Ret tanks?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Ret tanks?

Postby BlackNet » Sun May 08, 2011 9:39 pm

I ran with a ret pally in the guild tonight in deadmines and we did some testing. He put up RF and his TPS was holding steady around 46k. Mine seems to hold around 10-12k. This same ret pally can easily pull off any tank just about anytime during a raid boss fight, not just at the start but in the middle or at the end, in ret he pulls some insane tps with all his stuff blown and going to town.

We have even put hand of salv on him, both with glyph and without and he can still pull (not talking about pulling off just me but many tanks) So this brought up some interesting thinking. Back in ICC days we could toss on some dps gear and yield stuff like this and I am wondering now if ret's can do something very similar to this.

Either way there seems to be a big nasty bug with ret pally's tps generation.
Uncomfortable truth : We're all pugs.
BlackNet

Re: Ret tanks?

Postby DexterBelgium » Sun May 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Eeehm: RF means Threat = DPS x 3. That means that the Ret pally was doing about 12k DPS. Sounds reasonable. If your TPS was "holding" at 10-12k, you were doing about 2.5-4k dps. Last time I checked, that's pretty much HALF of what you should be doing, even BEFORE vengeance stacking like it would on a boss fight. NOT reasonable. Unless, of cource, you fell victim to the rumoured RF bug that's been going around (have heard stories, haven't had the experience myself) ever since they made RF persist through death.

In short: the Ret pally's TPS wasn't bugged, yours was, most likely.
DexterBelgium

Postby Mannstein » Mon May 09, 2011 4:01 am

BlackNet wrote: He put up RF and his TPS was holding steady around 46k. Mine seems to hold around 10-12k. (...) Either way there seems to be a big nasty bug with ret pally's tps generation.

Can you please explain the objective of the "test"?
I didn't quite get it... It's:
A) RF increases your threat?
B) More DPS means more TPS?
C) A dps does more DPS that a tank?

Can you please explain so we can "help"?
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby RedAces » Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 am

hey,

Threat is balanced right now the tank having RF up (or Def Stance, Blood Prese, ...) and the dps having it off (no RF, Unholy/Frost Prese, Berserker / Battle Stance). So of course he'll be able to out-threat you if he has RF up (because even with 100% vengeance you're doing just half his DPS).

BlackNet wrote:So this brought up some interesting thinking. Back in ICC days we could toss on some dps gear and yield stuff like this and I am wondering now if ret's can do something very similar to this.

Bosses / Mobs that don't kill you, this is possible yes. Bosses that "maybe" kill you (Atramedes) you can use Retrigear + Shield + Protspecc to do some crazy damage,
look: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2 ... 1#Liyandra
I (Liyandra) was tanking and came out #4 of all protadins on Atramedes 25N (and ahead of some lousy trials and movement-fails^^ - please don't flame us, that was our last 25men raid and it was HORRIBLE).
On the majority of bosses you can't do that because you're gonna get gibbed, I had barely 140k HP - no block cap - nothing.

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby Sabindeus » Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 am

BlackNet wrote:Either way there seems to be a big nasty bug with ret pally's tps generation.

Are you saying he pulls ridiculous threat while RF is up or that he pulls ridiculous threat without RF?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Worldie » Mon May 09, 2011 12:32 pm

No real bug either, ret palas *do* pull a stupidly high amount of threat without RF if they are decently geared.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Mon May 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Our retri pala produces about twice the threat that our other guys do when doing similar DPS
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby BlackNet » Mon May 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
BlackNet wrote:Either way there seems to be a big nasty bug with ret pally's tps generation.

Are you saying he pulls ridiculous threat while RF is up or that he pulls ridiculous threat without RF?

He pulls a stupid amount of tps WITHOUT RF on.
BlackNet

Postby Amirya » Mon May 09, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm confused.

If he pulls stupid threat without RF, why did you/he decide he needs to try it with RF? Seems he still does stupid threat.

I guess I'm lost as to the purpose of this particular "ret with RF on" testing.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby BlackNet » Mon May 09, 2011 2:34 pm

wanted to see what he would/could pull mostly. how viable it would be and if it could be maintained.
BlackNet

Postby Sabindeus » Mon May 09, 2011 2:37 pm

BlackNet wrote:wanted to see what he would/could pull mostly. how viable it would be and if it could be maintained.

In general any DPS times 3 would be easily enough to hold aggro on other DPS.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby lythac » Mon May 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Looking through one of your logs, I'm going to assume the paladin is Filthyx.

On your last Argaloth log he maintained 27k DPS for the first 20 seconds of the fight, peaking at 40k just before Argaloth clumped him. Thankfully he did not turn into a squishy mess as he bubbled soon after.

This is the section - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o ... 64&e=16885

For the fight he did 19.4K DPS, so single target once past the start he shouldn't be pulling. The only part of the fight you have to worry about is the start due to vengeance RNG.

AW and pre-potting a str pot should help alleviate the problem.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Brekkie » Mon May 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Ret has it rough in the first 20 seconds of a fight because we don't have a fade or instant threat drop, and we have REALLY strong opener burst.And if you have to hold back on that initial opener sequence, it totally fucks your whole DPS.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon May 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Ret can be especially ridiculous early in a pull if everything seems to proc...While under the effects of wings.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Worldie » Tue May 10, 2011 1:14 am

masterpoobaa wrote:Ret can be especially ridiculous early in a pull if everything seems to proc...While under the effects of wings.

I once had a stupid amount of DP procs with everything popped (wings, zea, pot, 2k str trinket proc, landslide, hero, etc), according to WoL i did something like 60k DPS for a few seconds. God bless glyphed salv + bubble ^_^
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to General