Postby yappo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 pm

econ21 wrote:It might be worth adding an AH "watch list" for BoE epics:

[Don Rodrigo's Fabulous Necklace] : BoE Dungeon Drop
[Heaving Plates of Protection] : The Bastion of Twilight (Normal) BoE Raid Drop
[Pauldrons of Edward the Odd] : BoE World Drop
[Icebone Hauberk] : BoE Dungeon Drop
[Soul Blade]
[Blockade's Lost Shield] : BoE

They won't come cheap, but I think a failsafe guide is particularly useful for people - perhaps like ourselves - who struggle to get raid drops and may be willing and able to fork out where possible to compensate. I list them because, with the exception of the hauberk, they are very nice items that you won't want to replace in a hurry.

I would have added them long ago hadn't it been for my experience of a low pop server. It took until today until I could lay my hands on the Soul Blade. Party due to gold-constraints, but mostly because today was the second time I even SAW one on the AH. I have yet to see the necklace or shield. I bought the only copy of Heaving plates I've ever seen, and I bought the only copy of Edwards I've seen for a guildie. I got the Hauberk cheap for my threat and interrupt set (two different sets, and I guess I COULD build the crafted chest for better threat, but the Hauberk is less bad for a tank than the crafted due to two yellow sockets). Once again that hauberk was the sole copy I've ever seen. Thus 'failsafe' doesn't really ring true.
yappo

Re: Failsafe gearing guide

Postby yappo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:19 am

Updated to take the new gemslot for the crafted shield into consideration.

I'll see if 4.1 comes with any other changes as far as the failsafe list goes. The quests I've completed in the new heroics haven't yielded anything worth adding, but I haven't done them all.
yappo

Postby Archeth » Sun May 01, 2011 2:32 pm

In the new ZG/ZA we have a few BoE drops which might be worth adding, especially since some of them can go for very little due to being items for which there are exalted rep alternatives or just not a lot of demand:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=69801 - baby version of the Ramkahen bracers, but with more strength
http://www.wowhead.com/item=69800 - dodge/parry cloak, on our high population server there's a shitton up for 600-700g each, possibly an option for someone who wants to focus on grinding other reps than Hyjal first I guess
http://www.wowhead.com/item=69802 - hit/expertise ring, obviously not an optimal tank piece but it might be worth a look for some aspiring tanks
http://www.wowhead.com/item=69803 - hit/haste mace, not great but on some realms they go for as little as 500g
Archeth

Postby yappo » Wed May 04, 2011 3:26 am

Archeth wrote:In the new ZG/ZA we have a few BoE drops which might be worth adding, especially since some of them can go for very little due to being items for which there are exalted rep alternatives or just not a lot of demand:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=69801 - baby version of the Ramkahen bracers, but with more strength
http://www.wowhead.com/item=69800 - dodge/parry cloak, on our high population server there's a shitton up for 600-700g each, possibly an option for someone who wants to focus on grinding other reps than Hyjal first I guess
http://www.wowhead.com/item=69802 - hit/expertise ring, obviously not an optimal tank piece but it might be worth a look for some aspiring tanks
http://www.wowhead.com/item=69803 - hit/haste mace, not great but on some realms they go for as little as 500g

Thanks.

I'll probably add a BoE -section as I'm seeing the AH getting swamped with the items.
yappo

Postby yappo » Wed May 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Updated.

Fixing some errors and added a short section on gearing for farm-content.
yappo

Postby dirtypally » Fri May 20, 2011 12:20 pm

I am in mixed cata epics and blues, i see tons of tanks rolling with 180k health all the time but i can't really see their mitigation levels. My mitigation is at 73% with only 132k unbuffed, is that ok to start raiding. I have been to ZG/A and got most of the stuff.

Dirtypally, Black Dragonflight US
dirtypally

Postby lythac » Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 pm

dirtypally wrote:I am in mixed cata epics and blues, i see tons of tanks rolling with 180k health all the time but i can't really see their mitigation levels. My mitigation is at 73% with only 132k unbuffed, is that ok to start raiding. I have been to ZG/A and got most of the stuff.

Dirtypally, Black Dragonflight US

You're fine for raiding but there are quite a few things you should sort before raiding.

Missing 3 enchants, your other enchants are a very low quality, a few pieces can be reforged for more mastery, missing 4 glyphs and some of the ones you are using are not great (Exorcism).

Sorting your enchants will net you 7k hp unbuffed.

Also your CTC is 78.47 - you get 5% miss as well.
Raid buffed you have 81.46 CTC.
Raid buffed, reforged and enchanted you have 87% CTC.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby dirtypally » Sat May 21, 2011 7:14 am

thx for the look, i am going shopping for some faction gear that i need to get and gem them properly, the exo is just for fun glyph, i know if i really tweeked her i could be higher. I'll do that when i get on next and see what happens, thx again for the look and advice.
dirtypally

Postby yappo » Sat May 21, 2011 1:00 pm

After quite some thinking I've decided against adding a drop based BoE section.

While the AH is well stocked on cheap 353 BoE, they're still not failsafe.

BoE drops will have to end up in another guide. This one is for those who are not merely paranoid -- they're actually correct about RNG deliberately targetting them.

So I'll stick to my list of what's guaranteed to be available for you. Horribly expensive in some cases, but guaranteed.
yappo

Postby dirtypally » Tue May 24, 2011 7:18 am

dirtypally wrote:thx for the look, i am going shopping for some faction gear that i need to get and gem them properly, the exo is just for fun glyph, i know if i really tweeked her i could be higher. I'll do that when i get on next and see what happens, thx again for the look and advice.

Did some more tweeking. Got the tanking legs from Wildhammer, gemmed and put them on. I couldn't find windwalker enchant in AH or didn't feel like 3k for the other expensive one for some other peice of gear enchant, couldn't remember what the enchant was. But i got 5 other enchants and redid my glyphs, but I'm gonna miss my exo :cry: it's always fun pulling a demon boss with a guaranteed crit and a dot.

Dirtypally, Black Dragonflight
dirtypally

Postby yappo » Wed May 25, 2011 4:07 am

Warning:

Agility gear will probably become useless for tanking come patch 4.2.

My gearing list stays as it is until things go live, but be careful with the more expensive agility-orientated items you find in it.
yappo

Postby yappo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Come 4.2 I'll change the disposition of the gearing guide slightly, and move a bit in the direction of Digren's guide.

The reason is that we'll have two types of non-RNG gearing tankadins.

The green tank who recently dinged 85 and thus can't get inside a five-man heroic and even less a raid.
The hc-farmer and casual raiding tank.

Given that it's mid June and I'm sitting with a grand total of one raid-drop we can assume RNG could posit a problem even for someone who do indeed get to raid.

However, those are two distinctly different stages, and while I won't follow Digren's definition of stages I'll split gear into what can be had without setting foot in an instance, and what requires JP/VP/funny reputation gained from killing crap in instances. That way I won't feel bad when I argue that a 2200 VP raiding piece is indeed a failsafe item.
yappo

Postby yappo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:32 am

I have obsoleted the entire guide as 4.2 is being released and this guide is not yet updated. An updated version is in production.
yappo

Re: Failsafe gearing guide, 4.2

Postby yappo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:28 pm

And the guide should be current again. Please yell at me if you find glaring mistakes.
yappo

Re: Failsafe gearing guide, 4.2

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:21 pm

What is your opinion of http://www.wowhead.com/item=70992 and its heroic counterpart http://www.wowhead.com/item=71415.

I know the agility is useless (except for a bit of crit chance), but stick two 40 mastery gems in there and you have a normal mode cloak with 175 mastery rating and a heroic mode cloak with 193 mastery rating (reforge the hit to avoidance).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice