Questions for those that play Rift

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Questions for those that play Rift

Postby daemonym » Sat May 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Ok so it's getting to the point where I have noting to do on game again. I raid 3 nights a week and that's quite fun and AH twice a day still, but that's not all that much. Add to that the fact that I just cannot stand 90% of the people on the game I don't tend to actually -do- anything on the game. So for obvious reasons, I'm hoping that the grass might be a shade or two greener with rift. Me and my girlfriend play wow together as a means to spend time with each other and we're both in the same boat with there not being much for us to do in game outside of wreak havoc on the AH and raid a couple nights a week.

I'm mostly looking for a sort of review from something close to my perspective. Somebody that takes price in doing well and knowing their class, enjoys a difficult boss for the challenge and not purples to show off to your e-friends.

How can one go about getting a free trial?

What are the major game play differences?

Is tanking a chore when you're not in raids?

Is the end game content difficult?

Is there enough of it?

What is there to actually DO in the game when you're not raiding. Mind you things like achievements and leveling a 40th alt hold zero interest for me.

If I can make 2 million gold in wow, think I'll do well in Rift? =P

Most importantly, what is the community like? If it's anything like wow I doubt I'll be interested. I don't want to be surrounded by people that just want to look cool and pretend that they're Johnny Awesome, god's gift to the world while standing in fire. I understand that it's still relatively new, but you can easily get a sense if it's filled with decent people that want to have fun or just 12 year olds that want to get carried.

And yes, there is much anger in this one.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Re: Questions for those that play Rift

Postby sahiel » Sat May 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Well, this is coming from someone who played in the Betas, bought the game, then cancelled the sub after 2 months, so take it with that in mind. In WoW i'm in a similar position, raiding 3 nights a week with my wife, playing the AH and getting bored other than that.

The mechanics are fun to start, figuring out what spells to use, what order to use them in for best effect can be great since you get SO many spells. Problem is once you've done that you realise that for all the soul combos I tried... you only really need maybe 5 or 6 of the 20+ abilities and the rest sit in your spellbook, never used.

Major game play differences? Not sure there are any. This is WoW but prettier in all the essential ways imo.

Tanking was one point I mostly found fun in raids or out, 5 mans, solo, rifts, it was certainly enjoyable, that doesn't necessarily mean useful or effective, for rifts and solo tanks are useless. That said the ease with which you can switch specs and the availability of 4 separate specs makes it very easy to play different roles if that's at all interesting.

Raiding and the expert (heroic) dungeons... I may have been spoiled by raiding in WoW from vanilla to now but the raids are boring, the dungeons are simplistic and easy, worst of all, in my personal experience there is far too little punishment for 'standing in fire', many cases healers can heal through it without trouble so people just don't care (this is truer in 5 mans than raids). When you're not raiding or running 5 mans there are always rifts spawning somewhere, if you find them enjoyable, and I certainly did you have basically endless opportunity to run them when you want and eventually a major boss will spawn in a zone once enough rifts have been defeated. Defeating rifts faster also unlocks access to extra stages, with more bosses and loot which can be a fun challenge, the only real problem I have with rifts is that there are literally no tactics, no skill involved, it's a mass pile on with everyone spamming every ability they can.

The AH... it's a goblins dream. People have no idea what they can and can't buy from vendors for a few silver, they have no idea how common drops are, how good items even are really, and so on. The big level 50 epic mount costs 125 platinum, I'd made almost 1000 plat by level 30 and had hundreds more in materials and rare/epics (speaking of... epics are a lot more common as drops).

I've played on 3 different servers, both sides, 2 pve 1 pvp and the community... is basically all from WoW so take that as you will. There are definitely people trying to make a new start and be welcoming and so on, that said, there's also the worst of trade chart trolls looking for new prey. Skillwise... hard to judge, even now they're still changing abilities in significant ways and you sometimes need to learn a brand new soul overnight if you want to keep yourself on the top of your game, the forums oddly seem to be pretty helpful when I've used them, asking people in game, less so in my experience.

Hmm... having read that over its not the most glowing recommendation and it doesn't actually convey the fact I loved the game in beta, i've had fantastic experiences at rifts battling alongside strangers and overall I really enjoyed the game but... after being level 50 for a bit I started noticing more and more of the problems I listed above and in the end it just killed the fun for me, that's my personal view anyways, if you do decide to go with it I hope it turns out great, if so give us a shout and maybe i'll try it again on your server! :)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Sat May 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Beta got old for me pretty quickly. It strikes me as a game that took all the wrong lessons from WotLK and tried to combine them with stuff I didn't care about from Warhammer.

As for the community, judging by their official forums... well... I hope they can't be accurately judged by their official forums.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Loras » Sun May 08, 2011 4:57 am

Sahiel's review is the first one that has any comments on the endgame content. What puzzled me most was that during the beta (which I enjoyed incredibly much), there were gazillion of people on these forums that ordered Rift, that changed the game, that were very ambitious to play it etc, yet in the special RIFT-topic on these general forums I asked maybe 3 times "What's the endgame like" (cause in the end, this is what actually matters and what keeps the game alive), and I never received any answer. Hardly anyone writes, or it's only people who are leveling their 3rd/4th lvl 50 character... Where did all the worshippers and Rift fanatics go :P I tried googling "RIFT endgame review" or something similar - tck, nothing. Granted, I didn't spend ages doing that but still. So yeah, for the same reasons stated above I didn't order it. Beta got boring (I loved leveling but dungeons were not fun at all), and even if it's all new shiny polished better-looking stuff, I missed the fluid controls and movement of WoW most of all. And I loved tanking, but RIFT-ing didn't encourage tanks that much either. And you don't use 2/3 of the skills you get. So yeah....

With that said, I honestly don't understand how people that already have families and a full-time job, have enough time to play WoW and to ask for another time-sink even :/ (no offense, that's not meant for daemonym, has been puzzling me since the dawn of time hehe)
Loras

Postby Worldie » Sun May 08, 2011 6:44 am

Rift has a big issue: doesn't work on Mac so I can't play it!
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Teranoid » Sun May 08, 2011 9:19 am

daemonym wrote:Most importantly, what is the community like? If it's anything like wow I doubt I'll be interested. I don't want to be surrounded by people that just want to look cool and pretend that they're Johnny Awesome, god's gift to the world while standing in fire. I understand that it's still relatively new, but you can easily get a sense if it's filled with decent people that want to have fun or just 12 year olds that want to get carried.

If this is seriously the case you might as well quit playing MMOs.
Teranoid

Postby mavfin » Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 am

Worldie wrote:Rift has a big issue: doesn't work on Mac so I can't play it!

Yeah, and it doesn't sound to me like it's good enough to be worth booting over to Win 7 for it. I have the partition and all on my 2nd HD, but, only a few games have been good enough to bother. Rift doesn't sound like it will be one.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Worldie » Sun May 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Same, i got the good old Bootcamp, but loading Windows is such an horrible thing that it would take a impressively good reason to make me do so.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Sun May 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Parallels 6 is pretty good at running games nowadays from what I understand
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Worldie » Mon May 09, 2011 12:15 am

Doesnt parallel cost like, a shitton of irl gold? :<

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby laterna » Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 am

I've been playing a lot of Rift for the past 3 weeks along with the gf...

In essence its the WoW engine slapped on with new characters and different values on the character mechanics. Healing is A LOT more potent here than in WoW, or damage is a lot lower (atleast upto lvl 40 from what I've seen in warfronts).

On the matter of the AH, no I doubt you can make a metric ton of gold. The AH is pretty dead with low level minerals, cloth and leather not moving. For a lot of players, it seems grinding for greenies is their way of income. AH just seems dead on Imperium EU, thought it might have to do with the general inactivity in Rift.

Furthermore, although I'm a late started in Rift (by 1-2 months?) the low level zones are empty. I have not done a dungeon yet, despite having passed through 5-6 dungeons upto now. Hopefully the issue will be resolved with the addition of LFG on tuesday's patch, but that is still to see.

Questing wise, there are a lot of nice quests, especially the story ones. I'd say those are on par with WoW major quests, but you still have your filler quests, in the form of collect 10 of these and kill 10 of these. The only dislike I have on the questing system is the way it becomes punishing for group leveling. Me and the gf have often found ourselves entering a zone a level short and having to make up for it with WF's and rift grinding. A specific image is leaving Gloamwood at lvl 27 with another guy that was doing the quests by us being 29. Also there is no 2nd zone to level in. If you dislike a zone (I hated the desert zone) you have to either suck it up, do WF's, or grind rifts(which don't occur that often, and you can only gain xp from close to your level rifts).
laterna

Postby Nothan » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

I play Rift after I do my AH business since I don't raid other than the weekend with my friends.

I got the game on release day, but I didn't really get into it and stopped for a bit after hitting 25. It feels very WoW mixed with Warhammer for me. The rifts you destroy that randomly spawn in the world are pretty much like public quests in Warhammer. Recently I started playing again and just hit 35 on my mage last night, but the lowbie zones are kind of desolate...perhaps that's also because maybe my server is low population, but I can't tell as I just randomly chose one on launch date that was open.

The AH on my server seems dead....there's literally one page per category when I look stuff up to buy. Not sure what's going on there. Either people don't sell mats and everyone is busy leveling their own tradeskills or my server is really a barren wasteland. I have a measly 20 platinum at 35 most of it coming through quests and selling some greens on the AH. I use my cloth materials to level Outfitting and never sell those.

Back to the questions:

- I don't think there is a free trial of Rift.

- Major game play differences, personally I don't feel it's very different from WoW. Other than the fact that you can just make all 4 basic classes, learn all the souls and essential do whatever you want in a group. For example, I did one instance and they needed CC, but my leveling build doesn't have CC. I just switch to my other mage spec which has CC and use that for trash pulls that require CC, then I switch back to my main dps spec on the boss. It's really quite convenient.

- I have no idea about tanking, it seems like Rogues can tank 5 mans with proper soul setup as well as Warriors and threat seems to be OK.

- End game content, I'm not sure. If you look on youtube, Ciderhelm has a bunch of videos he made about the expert 5 mans and the raid encounters with strategies. They do not look too hard to be honest. The instances I've done while leveling are ridiculously easy. People were typing out walls of text explaining the encounter and

That's about all I can really answer from how much I've played.
Nothan

Postby Sabindeus » Mon May 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Worldie wrote:Doesnt parallel cost like, a shitton of irl gold? :<

usually $50 USD... it also usually gets included in various mac software packages like the MacUpdate bundle or MacHeist... I don't think I've ever paid full retail for just Parallels
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Mon May 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Worldie wrote:Doesnt parallel cost like, a shitton of irl gold? :<

usually $50 USD... it also usually gets included in various mac software packages like the MacUpdate bundle or MacHeist... I don't think I've ever paid full retail for just Parallels

That's how I got my copy. $50 for 9 software titles I don't use and Parallels.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby PsiVen » Mon May 09, 2011 6:05 pm

MMOs almost by definition lack much endgame at launch. It's an unfortunate thing, because the best you can really get is a rough plan. The only recent game I can think of that actually did a top-down content design was so obscure that I can't even remember the name -- the premise involved everything being about elite raiding, and unsurprisingly the game was as deep as a varicose vein.

That doesn't really excuse the rest of Rift's problems, but endgames should be expected to take many months after launch to properly develop. Maybe someday a new game will reinvent the paradigms and deliver content that doesn't need to shift abruptly in pacing when you reach a level cap, but it hasn't happened yet.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Next

Return to General