CC is for pussies.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Blåtann » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:50 pm

If I do heroics with randoms (it happens) I start of with: No need to sap/sheep/trap. Yet they still do. Then my consecration ticks and they get the picture... after a while.
Blåtann

Postby Keiran » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:51 am

Its damn hard to convince people not to CC in heroics. I dislike pugs :< Always someone that will want to stun the mob i just pulled or stupid stuff like that.

Or the mage that thinks that AP Pyro + PoM Pyro and AOE is fun... Dammit im not a warrior.

If they are clever they wait with their pyro blasts, AOEs n stuff til I actually get hit, and then im all for it. The more AE the faster it goes.

Kind of hard to convince the healer that i can AE tank in heroics though.
Keiran

Postby Alienne » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:52 am

Every time a rogue saps when I haven't asked him to, I specifically target that mob for my Avenger's Shield.

It takes a few pulls, but eventually they get the picture.
Alienne

Postby Korath » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:38 am

I dont mind people CCing early in the isntance when they are unsure what i can take / healer can heal. After the 1st couple of pulls they can see Im running out of mana and healer is at full mana we can drop it.

If they continue to do it anyway I start getting annoyed.

Oh and mages / priests that CC either before I throw sheild or WAY after when the mobs are in my cons.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Domodios » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:45 pm

Important words for tanking...

"Know how much you and your healers can take and for how long!"

The place for CC is right before you go into a situation that you think could wipe you. Hesitation my casue you to lose time but so does running back. Generaly I have CC on all caster mobs and mass tank the melee first. AOE and high threat is all good but if your causing DoT'ing or AoE'ing mobs to run free your in for heart and gear break.
Domodios

Postby plisken451 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:19 pm

Somewhere in the second half of a run, I start letting the others pity-CC. (on runs where it isn't terribly useful) just so they don't feel like they aren't being used to their potential.

I actually had some guild members complain to another officer (I'm the RL) that they didn't like the fact that I don't use their CC in some instances. Boggles my mind. Why a hunter would rather deal with making sure that some target is iced, and doesn't run after him, and doesn't go for the healer, RATHER than, it coming straight to me, and sticking like glue, is beyond me.
ImageRetired

Mirraluun - Asmodian Chanter - Fregion Server - Eated by hackers
plisken451

Postby Katatonia » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 pm

I have never understood that either. Almost anyone who can CC is also quite good at AE'ing, and given the choice between the two, I don't understand how anyone would pick CC as their role. I can't stand doing CC on my lock, I'd much rather being tossing seeds at everything in sight.
Katatonia

Postby Melathys » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:05 am

I've found out why I've never really done mana tombs. Can't aoe tank pretty much the whole instance. Multiple priests making trash pulls last forever, darkcasters burning mana, gouging...ugh, hate mana tombs.

Really wish they'd give avenger shield a brief silence effect, so we could pull casters (though hunter types would still be a pain, but whatever)
Melathys

Postby Stumpytheozzie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Yes, CC is for pussies.

Even if I manage somehow to die - like my cat jumps on my keyboard, or there's a blackout or something - the speed and efficiency of AoE makes up for any durability and time losses.

I honestly think the last time i actually died properly was level 33 - before I specced prot.

jumping off Thunder bluff and "hearthing" back to thrallmar for hand ins doesn't count as a death.
Stumpytheozzie

Postby Rykis » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:00 pm

If done correctly it can help. It usually isn't done correctly, however. I find it works best to mark your CC target with a moon, and tell the CCer to zap em AFTER the AS. In this case you usually keep the aggro after the sleep goes away, because the most aggro done was by your AS to the target thus far.

For the most part, though, CC means Continuous Consecration.
Rykis

Postby Somrael » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:34 am

I run with a hunter from my guild who's CC specced, and I pretty much sic him on casters. The way we mark, he has his own symbol and I tell him I don't care what he does to that mob as long as I don't have to worry about it, whether that means killing it/silence/frost trap, whatever.

That being said, I only mark CC on casters; it took my guild a long time to get used to it since they had only run with a hybrid warrior for a tank before, but they're getting used to the idea that with a good healer melee mobs can rain down on me. I agree that it can be frustrating in a party that has everyone wanting to feel special; I had a mage complaining that he didn't like AS because he preferred poly pulls! Tankadins have really made a comeback on my server lately, but everyone else is still adjusting. But as long as the healer understands where we're coming from, I can break CC all day. ;)
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
Somrael

Postby Annabelle » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:44 pm

Ya I don't get the NEED to CC, I mean it downs the DPS of the class. I was gonna do arc normal, easy run. I frisbee one set of archers at the beginning then run up the ramp and arund the little bit of the wall to los pull the two, drop consecrate and notice only one attacking me, I wonder hmmmm, then shrug on the inside, I figure someone attacked it and they should die then it will come to me. Archer one dies so I run out nad the other is sheeped....I never called for a sheep or even marked either of the mobs, I go up and tank him, he dies. I say in /y NO SHEEPING !!!, she said I thought we needed to sheep him, I said we don't need ANY CC in here. It's like fricken pulling teeth to break people of their CC habbit. When I play any of my other toons that can CC I'm much happier to not have to and be responsible for that mob.
Keep your friends close and your curly fries even closer.
Annabelle

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:03 pm

What's funny is I've seen threads on warrior boards complaining about how people don't know how to CC properly.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Sparti » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:43 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:What's funny is I've seen threads on warrior boards complaining about how people don't know how to CC properly.

what the hell do warriors have to complain about? MOB BROEKD CC AND ATE CHARGES ON MY SHIELD BLOCK >:|

Drink Time, Wimps! -- A blog.
Sparti

Location: Probably contributing to Sprint's wonderful track record of horrible customer service.

Postby Invisusira » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:57 am

A Warrior wrote:It's interesting to see how the other half of the plate wearing tanks work. :P Also I don't see any videos of you pulling off miraculous feats with cc's nearby? ;)

He says that like it's a bad thing!
Invisusira

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats