Remove Advertisements

Timer add-on for fights like Karsh Steelbender?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Timer add-on for fights like Karsh Steelbender?

Postby Stevarian » Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 pm

I just recently built up a tank set for heroics, so I can run heroics with friends and guildies. I tanked Blackrock Caverns for the first time yesterday, and found that Karsh was a heck of a fight to get right for someone who hasn't tanked in a while.

Anyway, we managed to down him after a few tries, and got the achievement to boot, but from my perspective, it just seemed to be luck. I didn't know the duration of the buff on him from the center fire was 17 seconds (till just reading it today), I was just taking him in and out, staying out for a little while then pulling him back through. Someone said to just take him back in when the buff was about to expire....but....

I know it was kind of frantic, but for the life of me I could NOT see where the buff was at on his bar....so I had no idea how long the buff had left. I am sure there must be an add-on somewhere that would give a nice VISIBLE display of time remaining on a buff or debuff on a mob or boss. I tried searching thru curse.com, with no luck. Any decent addons that can handle this? Thanks!
Stevarian

Re: Timer add-on for fights like Karsh Steelbender?

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 am

Deadly Boss Mods has timers for 5 man content as well.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon May 09, 2011 7:14 am

Personally, when I used to run things more and tank it I noticed the debuff was always the last row of his buff/debuff grid and usually on the left of the stack.

I don't run 5man's too much right now, but one of the last ones I did run on my healer, the tank had a nice strategy.

Instead of taking him thru for 1-2 stack at a time, (and having strong dps kill him off before 15 stacks), the tank kept the boss in the fire up front and built like ~9 stacks, then did the 1-2 at a time thing. It was a bit stressfull on healing for a few moments, but then since dmg scales to stack count, it was manageable at that level. Trying to add several stacks at the end to get the achieve is risky but early, it was definitely manageable.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Kelaan » Mon May 09, 2011 9:28 am

Stevarian wrote:I know it was kind of frantic, but for the life of me I could NOT see where the buff was at on his bar....so I had no idea how long the buff had left. I am sure there must be an add-on somewhere that would give a nice VISIBLE display of time remaining on a buff or debuff on a mob or boss.

Configure your unit frame for your target to show a large-ish icon for debuffs. It's a very visible debuff, and you can see the countdown timer clock-sweep on it. (You can't (normally?) see the countdowns on debuffs from other players.)

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=75846
^-- It looks like an orange shield. It has a number in the corner indicating the number of stacks.
Kelaan

Postby Aerron » Mon May 09, 2011 9:47 am

I use DBM for this too. It has a counter that resets everytime you run him through. In default config, the bar is in the upper right area of your UI, and drops down into the center when there's about 6 seconds left.

As soon as I see the bar drop, I pull him back through.
Aerron

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons