Shortly after, I'll have a mana tide and a hymn of hope. 3 minute tranqs are a life saver now. You can use once in phase 1 if necessary or use 1 in phase 2 and then use another in phase 3. Our OT is a feral druid who was doing it as cat spec but has stuck with his regular tanking spec the last 2 weeks. We've noticed him taking less damage overall.

I must stress it is vital that your raiders know when a stormling is spawning and to tell them to move away asap. Pretty much as soon as you get into phase 3, if you don't mess up the dance, its auto kill.

For stormlings, pretty much our hunter and feral tank deal with dpsing, if they need help our warlock helps out.

Also it must be noted that sometimes, your dps can move out of lightning field rather than soaking it, I guess they just have to make smart decisions. Making sure everyone is in range of healers in phase 3 is the most important.
Ilz

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:44 am

Anyone know what website he used to make that awesome map?

I remmeber seeing one a long time ago, but it just really really helps with making strats some times.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Sun May 15, 2011 5:04 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:Anyone know what website he used to make that awesome map?

I remmeber seeing one a long time ago, but it just really really helps with making strats some times.

http://bossblueprint.com/
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:12 am

Thank you I have been looking for that forever!!
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Doraks » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Just wanted to bring up an alternate strategy we use that I've never seen recommended for phase two Al'Akir. We use a hunter turtle pet to tank the Stormlings away from the group(similar to the ret/dk offtank strat). The pet is immune to acid rain, tornado walls, and takes very minimal damage(the Stormling's AoE lightning only ticks for 250 due to Avoidance). You almost never have to heal the pet, especially if the hunter keeps Mend Pet up.

When the adds come out, I misdirect them to my pet, put up a raid marker, and bring them down to about 30% health. The other hunter in my group then kills them to stack the debuff, calling out if he needs help to finish one off. Everyone else ignores the adds and burns the boss.

Video here if anyone is interested, pet starts tanking at 1:45
Doraks

Postby Bellante » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 am

Doraks wrote:Just wanted to bring up an alternate strategy we use that I've never seen recommended for phase two Al'Akir. We use a hunter turtle pet to tank the Stormlings away from the group(similar to the ret/dk offtank strat). The pet is immune to acid rain, tornado walls, and takes very minimal damage(the Stormling's AoE lightning only ticks for 250 due to Avoidance). You almost never have to heal the pet, especially if the hunter keeps Mend Pet up.

When the adds come out, I misdirect them to my pet, put up a raid marker, and bring them down to about 30% health. The other hunter in my group then kills them to stack the debuff, calling out if he needs help to finish one off. Everyone else ignores the adds and burns the boss.

Video here if anyone is interested, pet starts tanking at 1:45

We tried this last night with 1 hunter in the raid, and as phase 2 progressed, he would not be able to keep aggro on his pet, and the pet still seemed necessary to heal quite a bit. You sure the other hunter didn't misdirect all the time as well? I mean, why wouldn't he, makes perfect sense, and the idea does seem cool, but from what I could see last night, it requires 2 hunters to do effectively. Any thought on that Doraks, I liked the strategy but just didn't work for us.

On a completely different note, we were finally getting to phase 3 semi-consistently last night, thinking "hooray, finally a kill". Then disaster struck.

Each and every time we got in p3, we had 3-4 people lag out in 10 second spikes. We've tried disabling addons and all that, and it didn't help. Anyone else seen this happen? We had the healer with most problems disabling everything but Healbot, and he still got the problem. Now granted, then Healbot might be the problem, but as we didn't have much time left, we didn't have time for him to go set up grid or some other raid frame, or to relearn playing with standard ui (the horror).

However, I don't run Healbot myself, and did get 1 of the spikes on the 2nd time we got to phase 3, I run grid and quite a few other addons, and didn't have the problem consistently.

Any ideas what might be the problem?
Bellante

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)